Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

a run in with the law!

starstalker

so i was out last night at my usual dark site(rye harbour) trying to image Jupiter with my dslr and neximage(very badly i might add),when a car pulled in to the far end of the carpark and put his headlights on full:mad: then started to drive towards me,i kept my eye up to the EP in an attempt to try to save my night vision but as i did i heard the car pull up next to me i turned round and realised it was a police car. "wow!! thats a massive telescope!" the driver said "thanks for noticing" i said with a chuckle, the 2 officers both got out and told me they had come down to see if the could see the i.s.s pass over,one of them also said he was really interested in astronomy and had thought about buying a scope a few months back, so i said "here have a look", they both had a good look at jupiter and both were almost speechless at what they saw, after a good half hour chat and me telling them a couple of good apps on the iphone for astronomy, they said they had to go, i told them if its a clear night that i would probably be at the same spot if they fancied another look, they said they would deffo be coming back and maybe bring some other interested colleagues with them if i didnt mind, i said no problem,i did add as they pulled off"if u do come back please please dont drive towards me with the headlights on" they laughed and said no problem! so i fully expect on my next night out to be visited by the law for a viewing again,hopefully not too many at once as i will think im being raided!!!:):)

I got a visit from the law when i was in a costal carpark back in June trying a southern milkway mosaic...

They though I was an early arrival for the midnight Cruise and clifftop drag race... Guess working out of the V6 didnt help...

As it turned out I decided to leave when the first parciptants started turning up...

Peter...

Similar thing happened to me at a Travel Lodge/Motorway services - cept it was mid evening so still quite light.

I was watching saturn come out from behind the moon in binocs. The cops were pretty amazed that those two objects were lined up with the earth (Saturn was just a dot) - one said "You only usually see that kind of thing on Tomb Raider" lol. Both were full of questions about about how you know when celestial events are gonna happen.

Very refreshing not being stopped for speeding lol

I was out a month ago at my ob site, and I do get the odd car going past, so I was viewing at the scope when I heard a car coming past, thought nothing of it? The next minute I was lit up like something out of close encounters, full Dragon lights from 2 police vans! Just checking the common looking for a missing person, which wasn't me by the way:p

My night vision was finished and for about 20 minutes after the event I could not focus on anything at the scope:D

The officers were slightly interested to know why someone would be out at 02:00 on his own, but did show a genuine interest in my imaging setup, When I look back now I find it very funny, but at the time for a few seconds I Had no idea what was going on, the Dragon lights were so bright I thought I was going to get beamed up somewhere.:)

Ray

Nice one, it probably made there night actually finding something interesting out on their travels

Get friendly with them, it will come in handy for "convincing" annoying neighbors to turn off annoying garden lighting :)

Ive had the police chopper buzz me a few times, no doubt they had a good look at me with there thermal imaging cameras to make sure I wasn't launching a SAM or something.

I carnt blame them really with me being in site of Manchester's approach path.

Ive had the police chopper buzz me a few times, no doubt they had a good look at me with there thermal imaging cameras to make sure I wasn't launching a SAM or something.

Lol I had something similar happen to me a while ago. There was police chopper buzzing around our area searching for something and I'm fairly sure they took a good look at me! Probably because, as you said, they may have thought I was setting something 'dodgy' up. Lol

But back to the first post of the thread. It's nice to hear stories like this about the police. Its easy to demonise them, but at the end of the day, they're still people like you and me. I still smile when I watch that video of the officers using a riot shield as a sledge during the snow falls earlier this yet. :)

The next minute I was lit up like something out of close encounters, full Dragon lights from 2 police vans!

, but at the time for a few seconds I Had no idea what was going on, the Dragon lights were so bright I thought I was going to get beamed up somewhere.:)

Ray

That's hillarious!!!:) I have tears in my eyes from laughing so hard!!!

Thanks

Brian

Many years ago I made a 6" Maksutov for the Porton Down establishment (they said it was for their smallbore rifle club). Arriving in the area early I parked up in the Stonehenge visitors car park. Having nothing better to do, I got the scope out and started scanning around terrestrially. I almost immediately got pounced upon by the Police who reckoned I was spying on the establishment, fortunately I had sufficient paperwork with me to justify my presence!

I had a similar experience a few years ago. The Police were looking for someone and one of them asked me if I had seen anyone in the area, when I said no the other one replied "What with a big telescope like that" :)

Archived