Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Worst astro weather i can remember.....

russ

Just saw the weather forecast for my part of the world for the next week - cloud every day with a slight possibility of a clear sky on Thursday night (I'll believe that when it happens)

The mother-in-law who lives in Scarborough sent a text about the lunar eclipse just before Xmas. Didn't see that and I don't imagine I'll see the partial solar one this week either.

There were some clear nights although not many during the very cold weather but it was just too cold and dangerous underfoot in my garden.

Geoff

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Well...for saying metcheck still has us at 0% cloud...one look out tells me it's actually 100% :eek:

same for me. Only the bbc has called it right for me today.

Darn it, I was looking forward to a clear night too.

I had high hopes for the Crimbo/New year holiday ... the last two years before this one had been brill for me... this ones been really dire.... :eek:

I am going to keep away from weather forecasts this year and just take things as they come .. no forward planning and grand ideas...

The "prediction" onthe Weather station I have setup seems pretty good...

Billy...

Clear skies 2weeks before Crimbo but bloomin cold on the fylde coast, just managed an 1/2 hr at a time with binos but must have been the clearest ive ever seen it.

Likewise with the forecast, I was looking at met office site as I reckon they all get the weather from them, but sure as eggs is eggs the forecasted clear skies turned to cloud 3 hrs before, typical!!

I had high hopes for the Crimbo/New year holiday ... the last two years before this one had been brill for me... this ones been really dire.... :eek:

I am going to keep away from weather forecasts this year and just take things as they come .. no forward planning and grand ideas...

The "prediction" onthe Weather station I have setup seems pretty good...

Billy...

You would think after all the snow we would have had some clear, frosty nights. We've been living under a cloud since Christmas day.

Yey! a good rant / get it off yer chest thread!

I was up on Xmas morning at 5am. Tried to do some widefield stuff but guess what.... the clouds came!

You buy new gear and it's always cloudy! It just sucks! :)

I guess we need more patience :eek:

The BBC weather centre claims that we are currently experiencing "sunny intervals" that will be shortly followed at 15:00 by "clear skies", so far we have 100% cloud cover with not a break in the clouds in sight. Well done Met Office :slow hand clap:

Well despite the forecast saying 0% cloud, it was definitely closer to 100%, as others have mentioned above. Not to be deterred I went out to see what I could see. With the naked eye it was flat stratus grey, but through the scope with averted vision I think I could make out some stratocumulus. Which, had Messier been British, would have been M45.

Well despite the forecast saying 0% cloud, it was definitely closer to 100%, as others have mentioned above. Not to be deterred I went out to see what I could see. With the naked eye it was flat stratus grey, but through the scope with averted vision I think I could make out some stratocumulus. Which, had Messier been British, would have been M45.

That's a great observing session Julian, you really packed a lot in there - the best I have read so far. :eek: Stuff the Messier list, you have inspired me to start a cloud list - there's only ten to look out for, it's gonna be tricky...

I think Steve (Steppenwolf) is a bit of an expert "cloud watcher" and gives lectures...

If it was a pro rata topic at an imaging day it would probably take up a good 80-90% of the time available....

Not looking good for the eclipse in the morning either I was going to have to take a trip down Gower to get a low horizon anyway :eek:

Billy...

just got your reploy, the information you sent was very useful and is now set up on my computor, not having a telescope before its all a bit complicated but I am sure we will get there in the end. thanks Russ

Derek and Sandra

Archived