NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

i just got a new telescope and was looking at what was included.   I have a 20 mm eyepiece and i unscrewed in and the lens popped out.    It did not break but, one side is concave and the other is convex.   what side is up, or goes closest to my eye.    Thanks

Two things spring to mind.

Firstly. We are not mind readers, so details of scope, eyepiece and maybe a photo might help inform the reader.

Secondly, it's not rocket science to try it both ways to see what works. The odds are 50-50, after all

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
  • Sad 12

2 hours ago, 900SL said:

Firstly. We are not mind readers, so details of scope, eyepiece and maybe a photo might help inform the reader.

Secondly, it's not rocket science to try it both ways to see what works. The odds are 50-50, after all

It may be worth bearing in mind that this forum is open to all ages, experience and ability levels.

It costs nothing to be positive and polite.

• Like 21
  • Thanks 5

9 hours ago, Dioardais said:

i just got a new telescope and was looking at what was included.   I have a 20 mm eyepiece and i unscrewed in and the lens popped out.    It did not break but, one side is concave and the other is convex.   what side is up, or goes closest to my eye.    Thanks

Hello @Dioardais and welcome to SGL.

Just carefully reassemble the eyepiece and view a distant building, if the view is blurred or different between the middle and edges then reverse the eyepiece lens and check again.

• Like 5

More info is needed, but you don't screw in an eyepiece into a scope to use it, they're push into focuser and tighten via brass compression ring usually by default, you may unscrew or screw an adjustable eyecup or do the same if it's an adjustable zoom eyepiece. If the lens has fallen out there's usually a very thin black lens retaining ring holding it around the circumference within the lens barrel which you'd need a special/custom tool to tinker with, the lenses don't just fall out.

Edited by Elp

Hello Dioardais and welcome to the site. You are not alone, a number of years ago with the first proper telescope the grandkids were doing this to me all the time,  clearly I was a good supervisor. My "guess" is convex to the telescope concave towards the eye, have a go and let us know which is the right way. All the best 

57 minutes ago, MartianHill said:

It may be worth bearing in mind that this forum is open to all ages, experience and ability levels.

Exactly! Thank you 🙏 

• Like 4

1 hour ago, MartianHill said:

Given the number of posts from noobs who appear to be unable to articulate or clearly define their specific equipment, settings or parameters, it would cost nothing to have a sticky at the start of each 'beginner' section setting out some helpful guidelines. This would enable the more experienced forum members to possibly identify the issues that the OP is struggling with, rather than facepalming at yet another post that requires clairvoyant capabilities.

I generally try to assist in these threads, but occasionally, before morning coffee, I let go with both barrels 😆 

• Like 3
  • Haha 2
  • Sad 6

22 minutes ago, 900SL said:

Given the number of posts from noobs who appear to be unable to articulate or clearly define their specific equipment, settings or parameters, it would cost nothing to have a sticky at the start of each 'beginner' section setting out some helpful guidelines. This would enable the more experienced forum members to possibly identify the issues that the OP is struggling with, rather than facepalming at yet another post that requires clairvoyant capabilities.

I generally try to assist in these threads, but occasionally, before morning coffee, I let go with both barrels 😆 

You know what they say, if you can’t think of anything nice to say…..

Grab some more coffee and maybe hop back into bed and get out of the other side.

Plenty of reasons why newbies may not provide full info; language barriers, simply not understanding what we need in order to be able to help. Actually in this instance, all that is likely required is a picture of the eyepiece, the scope is irrelevant.

Now, back on topic and be nice!

• Like 22
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Elp said:

More info is needed, but you don't screw in an eyepiece into a scope to use it, they're push into focuser and tighten via brass compression ring usually by default, you may unscrew or screw an adjustable eyecup or do the same if it's an adjustable zoom eyepiece. If the lens has fallen out there's usually a very thin black lens retaining ring holding it around the circumference within the lens barrel which you'd need a special/custom tool to tinker with, the lenses don't just fall out.

Note quite the same scenario, but the reducer for my Edge fell apart in my hands. The retaining ring for the lens came loose while removing it from the back of the scope. It's possible the eyepiece was not fully tightened in the first place

If the eyepiece is one of the 20mm erecting eyepieces, the optical layout looks like this:

post-213496-0-54248300-1562622286.jpg.6ff5da500335f166a4fa142e1abb93a7.jpg

So the top lens in this case would be concave side towards the eye and convex side downwards. 

These top lenses do fall out easily apparently so you are not the first one that this has happened to 🙂

If yours is a different sort of 20mm eyepiece, let us know and I'm sure someone will be able to advise further.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, John said:

If the eyepiece is one of the 20mm erecting eyepieces, the optical layout looks like this:

post-213496-0-54248300-1562622286.jpg.6ff5da500335f166a4fa142e1abb93a7.jpg

So the top lens in this case would be concave side towards the eye and convex side downwards. 

These top lenses do fall out easily apparently so you are not the first one that this has happened to 🙂

If yours is a different sort of 20mm eyepiece, let us know and I'm sure someone will be able to advise further.

Where did you find this, please, John?

11 hours ago, MartianHill said:

+1

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MartianHill said:

Yes we are not all rocket scientist's....and weren't born with telescopes on our eyes.

Edited by paul mc c
  • Like 1

Interesting to note.

Looking when the OP last visited. There has been the opportunity to look at all of the questioning and helpful posts made earlier than this one.
No photos or other scope/eyepiece information, or 'fixed now' thanks, reports have been forthcoming from the OP.
I have noticed a lot of 'help' posts being made by new members, usually followed by lots of helpful advice from established members, sometimes with requests for further information.
But all too often the new member does not respond.

In this thread a great deal was made of @900SL response.
Although some would not consider it to be the best worded response. It does comprise valid content.

OK moan over.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Interesting to note.

Looking when the OP last visited. There has been the opportunity to look at all of the questioning and helpful posts made earlier than this one.
No photos or other scope/eyepiece information, or 'fixed now' thanks, reports have been forthcoming from the OP.
I have noticed a lot of 'help' posts being made by new members, usually followed by lots of helpful advice from established members, sometimes with requests for further information.

Although some would not consider it to be the best worded response. It does comprise valid content.

OK moan over.

It happens, it’s no big deal, get over it, move on….

Edited by MartianHill

On 04/04/2024 at 12:17, Stu said:

You know what they say, if you can’t think of anything nice to say…..

Grab some more coffee and maybe hop back into bed and get out of the other side.

Plenty of reasons why newbies may not provide full info; language barriers, simply not understanding what we need in order to be able to help. Actually in this instance, all that is likely required is a picture of the eyepiece, the scope is irrelevant.

Now, back on topic and be nice!

Totally agree was rather shocked when I read the original response.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Carbon Brush said:

Interesting to note.

OK moan over.

It wouldn't suprise me if the very first response they got was enough to put the OP off ever visiting here again.  

• Like 5

13 minutes ago, carastro said:

It wouldn't suprise me if the very first response they got was enough to put the OP off ever visiting here again.  

Agreed 

• Like 3

19 minutes ago, carastro said:

Well said.

Edited by Saganite
  • Like 2

36 minutes ago, carastro said:

Too right totally out of order!

• Like 3

On 04/04/2024 at 08:24, 900SL said:

Give them a break, it was there first post, probably joined just to try and get help with this issue, you were a beginner once…like we all were…!!

• Like 2

1 hour ago, carastro said:

Agreed. 
If for whatever reason someone has an issue with someone’s question or post - think it, say it out loud if you need to, shout it at the wall. 

But don’t type it. 

• Like 3