Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What Dob

Am thinking about getting a Dob,

But which one.

Have thought about Skywatcher solid tube and truss, but des anybody have views on the meade lightbridge

One other thing, standing at just over 5ft. can anybody tell me the height of a 8" and 10" dob

Optically there's not much to choose between them. However the SkyWatcher truss system is so much easier to setup and use than the LB that the SkyWatcher gets my vote if you're looking for a truss type dob.

Up to 10" I'd suggest going with a solid tube dob. Its only when you get to 12" that the truss's advantage of collapsing to a smaller size becomes really worthwhile.

BTW the SkyWatcher truss dobs are slightly heavier than the solid tube versions. The truss mechanism weighs more than the equivalent length of solid tube it replaces.

John

Hi Pat

Having met you in person and having a 10" dob myself and knowing you have a bad back I would recommend you go with the 8" dob. It's ultimately your decision what you go for but I would hate to see you waste anymore of your money. The 8" will perform as good as your 200p but obviously you would have to give it frequent nudges unless you got the tracking dob which I believe in the SW range only comes as truss. I think orion do a solid tube tracking model???

It's not so much how it sits for viewing but the bear hugging the OTA (itself stands 3' 9" and a diameter of 11.5") to your observation site would require a fair effort and the bases aren't that light either.

Good luck with which ever one you do choose to go with.

Clear skies

SPACEBOY

PS. The bases are not adjustable you would have to mod this or make wooden wedges for the patio

I put a comparison review between the 10" Lightbridge and the 200p Skywatcher on the Dobsonian group forum. This might help. In addition to mobility I have found the 10" picks up loads of light pollution compared to the 8". the truss is a pain as are all the silly niggley things that Meade could have thought of.

I'd go for the 200p Skyliner and if you can get a bogey/ wheeled board this'll help. Although with 3 degrees of slope you might need brakes. For just sitting the base down that degree of slope shouldn't matter.

The 200P is a cracking scope. I bought a Skyliner 250PX to replace my Skyliner 200P but ended up selling the 250PX. From the backgarden there was very little between the deepsky views, the 250PX was obviously showing more but not as much as you would hope. While the 200P was easier on my cheap set of eyepieces.

The reduced weight of 200P made it easy to carry around the garden as a whole. Still possible with the 250 but it was more of a stumble round the garden.

I had the 8" Skywatcher solid tube dob and it was superb.

I still have the 10" Skywatcher solid tube dob and it is even better BUT - I've done my already dodgy back in using it !!!!!!

Both are good, with the benefit of hindsight I should have stayed with the 8".

re the leveling I would not worry too much about this unless you want to use setting circles and encoders and such. if you are using the scope manually for visual, then as long as the scope will physically stand safely then you'll naturally account for the slope yourself when viewing, dobs a really very intuitive.

obviously if you want to add adjusters to allow leveling this will be fine too - dob owners are by their very nature meddlers.

I think either an 8" or a 10" would be fine for your height but the 10" would be a fair bit heavier. personally I always sit to observe on a home made Denver style chair http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97962-observing-chair.html quick and easy and really helps the back and the observing.

I have a 10" dob If you take a look at my profile some good pic's of said scope, Plus you can stick a lot of gear to them, I now have mine out in my obby and bolted to the ground but for a long time i was moving it in and out of the house with no prob's if i ever upgrade i'll find it hard to part with this scope.

Archived