NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Salisbury Star Party - Sunday Breakfast

NickH

After being largely (apart from a few mins and the late evening, which was magic to see people queueing to have a look through the PST80), clouded out on Saturday, I thought "s*d this...I came here to get some sun, and the sunday morning provided me with enough time to capture a huge amount of surface and prom data)

Just finished processing it all

PST80 at F25

Lumenera Skynyx 2-0m

Vixen A80M modified telescope with Baader C-ERF filter

Hope you all enjoyed the views.. Image rotated just for artistic alignment

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Great stuff Nick, interesting to see a finished image of the view I had on Sunday.

Do you have a link to a detailed description of exactly what is needed and a 'how to' for your PST/Vixen hybrid?

I think I'm going to have to give this a go, and it's something I could get into on the road too :)

Cheers

Rob

Nick, thank you so much for the instruction and advice, I thoroughly enjoyed both the talk and the kit outside, in fact I recall seeing these proms through the eyepiece.

Thanks for the coffee filter too, most helpful in fighting the droopy eyelids at 4am. As I always take the caravan to SP's, a kettle is easy to boil, so anytime you need a fill up, just give the van a knock if I'm not outside of it. We're on the top of the red field at Kelling.

Thanks again

Tim

Thank you everyone.

The data was actually quite rough, seeing and the wind were battering the scope about a bit (at home, fences really help), so a good tip for next year is a wind break for sure

Rob

Detailed description is coming soon.

Awesome image Nick and a fascinating talk that you presented. The modifications that you discussed were quite inspiring, I might have to start dropping hints to Mrs LB! Great to meet to you to!:)

Sam

3 hours sleep (in fact make that about 3 hours a night for 3 years...), wonder I'm not like Gollum by now :-).....

Glad you and Charlii enjoyed the views through the scopes, hopefully by SGL5 I may have something even more "sweet" to look through... :-) (cackles with mad scientist laugh)

Thanks guys...for the comments, it took two years of research and testing a wide range of scopes and PST's to get this rig working this well

That is amazing! I told my friends that I'd looked at the Sun thru a scope (thanks to Richard on Sunday morning) & they thought I was insane but now I'll send them in this direction so they can appreciate it too.

Thanks for posting that, you rock!

Thank you... thank you..

Just for the "Little trees" fans...this is how little they are (approx)

The small blue blob is our planet.

The view with Rich's Solar Spectrum was superb as well

It just beggars belief doesn't it? Our HOME is a tiny dot on a tiny dot...

Thats what I love about Astronomy - there is just no way for us to comprehend the scales involved, and yet our scientists can still figure it out...

Kinda makes you feel very small, doesn't it?

Archived