Greetings !

Silvermoon

Hello everyone !

Me names Kenny and Im new to all of this :D

I went on Youtube and stumbled across looking at stars as I have always been fascinated whenever I look up into the sky.

I dont know anything much about twinkling heavens and I am now interested into learning and seeing what is up there like all of yous !

I would like to explore what the heavens have. And have many questions in the near future.

Photographing planets looks so interesting, as well as just filming them.

My wish is to one day capture a ufo. :D Because there was once where me and me friends were at a lake under the clear lit sky, we saw something that looked like stars, but the way they moved made us question that was it really a satellite or not.

However I would really like to see the craters of the moon, and the beautiful Saturn as well.

Kenny.

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Hi Kenny and welcome to the forum. Astrophotography (the Dark Side) is very popular with a lot of astronomers and this forum displays a weekly summary (Picture of the Week) of the images that have been captured by the forum's industrious imagers. However, imaging at its best doesn't come cheap and requires plenty of cash and plenty of time to both capture and process the data.

Again welcome to SGL and clear skies for your observing.

James

Hello Folks:

I am Manny. I am just a begginer. Got my first good telescope equipment about a year ago. I had a conventional Canon 40D that worked well for a while, then I decided to get a CCD camera but I haven't been able to use it as much as I wanted.

I am very interested in astrophotography and I look forward to post and share with you guys my images.

I hope weather gets better here in Toronto.

Look forward to learn and to have a good time.

Cheers!

Manny

Hi Kenny and welcome to SGL from me too :D

A good way to start is with a pair of binoculars. You'll see a lot more detail on the moon for starters and that's what got us into astronomy. You'll also get to learn your way around the heavens using the constellations as a good first guide. Some good first objects with binocs include M42, Andromeda Galaxy, and the Beehive cluster to get you going.

Also - download Stellarium - it's free planetaria software - you'll love it.

All the best :D

Welcome to SGL Kenny

I agree with brantuk you should get a pair of binoculars FLO have celestron 15x70 for £50 great for the moon star clusters i love looking at the pleiades with mine but would recommend getting a tripod for them :D

Thanks for all your warm welcomes everyone !!!

Binoculars it will be Kris! :D

Thanks for the info Brantuk, I really appreciate it ! There seems so much to learn and it feels a bit scary to be honest.

Im suprised that there are so many people on this forum and im even more suprised that many of you people are friendly ! Its like a new world opened for me !!

I have to search for a cheap but decent binoculars, the postage will hurt for me if I purchase something overseas as im in Australia. I'll try to find a decent pair here first, if all fails I will ask FLO for the total price and see if I can be good to me wife and have her say the "ok" word hehehehehe. Me wife is me boss, sometimes :D !

I have been checking out the weekly pictures as JBM1165 has mentioned and my jaws just dropped ! Its like a new world out there but visible here for us... Just fascinating.

Thanks all for your humble welcomes again...

Kenny

Archived