Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

A special M51

Talitha

I usually don't post here, but this sketch is special..

it's the first DSO done using the new 16" LightBridge.

:)

It was incredible how much more nebulosity the LB showed compared to the 8"SCT i'd been using for over 10 years. :D The spiral structure was picked up quite easily with averted vision and surprisingly enough, the brighter areas were seen with direct vision, albeit dimmer than what was seen avertedly.

Try as i might though, i just couldn't detect the bridge connecting the two galaxies. Their extended arms were seen, but i'm guessing the time of year and low altitude might have had something to do with it. I'll definitely try it again when things are more favorable.

Plain computer paper, a B graphite pencil, and a blending stump were used to make the sketch. It was reversed to a negative image while being scanned, and i tried to darken the sky a bit in a photo program but the nebulosity suffered so i left it alone. That's ok though, just think of the slight grey in the background as being the August twilight. :D

Thanks for looking! :)

post-13732-133877467833_thumb.jpg

It seemed obvious that the 16" LB was going to enhance your view of all subjects Carol. This sketch of M51 certainly reinforces that.

(Edit: Just now seen you new name, Seymour. Very appropriate :D.)

It's one thing to study it, but quite another to transfer to paper, and you do that exceedingly well. You must have a wonderful anticipation very time you occupy your observing platform.

Ron.:):icon_salut:.

:) Thanks everyone, there was so much nebulosity, i actually checked the ep for lensfog a few times. :D

Mick, i hope i don't appear aloof by not posting here more often, but it just feels weird putting my observations into the Imaging zone. :p

:) Thanks everyone, there was so much nebulosity, i actually checked the ep for lensfog a few times. :D

Mick, i hope i don't appear aloof by not posting here more often, but it just feels weird putting my observations into the Imaging zone. :p

I don't quite understand Carol, your sketches are images of what you visually saw and captured with pencil, I can not see any other section to put them in. It's a shame you feel this way as you have a wealth of artistic experience to give, anyway I enjoy looking at your sketches, and to me you are an inspiration.

Thanks again. :)

I can't sell the SCT, Doug. This sounds geeky, but it was emotionally difficult for me to move it out of the shed to make room for Seymour (i thought they'd both fit, but it wasn't to be). The SCT's only half the aperture and it's a pain to set up compared to rolling the 16" out, but i learned a lot with the SCT and i love it. The surface of the Moon is now as familiar to me as my own neighborhood is, and the same goes for the sky. In a way, i guess you could say the SCT was my mentor. Maybe i can have a small obsy set up in the south garden for it, i don't know just yet.

But no, Snoopy's my buddy and he's not going anywhere. :D

Mick, John... i realize this is where sketches are 'supposed' to be placed but for the most part, i like to use them in the forums to help others verify an observation, or to illustrate what a certain object looks like through the eyepiece.

This one was a bit special, though. :p

great sketch !!! how long did it take?

love the names for your scopes :) never thought about naming any of mine,but i know what you mean about getting attached to your scope i sold my old tasco that i had 20+ years :D and am shocked it still has not been pointed skywards :p

Magnificent Carol.:p:hello2:

The detail you have brought out makes it come alive. From my back garden, even in the 12" M51 is nothing more than a blob with a couple of dark lanes.

Lord Rosse would approve.:)

Hey carol that's really nice.

I am pleased for you. I remember reading about your new scope and I knew you were excited. Hope it's as good as u expected . It certainly seems that way.

How have u found tapping/nudging the scope. I am getting used to it but I ain't sketching. We got our dobs at the same time. U have ten more inch's than me though ;-)

Ok, ok, i give up :p i'll put them in here... can't fight City Hall, as the saying goes. :D

Again, thank you. :) (((BIG HUG)))

Bunnygod, it probably took about 40 - 45 minutes. I checked my logbook and there's nothing listed between leaving M22 at 10pm and completing the M51 sketch at 10:50. It only took a few minutes to get some tea, gather my sketching things comfortably at hand, swing over to M51 and pick an eyepiece to use (Meade 13.8mm SWA). Luckily the NW sky was getting dark faster than UMa was setting.

Sorry about your old Tasco, maybe the new owner's having problems with it?

Teddy, the nudging doesn't frustrate me as much as i'd thought it would, but there's definitely an advantage to be had with tracking, lol. As much as i'd love to dive into sketching the open clusters and globulars, i can already tell it'd be a real pain. A wide view wouldn't be that bad but i like swimming in them, know what i mean? It takes steady concentration not to lose my place in all those stars, and there's only three solutions i can think of to get them done at the high power i like. 1) Get tracking for Seymour but TBH i couldn't be bothered with the hassle. 2) Make the sketch over a number of nights, possibly beginning when there's lunar interference which wil bleach out the fainter stars and make things less congested. 3) Get the main part done with Snoopy and then fill in the details with Seymour. The last one sounds to be the most do-able, i could get it done in one session by setting up both scopes.

Archived