Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Comet 12P/Pons-Brooks

Atrocious weather today with storms building in the west. A great big sunny break mid afternoon but you could clearly see what had been and what was going to come.

After months of cloud and no proper chances of observing anything except by chance I saw the sky was still clear to the west.

This mornings APOD had a photo of P12 P-B showing it in relation to M31 so I grabbed the 10x50s and to my astro starved amazement, there it was!

Due to the heavy rain and strong winds the clarity was amazing, I have never seen the Andromeda Spiral look that good in binoculars. I spun round and looked at M42 just to test my eyes and that too was breathtaking.

12P core appeared quite large and bright and I swear I got some elongation with AV which I cannot say I have had with bins. A couple of surprising moments whilst observing the comet is the sky being lit up in a flash by an anvil building out in the distance.

This has been one to remember not just because I have been astro starved, or getting into double comet numbers but it proves I have been getting lazy and I need to use those small windows.

In the time it took to record this in my astro diary the clouds are in and the storm is on its way.

Marv

• Like 3

@ Marvin Jenkins 

You say the clarity was amazing due to strong winds and heavy rain. Do you mean the heavy rain and strong winds had moved off, and improved the air quality behind a cold front?

Edited by scotty1

There were clear spells in the evening of Wednesday 6th March, so took a couple of shots of 12P/Pons-Brooks before it sank below the roof. The sky was VERY hazy with pollution being imported from the continent, and this made the light pollution worse. The clouds returned shortly after. 

Single 20 sec exp with Astrotracer and 55-300 zoom.

IMG_20240310_052443_(2100_x_1852_pixel)_edited.thumb.jpeg.6d3a4fdf8f25b3dd24e70633f22a31b8.jpeg

Ariel view of 12P/Pons-Brooks 

Polish_20240310_054937591.thumb.jpg.aaf7df16e1b27eba6bd48adfb6707930.jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 4
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, scotty1 said:

@ Marvin Jenkins 

You say the clarity was amazing due to strong winds and heavy rain. Do you mean the heavy rain and strong winds had moved off, and improved the air quality behind a cold front?

Yes that's the one. Sorry I should have explained it better.

M

• Like 1

I had quite a good view of Comet Pons-Brooks last night through my 14in Newtonian before it disappeared behind a neighbour's roof, and for the first time I was able to try out my Baader Swan Band Comet Filter, and it did appear to enhance the view. I would estimate that the magnitude is now around +6, in line with predictions, so it will have to brighten up quite a bit to be visible with the naked eye during the Total Eclipse of the Sun on 8 April.

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 8

I managed to get a really poor view of it through my binoculars this evening. My views north are obstructed from my garden so I had to go down the road with the binoculars. It looked very like a star at first, but there was haze and bright moonlight sabotaging my view. Nice to have seen it at least, but I really do want some better weather! 

• Like 2

Likewise - caught my first glimpse of it in bright moonlit twilight this evening, it was fairly easy to spot in 8x42 binoculars and a few shots with a DSLR showed a tail and a lovely green hue.  

281AD937-C96C-4DD1-AFFB-3090DEF7E6F9.jpeg

5816C1A4-ADC2-417C-B342-63EBAA5028B4.jpeg

Edited by Ludd
  • Like 4

Because the comet is low towards the north west, I have been using my Seestar on the full-height tripod of my iOptron mount. Whilst the Seestar was capturing images, I stood directly behind it with my 10x50 binoculars, to get the correct azimuth angle, and so I was able to spot the comet by using slight up/down scanning for the altitude.

Geoff

• Like 3

Very good visibility yesterday evening with the arrival of cleaner and drier air from the northwest.

Shame the moon was about 90% full. I haven't seen this comet naked eye, but got a couple of shots in camera. The comet definitely appeared brighter than a couple of weeks ago, plus the sky was clearer yesterday than it had been for about a month.

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 2

This evening's view of 12P, but this time from my Dwarf II. To get the clearance over my fence, I used a step ladder with built-in painting tray, and a tripod clamp on the tray.

stacked_20240323211816636(12P).thumb.jpg.a3cdaeaffb1a33a28e819433f9c6d434.jpg

Dwarf2onStepladder.jpg.96de7191fb1311f55156a27add21aada.jpg

Geoff

Edited by Geoff Lister
Picture of mounting added
  • Like 8

3 hours ago, Nakedgun said:

~

Had my first look at it 20 MAR 24 along with my neighbor through Tasco No. 216 10x50s.

I hope your neighbor didn't mind 🔭

• Haha 3

2 hours ago, scotty1 said:

I hope your neighbor didn't mind 🔭

~

My neighbor actually brought it to my attention, as I had completely forgotten about it.

• Like 1

Wasn’t convinced I’d get to see this with my Western skies and a full moon but it’s surprisingly bright in the 15x70 bins. An easy locate south of Metallah. The core is bright and I think I can see some northerly elongation. Comparing it to the closest field star HR 484 which is mag 6.2, I’d say it’s maybe around that mag or even slightly brighter. Impressive!

• Like 6

MARCH 24TH.  Took this single frame of 12P Pons-Brook at 20.12pm from Penistone Country Park, five minutes drive from where I live.  Went there to view the aurora, but alas it didnt happen.  While waiting I took this with my Seestar S50.

20240325_011406.thumb.jpg.b46872a0f33f2f4286ce10c613180be7.jpg

• Like 10

Last night it was easy to find it.  Bright coma. Hints of the tail averted vision just as the comet deeps under the rooftops. Had to pump up magnification to blacken the background. 4" frac f7; 9mm

Had a look with the 20x80 binos last night. Very easy to find, definite hint of a tail. Well worth taking a look at this if anyone hasn't already. Not that the weather has allowed that lately...🥺

• Like 1

Good view last night about 21.00.

From core area of the Yorkshire Dales National Park International Dark Sky Reserve. 

Canon 15 x 50 IS binoculars.   Tail about 2 degrees, maybe greenish tinge to coma.

Rain washed and moonless sky :)

Paul

Edited by clarkpm4242
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

March 29th

First time I've seen the Comet through binoculars (swift 10x50s ) this evening 20.10GMT  , easy to pick out. A bit of annoying cloud had to drift in, then the Comet sunk behind the roof. Managed to grab another ariel photo, so a short but sweet observation.

Zoom lens at 260mm f5.6 20seconds  ISO 3200 

IMG_20240329_224459_(2100_x_1400_pixel).thumb.jpg.c8f4a54d6cd917d7e18d7df35e3c5625.jpg

IMG_20240329_224405_(2000_x_1334_pixel).thumb.jpg.39645d2f133be5d598e15cf92da859ce.jpg

Edited by scotty1
  • Like 4