Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M1, NGC 1952. The Crab nebula.

RobH

Messier 1, the Crab nebula, is a supernova remnant about 6,500 ly away from us with a diameter of about 11 ly.

It is still expanding at between 1200 and 1800kps.

In the centre is the remains of the progenitor star, a neutron star about 30km in diameter, containing the mass of the sun and spinning every 30.2 ms.

It was recorded on July 4th 1054 by Chinese and arab astronomers and at magnitude -6, was visible in daylight.

M1 exploded around 4500BC.

This is an interesting time as the first urban populations were in existence in Mesopotamia and Anatolia, and it’s believed the wheel was developed here and in India at this time.

The plough was introduced in Europe, and the nearest visible star to the North Celestial pole was Theta Bootis.

The most important thing by far though, was that this is the time beer brewing was developed!! :D:hello2::D

Imaged using 3 scopes and 3 cameras with data collected from December 2007 until September 2009.

The nebula is data from an Atik 16HRC, and my old 14” LX200GPS @ F6 ish

Added to this is luminance data from a TMB152 @ F8, Starlight Xpress SXVF H16, and RGB data from a WO 80mm with an Atik 16HR.

The starfield is from the TMB luminance data, and WO RGB.

The old data was reprocessed before adding it, and was blended by using the TMB luminance data to soften it a little.

Scaling done with Registar.

Full size images are here….

Flickr Photo Download: M1-SEPT 2009

Flickr Photo Download: M1-SEPT 2009 crop

Cheers

Rob

post-14403-133877403589_thumb.jpg

post-14403-133877403596_thumb.jpg

Another fantastic, informative piece of work Rob..I love all the background information as well as the images....every time I think what you do cannot be topped, you produce another dazzler..Just for fun imagine if you had to keep all your images as paper copies, how much space do you think they would take up? that should keep you busy for a while....:D:D

Will you be bringing the TMB152 to SGL5?

Mark

Thanks Mark.

No, I'm afraid the TMB is only ever moving from the observatory if Olly gets an AP1200 or Paramount down at Les Granges...then I might just have to drag it down there for a session :D

It's not so much the scope, but there's no way that I'm going to remove the AP1200 from the pier and lose the alignment I've got now, which took a good week to perfect!

Cheers

Rob

One of your best! More interesting by far than most M1 images thanks to the excellent colour both in the nebula and the starfield, and due also to the simultaneous presence of the gaseous and filamentary components. It's usually one or the other.

Chapeau!

Olly

PS We at Les Granges are happy to accept and recycle unwanted Paramount and AP mounts...

Archived