Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

That was a treat... :)

Tim

I just got some new Celestron 15x70 Skymaster binos from FLO.

Putting the dogs out tonight I saw that there was a clear patch, and it was surprisingly dark for here, with even a tiny hint of milky way visible.

Grabbing the new binos I had time to find and enjoy M45, M31, M33, M81&M82, Albireo, the double cluster and possible M57, and all four of Jupiters big moons, all within a couple of minutes.

Needless to say, I'm a happy bunny :o

Ive just ordered a pair of these myself today from FLO.

I had been using a pair of old army 7x45's while i was doing my astrophotography, untill i decided to clean the remnants of the 2nd world war from inside the objective lens!, only to brake one of them!:)

Still, now i will have a nice new shiney pair of 15x70's to keep me happy!

As they say, "from bad comes good"..or have i just invented that saying!:o

That's part of the problem/solution Mick. I know exactly where it is, and although tiny, there was a bright patch, so I'm gonna tick that box I think :o

I was especially pleased with M81/82, as I always found them tricky to find in the dob when we had it, but the wide field offered by the bins is ideal for placing them. And I used our laser pointer to show the Mrs, but her neck wasn't up to the viewing angles :)

Anyone have a link to the binocular objects list?

Anyone have a link to the binocular objects list?

http://www.lightandmatter.com/binosky/binosky.html

http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/binomess/binomess.html

http://www.astroleague.org/al/obsclubs/dsbinoc/dsbinoc.html

also get the book in Patrick Moores Practical Astronomy series called Binocular Astronomy by Stephen Tonkin

Thanks for the interesting posts with these binos:)..

On a whim I bid on (and won:p) a pair of Telescope House 25x100 binoculars...they arrived a couple of days ago. I thought the postage was steep at £15, but...they weigh about 6kg:eek:!!

So, my question is, can anyone recommend a suitable tripod for mounting these beasts on, without breaking the bank?:o

Anyone come across this size of bino before? I'm hoping they will give great low power views, but I know at that weight they will need a proper mounting...any thoughts on a suitable tripod/head and cost would be much appreciated!

thanks

Dave:)

Excellent, thank you. I think the binos will make a great addition to my obsy as well, once my rig is up and away doing its thing I can use them to peruse the sky at leisure :o

I have been unable to do M57 in my 15x70s, I have viewed it in my Lightbridge but never in the bins.

Last night managed the dumbell nebula through them though, ok its a smudge but it was still a wow moment on many levels.

Viewed 3 other Messier objects that I have never managed to find before...awsome 30mins for me.

All hail the skymasters!

Archived