NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Giving up dso astrophotography

Yes giving up dso astrophotography. As some of you know I live in a 1st floor flat. My set up is just to much for me to carry down 2 flights of stairs involving 3 trips. Even though its an AzGti on 1.75inch tripod it's still heavy and cumbersome enough on its own. Then once I'm outside I have to walk around the flats to the communal area to set up. To power my set up I have to lean out my 1st floor kitchen window to lower the extension lead down the drag around to my rig. And of course repeat in reverse to pack it all up and get indoors. I may be only 50 but my knees have very little cartilage and I have a damaged tendon in the crook of my right arm, so carrying heavy items isn't easy at all and gives me a fair bit of pain when lifting. Also I cannot leave my imaging rig alone so I stay with it (not as easy as having a private garden). 

Last night I did try to get my rig out and managed it, the setup went perfectly with pa, focus and guiding but I was in pain and just didn't enjoy imaging at all and gave up after 12 subs. I have got to the point of dreading putting the rig out, all the planning and moving that's needed is just to much for me now.

Nick on Astro exploring on YouTube put a video out yesterday and said a hobby should be something you enjoy. And I have fallen out of love with dso astrophotography. I will still do lunar and planetary imaging with my second AzGti when I can as its a light in az mode and Skymax 90mm. Also will carry on my dslr milky-way and aurora imaging when possible. So I'm going back to visual astronomy where I started and fell in love with the hobby. 

I won't sell my set up as I regret everything I've sold before. This may seem silly as it's money sitting there but you never know my situation may change to make dso astrophotography easier for me or more enjoyable. But I can't see it. 

This isn't loss of mojo, it's just not working for me. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1
  • Sad 12

Posted (edited)
9 minutes ago, PaulM said:

consider a seastar s50

Thanks Paul but I've not the money for a seestar and not convinced on the device image quality from what I had. 

After going out tonight with my little st80 I really enjoyed it seeing things like M81&82, M42 clusters and doubles with my eyes and no pain. It's where I started and where I see myself now. 

Cheers 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 8

It's freeing to make changes that keep your hobby alive for you. There are lots of possibilities I enjoy capturing meteors inside through double glazing not ideal I'm told but it works for me. Good luck with your observing

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, happy-kat said:

It's freeing to make changes that keep your hobby alive for you. There are lots of possibilities I enjoy capturing meteors inside through double glazing not ideal I'm told but it works for me. Good luck with your observing

Thank you. That's exactly how it felt tonight being free observing. I've also imaged meteor showers through my window and worked for me too. I'm just rolling it all back to enjoy, simplify my hobby and less pain. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 4

10 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thanks Paul but I've not the money for a seestar and not convinced on the device image quality from what I had. 

After going out tonight with my little st80 I really enjoyed it seeing things like M81&82, M42 clusters and doubles with my eyes and no pain. It's where I started and where I see myself now. 

Cheers 

Lee 

You don't need the added expense of a Seestar for lightweight EAA if you already have a n Az GTI and an Asiair, you're 2/3 of the way there.

I've just added a used Evoguide 50ED to the mix and it's a brilliant light grab and go for EAA.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Sad to hear, but its only good if you enjoy it and doing it in this country with the weather definitely doesn't help.

I'm not exactly in the same situation but I do have to carry all my equipment out, setup then pack up at the end and to be honest I don't enjoy the last bit at all, its usually actually freezing, late and if I'm using my uncooled cameras I have to stay out that bit longer to take darks as well as the flats. I've done sessions sitting outside even in sub zero temperatures but I wouldn't want to do it every session.

I've tried to make it as simple as possible, all equipment in one bag (but it's a heavy 20kg+ bag on my back), batteries which last for a reasonable amount of time (2-3 hours), even fast systems for quicker signal capture, but I still question every so often if its worth it. I still think about selling at least some gear too. Visual isn't really an option for me as it's too light polluted, if I can't see DSO I'm not really interested.

At least you've decided to carry on in some fashion and that's good to hear, for those of us in it for the long run that passion never disappears.

• Like 2

Sorry to read this Lee, but you have to do what’s right for you 😊. I also saw Nicks video last night and he’s spot on, and I’m glad he’s seen his YouTube demands for what they are, and to just take time out and try to get back to what he enjoyed; imaging. On a side note, I’m surprised he’s bought all that gear and not even used it!

For you, I guess that’s a bit more difficult with the stairs. I’d love to see some more of your nightscapes if you decide they are viable, the ones you’ve posted have been great. 

I suppose if you wanted a DSO fix you could always take it with you in a car for a weekend, camping or otherwise and you’ll have it to hand at ground level then - possibly even a star party. Just an idea, is that you could also simplify and perhaps look at wide field imaging with a very fast lens (like a SY135) but of course funds would be needed to purchase it depending on your financial situation / willingness to sell other items to fund it.

Best of luck with it, look after number 1 and get back to enjoying the hobby, no matter what form it takes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I certainly understand where you are coming from. I used to set everything up outside, without all of the stairs and it was a pain. If I had been in your situation I would feel the same. I now have an observatory, but awful weather.

There is something special about visual observing. Just get out there and enjoy the simplicity!

Good Luck

• Like 4

I've not looked through an eyepiece for a few years. I'm fully encumbered with the complexities of setting up and breaking down a big, heavy scope and mount every session. My current main scope has never had an eyepiece attached. I'm still fully on board but do wander, what am I missing?

I do know, if I went visual again, I won't mourn imaging (such as it is), I'll be reconnecting with a lifelong friend, the sky.

I still enjoy reading visual reports here on SGL. 

Just enjoy doing it your way!

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, WolfieGlos said:

SY135

This is one of the best astro pieces of equipment bar none, and it's not even designed for the task. You can carry it all out pre assembled and back in easily. It's added cost, but a HD mount is also a boon as it's even less weight to carry out and more stable to handle the whole setup for carrying around. It doesn't sound like much but not having that 2Kg+ counterweight setup to carry makes a significant difference, I can certainly feel it in my bags.

• Like 2

Kudos to you guys who assemble and disassemble your kit every imaging session, your dedication is admirable. After a couple of months doing just that, I determined to build an observatory before I gave up on AP.

• Like 3

Posted (edited)
17 hours ago, Elp said:

At least you've decided to carry on in some fashion and that's good to hear, for those of us in it for the long run that passion never disappears.

17 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

I’d love to see some more of your nightscapes if you decide they are viable, the ones you’ve posted have been great.

17 hours ago, Clarkey said:

There is something special about visual observing. Just get out there and enjoy the simplicity!

17 hours ago, Paul M said:

I do know, if I went visual again, I won't mourn imaging (such as it is), I'll be reconnecting with a lifelong friend, the sky.

I still enjoy reading visual reports here on SGL. 

Just enjoy doing it your way!

Thank you all for your kind comments. I did enjoy my quick visual session last evening wandering around the sky and it makes me want to go out again. I've even got my old copy of turn left at Orion out to get a plan. This decision has freed me and I'm looking forwards to a brighter part of my astronomy hobby. As I said I'll still do the odd bit of lunar and planetary as it's lma light setup, also do some Nightscapes when I can. I'm just going to enjoy the hobby how I first started, behind the eyepiece. 

Clear skies friends. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 9

44 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

Thank you all for your kind comments. I did enjoy my quick visual session last evening wandering around the sky and it makes me want to go out again. I've even got my old copy of turn left at Orion out to get a plan. This decision has freed me and I'm looking forwards to a brighter part of my astronomy hobby. As I said I'll still do the odd bit of lunar and planetary as it's light, also do some Nightscapes when I can. I'm just going to enjoy the hobby how I first started, behind the eyepiece. 

Clear skies friends. 

Lee 

Excellent! Glad you have decided to make a change which will hopefully keep you enjoying the hobby Lee. Visual Astronomy, it’s the future I tell you! 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

49 minutes ago, AstroNebulee said:

I'm just going to enjoy the hobby how I first started, behind the eyepiece. 

Best place to be IMO, visual observing can be magical. Even with just a deckchair and a pair 7x50's, the night-sky will never cease to amaze and impress.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Sorry to hear that it's not worked out for you, Lee, but good that you're sticking with the visual. On the positive side, you do have some decent skies in Cornwall (when it's clear!)

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Yes giving up dso astrophotography. As some of you know I live in a 1st floor flat. My set up is just to much for me to carry down 2 flights of stairs involving 3 trips. Even though its an AzGti on 1.75inch tripod it's still heavy and cumbersome enough on its own. Then once I'm outside I have to walk around the flats to the communal area to set up. To power my set up I have to lean out my 1st floor kitchen window to lower the extension lead down the drag around to my rig. And of course repeat in reverse to pack it all up and get indoors. I may be only 50 but my knees have very little cartilage and I have a damaged tendon in the crook of my right arm, so carrying heavy items isn't easy at all and gives me a fair bit of pain when lifting. Also I cannot leave my imaging rig alone so I stay with it (not as easy as having a private garden). 

Last night I did try to get my rig out and managed it, the setup went perfectly with pa, focus and guiding but I was in pain and just didn't enjoy imaging at all and gave up after 12 subs. I have got to the point of dreading putting the rig out, all the planning and moving that's needed is just to much for me now.

Nick on Astro exploring on YouTube put a video out yesterday and said a hobby should be something you enjoy. And I have fallen out of love with dso astrophotography. I will still do lunar and planetary imaging with my second AzGti when I can as its a light in az mode and Skymax 90mm. Also will carry on my dslr milky-way and aurora imaging when possible. So I'm going back to visual astronomy where I started and fell in love with the hobby. 

I won't sell my set up as I regret everything I've sold before. This may seem silly as it's money sitting there but you never know my situation may change to make dso astrophotography easier for me or more enjoyable. But I can't see it. 

Lee 

Hi mate, I'm really sad to hear you have been struggling and in discomfort when doing something you love, it must have been a really hard decision to make. 

That said, I think you're making the right decision on two fronts; firstly I think it makes sense, at least in the short term, to keep your gear for at least a while to see how things pan out. Secondly, welcome back to the light side of the Force! (fun fact: the light side is never mentioned by name until the most recent trilogy, only as "the good side" or just the Force). 

As you know I've always been a visual astronomer and I look forward to many more discussions with you in the visual forums! 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds like a tough decision, but really glad you’re rediscovering visual, and this isn’t a ‘giving up the hobby’ thread! Sounds like the simplicity of visual will really work for you. I think it’s a really good idea to keep your gear though, you never know what ideas may take your fancy in the future (eg: EAA) or how your circumstances may change. Over the years I have gone from visual to imaging to EAA and back to visual again (with a bit of EAA on the side). Keep us informed on how it goes. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

Thank you all for your words of support and encouragement. I could never leave this wonderful hobby of Astronomy I took up in lock down. I'm just pleased there are many aspects of the hobby that can accommodate people eg imaging, visual, scopes, binoculars, eyeballs and everything else that goes with it. 

As I said I had a wonderful hour last night rediscovering the visual side of things. Even in my ST80 I could make out the fuzzy patches and shapes of M81&82 as I had before. I just use my helios zoom lens which I find adds the simplicity and ease of my enjoyment. 

@Zermelo yes I agree they are lovely skies here when they want to be and I'll be able to take more advantage of them now as I can do visual in the gaps where I couldn't with imaging.

I enjoyed it so much I'm going out again this evening for an hour to tweak sky safari to set up some observing targets and enjoy some beautiful sights to my eyes, even in freezing weather and I can be back in after my fix and not wait out for hours. 

Thank you all again and I will be knocking on the visual discussion threads very soon. 

Warmest regards to to you all, what a joyus place to be. 

Lee

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 7

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had.  I've thought about trying EAA or AP and each time I considered it, I came back to the joy of observing with a simple scope and without any technological hoo-doo.

I do admit that I'm very tempted to try a SeeStar, but I don't have the spare funds for one right now.  Maybe that's a good thing.

• Thanks 1

On 08/01/2024 at 21:15, AstroNebulee said:

Lee 

Having been very heavily invested into DSO imaging a good few years back, I would never ever do it again in this country and sub to a remote service as for £ spent you get far more return in data.

Edited by Earl
  • Like 2

Disclaimer: I am visual only, and I enjoy making stuff, that is my area of interest, might be tempted one day to EEA but never AP. 

Although there are so many people agonising over their difficulties in simply getting results these past many months, it seems to me that most posts are about processing - so much so that it also seems to me that processing is the major interest for very many observers. Given that, I don't know why simply buying the best data from worldwide, best site telescopes isn't way more popular. A metre-class scope in say Namibia is always going to outdo a 5" objective in soggy UK and still cost a packet with a decent camera/mount/computing. What am I missing?

5 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Disclaimer: I am visual only, and I enjoy making stuff, that is my area of interest, might be tempted one day to EEA but never AP. 

Although there are so many people agonising over their difficulties in simply getting results these past many months, it seems to me that most posts are about processing - so much so that it also seems to me that processing is the major interest for very many observers. Given that, I don't know why simply buying the best data from worldwide, best site telescopes isn't way more popular. A metre-class scope in say Namibia is always going to outdo a 5" objective in soggy UK and still cost a packet with a decent camera/mount/computing. What am I missing?

some people are process driven artists so the tech taming is part of it, and i do get it been there wore that tshirt... still would never do it again.

47 minutes ago, Earl said:

some people are process driven artists so the tech taming is part of it, and i do get it been there wore that tshirt... still would never do it again.

I expect there is a large element of 'romance' as opposed to cold rationality in the minds of the imagers. By which I mean if a 'best possible image' was the overwhelming or sole objective then purchasing best data would be the strictly rational way to proceed, but strict rationality is itself 'cold'.