Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Giving up dso astrophotography

4 hours ago, jjohnson3803 said:

Sorry to hear about the problems you've had.  I've thought about trying EAA or AP and each time I considered it, I came back to the joy of observing with a simple scope and without any technological hoo-doo.

I do admit that I'm very tempted to try a SeeStar, but I don't have the spare funds for one right now.  Maybe that's a good thing.

Thank you. Nice observing objects with your eyes, yes they aren't like the images you can get but to say oh yes I saw M33, M81&82 or M31 through my 80mm scope and saw faint smudges and bright cores is quite grounding. Also its lovely just to move to scope to anywhere and lose yourself in a cluster or double star. I think I'm learning more about astronomy that I did when I was imaging. 

3 hours ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

Given that, I don't know why simply buying the best data from worldwide, best site telescopes isn't way more popular. A metre-class scope in say Namibia is always going to outdo a 5" objective in soggy UK and still cost a packet with a decent camera/mount/computing. What am I missing?

For me when I was imaging it was the knowing that I captured those subs from my own imaging area to show my family and friends. I've never bought scope time for data as it didn't appeal to me but I understand how people love to do it this way and whatever way we are all connected by the love for astronomy 😊

Lee

• Like 7

2 hours ago, saac said:

@AstroNebulee, totally get where you are coming from Lee. I've followed your DSO imaging and it's always been a pleasure to see what you produce, for what it is worth you have been a great advocate of what is possible with the little AZGTi mount. I have one myself and I'm always looking to find out what you have been doing whenever you posted images up.  I agree with you on not selling anything, your situation may change in a few years and you may well find you have better access to a garden or you may decide to do a bit of wild astro photography at some stage, so yes hold on to everything for as long as you can.  My big limiting factor at the moment is weather windows - I've pretty much resigned myself that if I can get 4 hours on target than that is probably the max in one sitting.  It can be frustrating but my attitude is be content with what astro imaging/observing you can do with your limitations. Some amazing folk here are working from balconies and heavily light polluted areas like London !!!  Ok so park the DSO imaging for the moment and enjoy what you can in a more comfortable way, good luck. 

Jim 

Thank you so much for your kind words Jim. I'm really humbled to hear that you have enjoyed what I got up to with my AzGti imaging. One of the reasons I probably started up the long AzGti owners thread a while back. 

I will still get the dslr set up it into the wild for aurora, milky-way or meteors. 

I have my second AzGti as my visual rig now and it just performs very well. I can go out for a quick hour get my astronomy fix or perusing the heavens and come back in. 

I'm excited about astronomy again and that feeling has been sorely missed by myself. 

Clear skies to you and thank you. 

Lee

• Like 4

54 minutes ago, Mr H in Yorkshire said:

I've wandered into this thread at the back end. Have you considered a a large aperture bino on a parallelogram arm?

I am quite happy with my ST80, SM90 and maybe back to my 72ed for visual 😊 and I do have some 7x50 bins that come out occasionally, especially looking from my bedroom window at the moon or some asteriums just to have a bit of fun, if I'm not outside. 

Lee 

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Mkv said:

Any chance you could instead use a lighter aluminium tripod? And use a very large power bank (or power station) to power your set-up. Then you could hook the powerbank onto the tripod hanger to provide additional stability and weight, and keep the power bank out of the way.

I cannot afford anymore kit so the power bank option is out the window I'm afraid. I've not bought any astro equipment or accessories in many many many months. I do have lighter tripods but to be honest I have the bug for astronomy back again that has been missing for a long time. I feel free and re-energised now I am doing visual. I'm enjoying looking through my turn left at Orion, Cambridge star atlas and sky and telescope atlas to see what I'd like to try and observe 😊

Also if there is a clear night with odd clouds about I can still observe or take the dslr out Nightscaping and not be thinking I've wasted a night because should of been dso imaging if it is completely clear if that makes sense. 

Lee 

• Like 3