Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

My new Skyshed POD

Dave Smith

I think these look great!

How much room is there to move about inside?

Bu call me paranoid (cue Black Sabbath riffs) but when i get an obsevatory id prefer mine to be a shedd looking as possible...

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How much room is there to move about inside?

There is plenty of space and with the bays there is no need for any clutter. When the scope is nearly horizontal it is a bit tight with binoviewers but manageable. With a single eyepiece there is loads of room. On the Altair Astro website is a picture with 23 people inside a POD. Reminds me of the "how many people can you fit in a telephone box".

Last night I discovered when closing up that the outside of the dome was covered in dew. I hadn't detected that from the inside even though the scope can "see" nearly 50% of the sky.

Dave

Great job Dave :D , it looks the business, i need to sort myself out with an observatory of sorts, with all my kit setup, which take's about 30 min's, and a total weight of just over 100 pounds, it's not doing my Glass back any good, i think it's going to be a slidding roof shed, i like the dome very much, but i dont want to attract any unwanted attention.

Simon :)

Congratulations on your pod Dave, looks the business and good taste in decor/colouring. I may have to weigh cost vs time to self build. Interesting point re dew, what about security, how do these thing lock and would you consider it reliable?

Congratulations on your pod Dave, looks the business and good taste in decor/colouring. I may have to weigh cost vs time to self build. Interesting point re dew, what about security, how do these thing lock and would you consider it reliable?

There are two big locking bolts on the inside to lock the dome and the door is also locked. After the concrete thowing incident, I don't think smashing in is an option. I will remove scope, eyepieces etc whenever we go away. Household insurance will cover break in as long as it is locked. I expect anyone really determined will get in, just as they would in a house, but, not wishing to tempt fate, I am happy with the security.

Dave

• 8 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Dave, I have just put up my Pod on a deck and found your write-up very helpful.

Regarding spaciousness, I would say the Pod is 'bijoux' for taller people like myself, and the door is a bit of a 'limbo'. However my plan is to control the telescope remotely from my nearby conservatory, for which the pod is ideal.

The fact it qualifies as a temporary structure has allowed me to get around suffocating planning restrictions.

PS what size pilot holes did you use for the 1/2" coach bolts? :)

I used two lengths of coach screw as the thickness of the bays and wall units are different. I don't remember which size drill I used for the pilot holes, I just used a drill that looked right.

Dave

I think the Skyshed Pod looks interesting. The only thing I don't like are the embossed depictions of stars on the interior. I think it looks somewhat ELC. I prefer the Alexander Observatories personally. I think they look more professional and are definitely more spacious, especially for all the equipment. Just a preference :-)

Ooops! Gravel

blimey...youd have to be hard core to erect a Obs on a grave !!!

Great work though Dave, pod looks wicked

All i have is a six foot garden fence to block out the street lights !!

Stick

I think the Skyshed Pod looks interesting. The only thing I don't like are the embossed depictions of stars on the interior. I think it looks somewhat ELC. I prefer the Alexander Observatories personally. I think they look more professional and are definitely more spacious, especially for all the equipment. Just a preference :-)

They're a bit naff, but let's face it having an 8 foot dome or roll off shed in your garden pigeon-holes you as a geek, so what's with a few stars? They also help reduce the weight of the dome and my kids like them.

Roll-off sheds and domes have their own range of pros and cons, but the benefit of the Pod for me is being able to dismantle it and take it with me if/when I have to move with work. And, as mentioned above, I live in a conservation area so can't put up permanent structures and the Pod is technically a wendy house.

I used two lengths of coach screw as the thickness of the bays and wall units are different. I don't remember which size drill I used for the pilot holes, I just used a drill that looked right.

Dave

:icon_eek: Eeek, I have just bought a load of 1/2" - 4".

Some useful advice I received on the Pod yahoo group was to hold up drill bits in front of a coach screw and choose the bit than obscures the core of the screw but leaves the threads visible.

I also think the stars are a bit naff, but believe they are an important part of the structure to give the dome strength. They are at least only visible when the dome is open and that is mostly at night so are hardly visible.

One feature of this POD that I really like is that I am usually sitting under the half dome and am protected to a large extent from the open sky.

Dave

The dome design gives excellent protection from the wind, which is a no-brainer for me, living on a hilltop in the North Pennines. In the gales last week my daughter's playhouse, made of similar moulded plastic as the pod, was flung across the garden but the pod never budged an inch. Inside the Pod it was an oasis of tranquility compared to the conservatory, or the house for that matter.

By turning the primary dome to face the prevailing wind, you can operate in some reasonably breezy conditions.

Archived