SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

My new Skyshed POD

Dave Smith

Here are just a few pics showing the progess of my new POD.

As I am not a very practical person the decking and pier support was carried out by a local builder but the construction of the POD was carried out by me and took one and a half days to complete.

POD00019.jpg

The pier base consisted of a 2ft square hole 3ft deep and then a reduced size square shuttering to fit the wooden template with the pier bolts which were sunk into the concrete.

POD00021.jpg

The pier is offset towards the near corner to allow for the three bays to be at the back.

POD00026.jpg

The POD arrives and with the help of some of my neighbours had to be lifted over three fences/walls to get into my garden.

POD00028.jpg

The walls are up (getting the last bolt in was quite tricky!) and the two dome halves nearly complete. Here I am fixing the steel plate that the rollers roll on.

POD00029.jpg

Beginning to look like an observatory with the primary dome on and the secondary ready to be lifted into place.

POD00031.jpg

The completed POD with pier and scope in place. Remarkably I have aready used it for a few clear nights. Getting this was one of the best decisions I have ever made. It is fantastic just going out and within minutes the scope is in use and no need to clear away ;)

There is still the flooring (foam anti fatigue matting) and the connection of mains electricity to do.

Dave

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Good job Dave. I do like those Skyshed PODs. One day...

Have you got the glow in the dark version?

No way :p

Just dark grey base, light grey dome.

One thing that concerned me with a dome was it advertising that there was some valuable gear. My dome is not visible from any road so that should not be a problem.

However, the field behind is a primary school playing field. Last week a couple of the little darlings hurled a house brick sized lump of concrete at the dome. It struck with an extremely loud clatter.:) Fortunately I wasn't next to the dome at that moment, but was going to be minutes later. It turned out to be two year 1 pupils i.e. 5 - 6 years old ;)

I rushed up stairs and took photos of those nearby which we presented to the headteacher together with the missile - which led to their being found out.

The good news was there wasn't even a scratch on the dome :eek:.

Dave

Very nice Dave. you'll love it in there, and getting up and running is a doddle now, also shutting down after a nights work is so easy.

I used to have a large domed Obs. Loved it, but my design meant I was continally battling leaks so I dismantled it. ROR Obs now, but I like it too.

Are you going to have an Obs. warming Party?;):D.

Ron.

One thing that concerned me with a dome was it advertising that there was some valuable gear. My dome is not visible from any road so that should not be a problem. Dave

That looks great Dave, only wish I could do the same but am living on a sink estate so would not last long ;).

Jim

Here is the internal view. The three bays are wonderful in that they give plenty of storage space. Everything is to hand.

POD00032.jpg

Note that this was taken with a wide angle lens and so is distorted. All three bays are the same size.

Dave

Lovely set up Dave. The wide angle lens photo really makes it look like the observatory is huge, looks like Doctor Who's Tardis ;)

Love the Vixen on the pier really looks sweet.

if i only i had thought about my decking before i got my scope i would have loved a set up like that my decking is under an apple an pear tree so the lawn t is for me cant complain though have about270 degree veiw as my neighbours have no fences woooop

Archived