Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello Earth men

thesatanbug

Hi all. New to stargazing and eagerly awaiting delivery of my even newer SkyWatcher Explorer 150P EQ3-2 (hopefully tomorrow).

Living in north London, I don't know what results I'll be getting to start with. I have also invested in a copy of Turn Left at Orion so I'm good to go.

I started with a notional budget of £150.00, but thanks to this forum and a little research I plumped for the rig above as it has some upgrade potential should I want to go that route. I doubt I'll ever want anything bigger tho.

T.

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the welcome.

Like I said, living where I do I'll not be expecting too much at first. But I have one thing in my favour. The back of my house faces south so I should get some spectacular views of the Moon from my loft to cut my teeth.

Also, I have relatives living high up in the back of beyond in Shropshire, so will be heading off there at the earliest opportunity to enjoy the night as it's meant to be seen.

I have one question before I dig deeper into the forums. Will I need sky maps, or should that book be enough to get me up and running?

T.

Hi T & welcome. I do think at least a basic star map is a good idea. W.H.Smith usually have something, or of course online. I use the "Sky & Telescope Pocket Sky Atlas" it's great for use at the scope. Your light pollution in London will be a limitation but if you can find a spot away from nearby bright lights it's amazing what can be seen. Shropshire would be better though, you will wish you live there !! Good luck, Ed.

Welcome to the forum, living in Shropshire myself and having seen the weather forecast I can happily say dont bother coming here for a while ;)

But I hope you get clear skies and some great viewings where ever you may be. :)

Thanks again for the welcome everyone.

I've been doing a bit of youtubing on my choice of telescope while waiting for the new arrival. If the results are anything like as good as I've seen, I'll be delighted.

I have Stellarium on my netbook which has been filling the gap.

*Edited spelling*

^ Thanks Talitha I'll check that out. Glad it comes Linux flavour.

@ Ant, Cheers. Got your message. I'll stick with that addy and see if it sorts itself out after ten posts. If not, I'll set up a yahoo or googlemail account. :)

That's regarded as the best email provider money can buy I'll have you know. ;)

No scope yet!

Hi T, welcome to SGL.

I have the "S&T pocket sky atlas", it was recommended by other members, and I think it,s really useful. It doesn't cost much either, I bought mine via Amazon, I got it the next day.

Nice scope by the way, clear skies.

@ All, I'll check out the book and site recommendations over the weekend. Though not with a scope... maybe??? Still waiting for blast off. If it doesn't arrive today I'll have to wait until Monday because they don't seem deliver weekends here any more from recent experience.

I've been having problems posting because the bb software no likey my sign up addy, so all my posts have to be cleared before they appear. Hopefully after ten posts (this one), I can join the party proper. Then you'll all be sorry, because I firmly believe that anything less than 18.4 posts a day definitely puts you in the lightweight division of forum PWs.... Kidding. :)

Turn left has arrived so that will keep me warm until the main event. And I found the user manual on-line for my make and model of scope. So today I'll mostly be wearing collimation. ;)

Archived