Did someone say 8 inches? - Askar 203mm apo triplet

I am just about the last to be nitpicking such a beast , however , BECAUSE it's a beast , one must ask : optical test certificate ?

I am most definetly not a glass snob , if it's ED that's that , but at this size it's rather an observatory level scope and I would really want to know what performance can pull before considering it.

PS: My loving wife wamt's me to kindly add that NEVER EVER outside of a 'uuuuuge lotery windfall would I consider it.... 😅  

• Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 1

Just now, RobertI said:

Despite the above image, it’s hard to visualise how big this thing is in reality - I guess the 24kg weight is a clue!! 😲

Have you seen the photo of Space Koala laid on the floor cuddling her 185? It certainly gives a better idea of scale!

15 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Despite the above image, it’s hard to visualise how big this thing is in reality - I guess the 24kg weight is a clue!! 😲

The 185 in that photo comes in a coffin sized case.

8 minutes ago, TiffsAndAstro said:

The 185 in that photo comes in a coffin sized case.

After the other half finds out you'll need it...

• Haha 3

The 203 come in a 'coffin' too....

5f62ecc4-ba6b-4247-be6b-7f2a6df0f9d6.jpg

The length of the 'coffin' is about 1.2m or 4 feet.  A lot shorter than a coffin I'd need. (And narrower, but I won't admit to that here).

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Alan White said:

deffo not a grab and go in anyone's imagination.

Oh but it is. I grabbed it and now my back's gone.

• Haha 2

Hello, If you are talking of the Askar 185,  it is large and heavy but not very different from my 10" Meade SCT, at least in weight.
The Askar is easier to mount on my CGX because of its rings/cradle set up.
Fortunately, can leave my set up through the summer months because it is not raining, besides it is always covered plus a garden umbrella.
Yes the views are impressive! BTW Steve Ward's link price if off by a couple of $thousands

When you're getting up into that price range, I'd like to know how temperature stable the objective cell really is.  My 90mm TS-Optics APO Triplet (possibly Sharpstar made) takes 30 minutes to reach equilibrium when there's only a 20 degree F temperature difference.  I can't even fathom how long the same cell design might take with a 203mm triplet.  Until the cell reaches equilibrium, I see pinched optics visually.

7 minutes ago, Louis D said:

My 90mm TS-Optics APO Triplet (possibly Sharpstar made) takes 30 minutes to reach equilibrium

My 100m is ready to use immediately. Taks just do that somehow :blink:

49 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

My 100m is ready to use immediately. Taks just do that somehow :blink:

Exactly.  From what I've read online, APs are the same way.  That's my point.  It's not just about the glass and optical figure/correction.  It's also about the entire mechanical construction as well.