NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

A Big Hello from Hull

Intergalactic

Hello all,

I've been lurking around the forum since 'googling' for advice on a choice of telescope a few days ago. I'm very pleased to have found you all and the advice available here is so helpful

I've been very much into astronomy for the last 30 years and studied physics, earth sciences and such with the Open University. Strangely, I've never owned a telescope and although I just love the night sky I couldn't tell Leo from the Big Dipper until a couple of years ago!

My father in law gave me a pair of old bino's a few months back. He'd been using them for bird watching but I decided to turn them to the sky and my passion for the heavens was re awakened more than I could have imagined

I decided I wanted to see Andromeda and hey . . . I found it! strange how a tiny smudgy patch of fuzzy white(ish) sky can make the heart race!

Anyway, I'm going to learn a lot more and pick up my reading from years ago. I think my first astronomical purchase will be a better pair of bino's because I just get the feeling that no matter how big a telescope I eventually end up with I'll go back to the bino's often and get a lot of use from them

Anyone any thoughts on this?

Thank you all so much for sharing your knowledge and experience here with beginners like me, it's very much appreciated

Dave

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi dave

A warm welcome to the forum, yes I think a good pair of Binoculars is a great Idea

I use for grab and go a pair of Opticron 15x80 and a tripod horizon 8115 great for them time when setting up a scope in this very cold weather is too much

Doug

Essex UK

Hi Dave, a very warm welcome to SGL, binos are a very good way to view the night sky, have a look in our bins section, you will see a free program called TUBA, these are star maps specifically prepared for bins, you can configure them to suit your viewing preferences, hope you enjoy the forum.

John.

Archived