NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Askar APO Triplet Telescopes

FLO

6 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

Ok that’s good to hear but definitely this telescopic arrangement rather than screw in?

Certainly telescopic (with a lock) on the LZOS refractors. I've been concentrating on the 140 and 185 Askar Apo's and they have a telescopic extension but looking at the details again it looks as if the 120mm and 103 have a screw in extension section. 

Just now, John said:

Certainly telescopic (with a lock) on the LZOS refractors. I've been concentrating on the 140 and 185 Askar Apo's and they have a telescopic extension but looking at the details again it looks as if the 120mm and 103 have a screw in extension section. 

Ok thanks again so could/should be ok and yep the 103/120 askars are screw in

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

It does on the 103 and 120 but the 140 and 185 have this different approach 

Sorry, I missed this post just now. I agree - different approach depending on the aperture for the Askar Apo's. I was blinded by the lure of the "big ones" 🙄

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, John said:

Sorry, I missed this post just now. I agree - different approach depending on the aperture for the Askar Apo's. I was blinded by the lure of the "big ones" 🙄

Same here as I’ve been looking at options for a while including the 120 and Esprit 120  but I think the 140 has just nipped into the number 1 spot 😀

• Like 1

2 hours ago, John said:

APM/LZOS refractors have used a similar approach for years. My LZOS 130 is 17 years old and has an extension tube at the focuser end. No signs of droop with it even with a 2 inch diagonal plus 21mm Ethos installed. The Askar approach looks even better engineered than the APM/LZOS one I think.

My Moravian G3 16200 with filter wheel weighs in excess of 2.5 kg, so puts a fair old load on the focuser.

• Like 1

I'm not on Facebook but my wife went on the link re the 185.  It appears to be a few pics and people's comments.

I've attached two of the pics - bear in mind they are screen grabs so haven't the original resolution.  The Jupiter pick was taken with the 185 - the original is much better.

20231119_093449.jpg.c2ef61d29a825fc6a4fa691e8ff20f0f.jpg

20231119_093536.jpg.2c7e1105bcdc034f4487041059d52d2a.jpg

Edited by paulastro
Typo
  • Like 2

I think I'll wait for all the box opening videos.
That will tell us everything we need to know about optical quality. :wink2:

The tail end extension tubes looks like compression fixing devices on the larger scopes. 
Capstan radial bars. Suggesting [to me] options for locking at any user-chosen length.
Always prepared to be proven wrong. 😊

Thanks. That's a nice touch for binoviewer users.
Most APO owners will avoid shortening the main tube with a hacksaw! 😱
Having to rely on optical devices, just to reach focus, usually results in unwanted magnification.

• Like 2

On 18/11/2023 at 22:00, globular said:

The 140 looks nice on Askar's Mark III mount - in matching weird orange.

image.thumb.png.90d4f5bfb3b705650e4e54d0e9e0a4ae.png

Anyone know anything about them?

@FLO are you planning on stocking them too?

@globular The mount has been available in other countries for over a year. But here in the UK, nobody has asked about it until now. We haven't seen nor handled one, so we don't have an opinion. Sorry. 

Steve 

• Thanks 1