Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter and Ganymede in good seeing

johnh

SPX350 F28.1, EQ6, Flea3, Astrodon filters.

Tried the 2xPM and 2xC Ultima to get somewhere between 9+10 meters and the seeing looked good for once - near 7.5/10. Alt was 60 deg as seeing has been reported better before culmination. This is my best effort yet and with the large moon Ganymede nearby I though I would image the moon before it got behind Jupiter and it showed no detail on screen as atmosphere smudged it around but the green when process showed the most detail. Ganymede was taken in 16bit while Jupiter image was in 8bit mode to begin with, got some more to process but should be similar quality?

Thanks, John.

post-15219-133877496583_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877496588_thumb.jpg

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thats a beauty John, i wondered when you would get the conditions for something like this. And here it is, the processing looks real nice, so natural totally real, i can see the quality has enabled you to do a minimum of sharpening. letting the image speak for itself as it were. And lovely detail on the moon. good scale. I see your skys can deliver then. And must be happy with the fleas performance. Was worth getting that nice camera it seems. Also gets my vote for POW

was worth the wait John

Thanks chaps, this was my fifth night attempt at Jupiter and it took 3 hours of processing to get it finished but I could tweak away for next two days easily if the weathers cloudy.

We get nasty short lived thunderstorms here with a wet few months and my EQ6 like in UK is outside with plastic cover over and has served me well - over 3 years old, I use the EQ6 on a low pedestal on the balcony which I though would not be stable but its fine provided I keep still. I use EQmod which allows finer control in keeping Jupiter centred when it drifts without sudden moves at long fl.

Have a contrast tweaked resized version with better processed moon. Image of the scope on mount taken by my Mother - the only one not blurred! I use 4x5kg counterweights on an extended bar and scope slews with no problems when balanced, the 2 year old mirror is starting to look filthy atm but I am resisting urge to wash it for time being. Drawback of big scope is seeing is only occassionally good enough to capture a good image at long fl - just keep checking collimation!!

Thanks, John.

post-15219-133877497092_thumb.jpg

post-15219-133877497098_thumb.jpg

Archived