NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Telescope monogamy?

16 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

I feel increasingly drawn to the idea of committing myself to only one. Are there people out there who are doing or considering this? Or am I just getting old?

I did just that back in 2015 when I sold my scopes and most of my accessories to fund a 100mm Apo. Honestly, though it may seem a dumb move, that 100mm almost wore me out. It was so easy to use and delivered great views of pretty much every type of object. Obviously it was limited in terms of light grasp and resolution on paper at least, but in reality it never disappointed me. I even glimpsed the Horse Head with it on one occasion. I'd still be monogamous had it not been for some unscrupulous individuals on SGL tempting me with forbidden fruits. They know who they are!  If I were to return to owning just one telescope however, it would definitely be my 100mm Apo.

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 5
  • Haha 4

Just one scope is something I think we all try or ponder at some point.
I have done it myself.

What I found was that I cannot control myself when nice kit shows up for sale and I curate kit.
But my most used telescope is my Vixen ED103, so capable and so immediately usable.
If it was truly just 1, then the 103 would be it.

But as I bought a new shed to house mounts etc this year, I must resist this idea to keep harmony at home,
not a case that I am a dedicated collector of nice astro kit at all!

• Like 9

7 hours ago, Franklin said:

I've been looking through scopes at the night sky since I was a kid but I would still only describe myself as a "casual stargazer". 

There's absolutely nothing wrong with that. Casual Stargazers are probably the happiest Stargazers!

• Like 9

I did go for nearly a decade without a scope when my children were born. I maintained my interest in astronomy via binoculars, the Sky at Night programme and astro magazines. 

No web forums back then to tempt me but there were some visits to Telescope House and a couple of other equipment dealers now and then to whet the appetite for when I could get a scope again.

I've always referred to myself as a "sky tourist" so I'm quite comfortable with casual astronomy 🙂

I also like @Alan White's concept of being an "equipment curator" 👍

Edited by John
  • Like 7

I'm with @Franklinon this one. I actually have two scopes but my 150p Heritage doesn't get much use now. My Starfield 102ED is the one I always use as it's a great all-rounder and I'm not particularly fond of faint DSOs, making a huge dob unnecessary as well as impractical in my case. Anything I can't see with the SF isn't worth seeing! 😉😆

I'd also agree that lots of EPs are worthwhile. Again, I discovered the Morpheus range and have never looked back, except for long f/l "finder" EPs.

• Like 4

I have such diverse scopes with such diverse uses, I really cannot see myself commit to just one. A Celestron C8 is a very different beast from an APM 80 mm F/6 triplet, which in turn differs a lot from my Meade 6" F/5 Schmidt-Newton. At work I have a Coronado SolarMax-II 60 mm, which is a different beast again. None have had enough use this year, what with all the terrible weather, but that does not mean I will do away with one.

• Like 3

This is an great question I love my 4" tal

Tho may be complementing  it at last  with an 8" dob.

4" ed frac may be on the cards as well

No doubt the how many eyes have you got and you can't read the paper anyway barbs are probably incoming 

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mr Spock said:

Tonight I've used a 120mm refractor, and 8" f4 Newt and a 12" Dob. They all have their uses :wink2:

I’d be interested to know how you are getting on with the 8” F4 Newt for visual, perhaps you can post your experiences at some point (if you haven’t already). 👍

My hypothesis: attitude/perspective has a much greater impact on satisfaction than number of telescopes; we only think that we need most of what we have. A story as old as humanity, yet we struggle to accept it.

I'm going to give this a go. If nothing else, I'll feel different and cool... the Monogamous Rebel.

Edited by The60mmKid
  • Like 4

I've been reflecting on this and in any/every other hobby I have or have had I only have one of whatever it is for that hobby. Only astronomy has dragged me into the thing of having lots of gear. 

One example is I am into hi-fi which isa notorious hobby for having to have all the gear but I've only got one music source, one player, one digital audio converter and one pair of headphones and that's it and I'm very happy enjoying the music and not acquring more gear (alright I fantasise about more gear but there's no harm in window shopping is there?).

I wonder what is different about astronomy, perhaps the issue of the effort required to set up meaning  different scopes at different points on the convenience spectrum is a thing that is less of a thing in other hobbies, and for me personally maybe because I am on an internet forum (which I won't name!) where everyone is a bad influence on each other? 🙂

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Paz said:

I've been reflecting on this and in any/every other hobby I have or have had I only have one of whatever it is for that hobby. Only astronomy has dragged me into the thing of having lots of gear. 

One example is I am into hi-fi which isa notorious hobby for having to have all the gear but I've only got one music source, one player, one digital audio converter and one pair of headphones and that's it and I'm very happy enjoying the music and not acquring more gear (alright I fantasise about more gear but there's no harm in window shopping is there?).

I wonder what is different about astronomy, perhaps the issue of the effort required to set up meaning  different scopes at different points on the convenience spectrum is a thing that is less of a thing in other hobbies, and for me personally maybe because I am on an internet forum (which I won't name!) where everyone is a bad influence on each other? 🙂

Yeah, CloudyNights is the worst 😏

• Haha 4

I have one telescope because although I would like other telescopes, I can't afford them and don't have the space to put them. 

When you are constrained by circumstances it becomes very easy to be monogamous with a single scope. 

• Like 5

I had one scope for years (a 5” Mak), and I did enjoy the simplicity of only having one setup, but I’m glad I have more than one now.

My FC76 is my favourite, fun to use and splits in two so it goes everywhere with me. It was in Tanzania in September so I had the opportunity to use it in Bortle 2 skies with the core of the Milky Way almost overhead. Our next trip will be Flagstaff and then a road trip around Arizona. It’s no trouble to bring on trips and fits in a camera bag.

I have two 4” refractors which are great all rounders and pretty much grab and go. They do give a nice step up from the FC76 and I find the FC100DZ in particular superb on planets. I have a Starwave ED-R and some of the objects I’ve observed through that have been mesmerising - it’s great for those showpiece DSOs as well as planets.

I know my other half has ordered my Christmas present - a 12” dob. This is going to be a big step up in aperture but it will be for special nights and star parties. So, I think I’m happier with multiple scopes. Although the FC76 is my favourite, I appreciate the extra detail with the 4” scopes and am really looking forward to observing through a dob for the first time!

• Like 9

On 10/11/2023 at 14:47, Space Hopper said:

I've been a 'one scope guy' for just under 2 years now.

However it does everything i need it to  (ie a very good performer on nearly all objects, and ticks all of the boxes)

I did very briefly take ownership of a 10" Orion Optics newtonian around 18 months ago, but it was too big for my needs and sold it on.

I still have a yearning for a small 100mm sized refractor to go with my 140, just to use for easy grab & go.

I used to own one, but it went in a trade. Some regret there, but hopefully i can replace it in the next year or two, once i have some funds. The wallet is always empty these days unfortunately.

You regret trading the 105/f6.25 LZOS?

image.thumb.jpeg.48323bfdc9e4c7cd8d419618c37e8f49.jpeg

It is a peach of a scope if used for wide field or planet's.

The only downside is it is tail heavy due to the FT3545, however that is fixable with a mount with Y-axis balancing or a harmonic mount.

If I went of one scope it would still be the 130 mm APO, to make it more grab n' go I'd use a lightweight mount to help with that.

I also have a C11 with the same weight as the 130 mm however it's larger and harder to put on the mount and take's an age to cool down. 

APO's are just so more flexible and not so dependent on seeing for usage.

Edited by Deadlake
  • Like 4

On 10/11/2023 at 00:51, The60mmKid said:

I feel increasingly drawn to the idea of committing myself to only one. Are there people out there who are doing or considering this? Or am I just getting old?

I have only one, an 8 inch refractor. 

• Like 3

On 09/11/2023 at 22:51, The60mmKid said:

I feel increasingly drawn to the idea of committing myself to only one. 

Only one! 😳

On 09/11/2023 at 22:54, Mandy D said:

Nooooooooooooo!!! We cannot allow this kind of thinking in here!

Absolutely 😁

Steve

• Like 3
  • Haha 3

As years roll on my memory gets a little...... Difficult. She who must be obeyed (SWIMBO) asks why I Need more than 1 scope and I respond..... " Have I ?". 

Tried the handbag argument and it's close cousin the shoe question but she says it's not the same. She is right to a point. I have tried looking through her peep toe naughty night shoes but the view although pleasing can't visualise the full moon. 🤔

Last count of scopes secreted in rooms and garages comes to 6.....just like playing with them.... Looking at them and touching them...... The scopes that is😉

Come to think of it the weather has been so poor I can't remember seeing a star through one...... Mind SWIMBO looks heavenly, shoes and handbags. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

On 09/11/2023 at 16:51, The60mmKid said:

Well, I might be getting old as well, but I've been thinking about it.  I just sold my ST120, so I'm down to a 50mm, 72ED, ST80, and ST102.  The 102 is relatively new and was meant as a more transportable replacement for the 120.

For me, it's mainly a desire to simplify.  I've lost observing time while trying to decide what scope to take out.  I know - horrible problem, huh?  🙄   I do confess that I've been looking at 60mm refractors, partly because of what I've read on the 60mm groups.io forum and your doubles program.

I do think my 15x70 binos gotta go, no matter what else I do.

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, The60mmKid said:

I've decided to settle for telescope bigamy. It's the best that I can do. I asked FOA-60Q and HD-145 for consent, and they're both cool with it.

As the thread starter that’s scandalous 🤣

But cannot blame you as those are two great scopes 👍

• Like 3