Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Anyone else suck their eyepieces?

We have tripod sniffers, handle lovers, and now an eyepiece sucker, me!. We are a sorry lot, but it works! when my eyepiece fogs up I carefully put my lips to the eyecup without touching the glass and suck while leaving space for air to rush in and clear the eyepice. It sounds ghastly but it works every time!.

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

Hmmm… I can suffer from this issue which is, when it happens, very annoying. So next time I’ll definitely give it a go. If it works then surely this must go down as a “top tip”. In fact, maybe there should be a list of these. 

• Like 1

It seems I will have to do a demonstration on youtube even though I risk having my youtube account cancelled. That way you all can see exactly what I mean, and I will be at ease knowing my advice didn’t end with someone inhaling their tiny little Tak TOE eyepiece, @JeremyS 😂

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Don’t you get a bit taste of rubber on the in breath?

Perhaps if enough people own up to this, the manufacturers will start making kit with built-in flavours.

Strawberry:

image.png.aeb713a291d460d4c39d6a4eafd9af17.png

Mint:

image.png.2461095426f7a4f36d890104ebba700d.png

Blueberry:

image.png.8ee6bf7dede80ae15dc3c4c2f3a70fb3.png

Tangerine:

image.png.24e70bee99e9278dc3eb9dbfea73943c.png

Pistachio:

image.png.0daa9f841d14d2c5704c58db9477af4b.png

• Like 1
  • Haha 11

6 hours ago, Mr Spock said:

At least you're not licking it. I'm waiting for someone to lick their scope when it's frosty... :tongue2:

Rubber cups are for wimps.  I have had my eye freeze to a brass eyepiece. 

No wonder I gave up visual. 

Regards Andrew 

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

It seems very strange, but the correct procedure is you barely just touch lips to the rubber while leaving gaps for air to rush in. One must remember not to exhale otherwise you fog up the glass more, then you sharply suck for a second which draws a vortex of air across the glass which clears it. It may take two attempts but it works!. Note, unless you are Mick Jagger,  objective lenses are too big for this procedure.

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 3

10 minutes ago, Elp said:

Do you happen to sell on your eyepieces afterward?

Sell them? maybe, rarely ever do I sell an eyepiece, I do disinfect them with wipes, though.

• Like 1

The larger the glass the more the problem. The pre heating the eyepiece trick sometimes works, or in extreme humidity case use a dew heater.

Edited by Elp
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, John said:

If you can keep them a little warmer than the outside temperature, you should never need to suck them 🙂

What if I like it? 😙

• Haha 5

Silly question maybe, but building on that would using an eyepiece puffer (which has been out in the cold) also work? It would be pulling in, and puffing out, cold air which should help clear the condensation similar to your method? 

I have in more recent times tried to stick to John's method, and I also cobbled together a makeshift heated EP case using a heater band for during observing as I don't like keeping them in my pocket. I've barely observed since this first few nights I used it so haven't had chance to perfect it:

20231115_210340.thumb.jpg.2a144770373bbfe3715789cc61e51ebe.jpg

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Stu said:

Never tried that I must say, but might now give it a go if it works.......in the dark of course!! 😬😜

Careful with those small orthos there Stu. Don't suck too hard🙂.

• Like 1
  • Haha 4