NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Askar APO Triplet Telescopes

FLO

• FLO changed the title to Askar APO Triplet Telescopes
2 hours ago, DirkSteele said:

Are the pricces on the FLO site just placeholders or is that 185 the bargain of the century (assuming they did not make the lens from the bottom of coke bottles)?

They are actual prices. At least, I think they are. We haven't been advised differently. 

They are new telescopes, but the Askar 103 APO Triplet has been out long enough for us to see reports, images and feedback from owners. So far, all are pleased. Here's an image I found here at SGL earlier this week. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 1

Can someone explain why these scopes are so reasonably priced, compared to other comparable triplets, especially other triplets in the Askar range such as the PHQ versions, as in my mind you get what you pay for with a scope and these must be a lot cheaper for a reason….or no one would ever buy there higher priced scopes, so where is the compromise here…?? 
sorry to be a cinic…

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stuart1971 said:

Can someone explain why these scopes are so reasonably priced, compared to other comparable triplets, especially other triplets in the Askar range such as the PHQ versions, as in my mind you get what you pay for with a scope and these must be a lot cheaper for a reason….or no one would ever buy there higher priced scopes, so where is the compromise here…?? 
sorry to be a cinic…

I wondered about the 185 in particular, 180mm Refractors from TEC, CFF, and Stellarview cost over £15k, even the Explore Scientific 165mm Refractor, which is not regraded as being a premium scope, costs £8k.

John 

Edited by johnturley
  • Like 1

They don't disclose what glass they use for one and won't tell you. The spot diagrams however look decent and images taken via the 103 and 120 look good, even focal reduced.

Edited by Elp

Just to say I gave much thought before buying the 103 as the price seemed too good to be true.  But in the end I decide that with FLOs return policy there wasn't anything to lose. 

Also, though there were no visual reports when I ordered mine, but there was a good comparative imagers report with three other four inch scopes on u-tube in which the Askar stood up well to more expensive scopes.

I've only had nine hours observing with it due to poor weather, but I'm very pleased with it in every way.  I don't know how they manage to  produce such a high quality scope with so many features for such a comparatively good price.

As Peter says, if the others turn out to be as good, then they may not keep the price so low for too long.

20231116_144244.thumb.jpg.a6252bf72a81680a15ce32dd4d1fbed4.jpg

• Like 6

Incredibly tempting these are (and after the intro promo has ended) but in the meantime I have a Starfield and now I'm waiting to see how the WO Pleiades 68 and 111 turn out first.

Edited by Elp

54 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Just to say I gave much thought before buying the 103 as the price seemed too good to be true.  But in the end I decide that with FLOs return policy there wasn't anything to lose. 

Also, though there were no visual reports when I ordered mine, but there was a good comparative imagers report with three other four inch scopes on u-tube in which the Askar stood up well to more expensive scopes.

I've only had nine hours observing with it due to poor weather, but I'm very pleased with it in every way.  I don't know how they manage to  produce such a high quality scope with so many features for such a comparatively good price.

As Peter says, if the others turn out to be as good, then they may not keep the price so low for too long.

20231116_144244.thumb.jpg.a6252bf72a81680a15ce32dd4d1fbed4.jpg

Yes, I have watched that video where the guy compares 4 refractors for imaging, the Askar 103 being one of them, and it looked great until the reducers were added, then even with APS-c size sensors, the stars were not great in the corners…but with just the flattener, looked good…

Edited by Stuart1971

I saw Nico's video, thought they were quite similar. A few people have been imaging with the 0.6x on the 103 with fantastic results, normally below 0.8x with larger sensors it becomes more difficult to get a flat field. Obviously visual it matter less.

Edited by Elp

Just now, Elp said:

I saw Nico's video, thought they were quite similar. A few people have been imaging with the 0.6x on the 103 with fantastic results.

Subjective I guess, and how much you really care and even bother to look into the corners stars like some pixel peepers do…at full size on a 20” monitor they  will all look superb..unfortunately I have to look, my OCD insists on it….😂😂

36 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Perhaps instead of asking why Askar triplets cost so little, perhaps we  ought to ask why some other manufacturers charge so much. 

There just might be some refractor manufacturers feeling just a little nervous right now.

Well I was comparing to others made and sold by Askar not other manufactures…so do you think they charge way to much for there others in the Askar livery…?

I keep looking at the 140mm F/7 triplet. For quite a while I was interested in the APM 140mm F/7 ED doublet and now here we have a triplet at around £1K less !!! 😲

The 185 is amazing as well but I'd need a massive new mount for that whereas the 140 would go very nicely on my T-Rex alt-azimuth 🤔

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, John said:

I keep looking at the 140mm F/7 triplet. For quite a while I was interested in the APM 140mm F/7 ED doublet and now here we have a triplet at around £1K less !!! 😲

The 185 is amazing as well but I'd need a massive new mount for that whereas the 140 would go very nicely on my T-Rex alt-azimuth 🤔

I'm not trying to tempt you John, but I'd like to see a pic of the 140 on your T-Rex altaz.  🙂

• Haha 2