Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What is the best astronomy book you have bought?

My favourite general book on astronomy as a hobby is Ken Fulton's "The Light Hearted Astronomer". It's been around quite a while now but it's a quirky look at the ups and potential downs in the hobby from someone who has clearly a great affection for astronomy from the amateurs point of view.

Another favourite read is Sir Patrick Moore's "TV Astronomer" which is the story of the BBC programme "The Sky at Night".

I was bought the Sky & Telescope "Pocket Sky Atlas" for Christmas this year and it's really helped improve my deep sky object hunting. I've seen many more NGC objects over the past 6 months than I have over all the years I've been in the hobby. Highly recommended :smiley:

I met patrick at a book signing for t v astronomer so have a signed copy :grin:

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

"The Story of the Heavens" by Sir Robert Ball puplished in 1886. Not long after the discovery of Neptune. They (the professionals that is) had just got to grips with stellar spectroscopy - and make passing comments on spectroscopic binaries, (Algol had just been determined to be an eclipsing binary). There is no star classification, as we know it today, but they were aware of stellar colour and spectral differences.

It is a really great read and shows, quite starkly, just how much we have learned in only a little over 100years.

I have appended a scan of a photo from the book of M31 - don't forget this was the BEST that a professional observatory could do then.

I recently found a 1901 dated copy of this. Look forward to reading. :book1:

I was very lucky when I was 13/14 a family friend worked in the national library . She new I was fascinated by physics, maths and astronomy. Managed to view an early copy of principia. I now have several copies , still my favourite astro related book.

Turn left at orion great when starting but heard it called a field book! It is massive so not very portable! Not really traditional star hopping either but great to know what to expect when searching for key objects. Best field guide for starters to me is Peter Birrens 'Objects in the Heavens.' Invaluable so far but now I am a bit more experienced I am moving on and using Pocket Sky Atlas more and more as very accurate maps. Personally I found Pocket Sky Atlas a bit off putting when total beginner. Birren's book crammed with lots of useful facts, mini maps and binocular/small scope objects. Can't recommend enough. :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Graham Greene's "The Elegant Universe" & " Fabric of the Cosmos"

I agree wholeheartedly on these two (btw Brian Greene is the author). A bit academic, but very interesting stuff! Loved the TV specials Mr. Greene produced.

The best... the 2015 sky guide to afrca south published by astronomical society of south africa

And that book by patrick moore: a to z of astronomy the 1975 ed. It cost me 7rand (about 50c in Uk terms). As a pocket guide it alone has been worth a ton of gold

Sent from my SM-A500F using Tapatalk

For me there are two books that have see constant use when observing:

- Phillip's Guide to the Night Sky (edited by Sir Patrick Moore). This contains great information about general astronomy, excellent star maps and lunar maps as well as interesting historical narrative of star lore.

- Turn left at Orion. A truly excellent reference for star hopping and navigation around the sky. It also contains interesting information about what you are observing.

Hope this helps.

:smiley:  :smiley:

I'm glad a few people have mentioned The Observer's Book of Astronomy - I got this when I was 10 and every time I come across it at home it immediately re-awakens the original fascination of astronomy - ...the stars have colours!?! and the colours mean something!

I'm now really trying to get the sky nailed - beyond just the big 'land'marks - and am really enjoying reading LT Webb's Celestial Objects for Common Telescopes - the language is amazing (it was written in 1859)! He urges his gentle readers to use a red light torch and to venture 'out of doors' to observe,  as the famous 'night vapours' are not so inclement as commonly supposed, but if the observer is less intrepid  and remains indoors the fire must be out and the telescope objective must extend through the window... he also recommends clothing accessories and tips for sitting outdoors,

Great stuff!

3. My field observing bible is Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders. A plentiful supply of the very best objects in the sky: I'm sure it will keep me going for ages. In my opinion a far better beginner's observing guide than Turn Left because it's more field-friendly, and will take far longer to outgrow.

Andrew

Agreed

The Observer's Book of Astronomy was the first of many, got my first Patrick Moore 'Year Book' in 1986, many others since (TLAO, Norton's SA etc).

The most enlightening has been 'The Amateur Astronomer's Introduction to the Celestial Sphere': William Millar; 2006; Cambridge Uni Press. I would recommend it as a text book to anyone, it works on all levels.

Ray

A little tangential, maybe, but in terms of reading pleasure I'd say "The Day We Found the Universe" (Marcia Bartusiak) -- the story of the discoveries that led to our current understanding of the enormity of the universe -- and "The Perfect Machine" (Ronald Florence), about the construction of the 200-inch telescope at Mt. Palomar. Bartusiak's book might  encourage deeper appreciation of the significance of some of the things we can observe (e.g. cepheid variables), while "The Perfect Machine" might make you further appreciate the sheer precision of our amateur instruments. Bartusiak's "Archives of the Universe" (a collection of astronomy papers from ancient times to modern) is harder going, but the reasoning behind many astronomical discoveries is fascinating.

What a terrific thread. I already feel the money burning in pocket again. I'm going to pick a rather unusual book:

Introduction to stellar astrophysics

vol. 1 basic stellar observations and data

by Erika Böhm-Vitense

http://goo.gl/LP65de

It was my first introduction to astrophysics. I didn't buy it. I got it from my highschool physics teacher. Now, I didn't become an astrophysicist but still.

Michael

I had a considerable home library at one time. Most of it went to the public library when we moved house 13 years ago. Most of the books mentioned in this thread were in there somewhere.

But my all time favorites weren't exactly astronomy books but connected to the subject at some level.

They were:

"Children of the Universe"; Hoimar von Ditfurth. It blew me away as a school boy.

"Asimov's Guide to Science"; Issac Asimov. Wow, that man could convey science!

I couldn't understand how my school could make science so boring...did the teachers not read books???

1. Norton's Star Atlas - I have the 17th*, 18th** & 20th editions.

2. Patrick Moore's Pocket Guide to the Stars and Planets by the late SPM - (not signed SPM himself, but has the autographs of Heather Couper & Nik Szymanek). 

3. Under an English Heaven: The Life of George Alcock - a biography by Kate Williams of the late George Alcock and signed by him.

* minus the dust jacket/cover

** simply called Norton's 2000

1. Norton's Star Atlas - I have the 17th*, 18th** & 20th editions.

2. Patrick Moore's Pocket Guide to the Stars and Planets by the late SPM - (not signed SPM himself, but has the autographs of Heather Couper & Nik Szymanek). 

3. Under an English Heaven: The Life of George Alcock - a biography by Kate Williams of the late George Alcock and signed by him.

* minus the dust jacket/cover

** simply called Norton's 2000

I quite fancy reading that George Alcock bIography-but last time I looked on Amazon it was £53.

A truly GREAT British AMATEUR observational astronomer.

I quite fancy reading that George Alcock bIography-but last time I looked on Amazon it was £53.

A truly GREAT British AMATEUR observational astronomer.

I usually check to see if a particular biography might be available through the Library system. The price is right.  :smiley:

Archived