Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Observatory monitoring camera?

michaelmorris

I'm presently working on the detailed design for my roll off roof observatory.  I'd like to have the facility to monitor the scope remotely during imaging sessions.  

To this end I'm after a budget video camera that works well in very low light conditions, but doesn't rely on IR led lights to achieve this.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

I have tried various ones and the best is the ZWO mini camera using Sharpcap with the exposure around two seconds. I use the wide field lens that came with other ZWO cameras'

I have mine mounted on the scope so it looks through the dome aperture. Even though the inside of the dome is matt black I can see everything. I guess on a roll off roof you would wall mount it.

Its monitored via windows remote desktop. 

Same here, the ASI 120 mounted between the scopes gives an excellent view of the inside of the dome and through the aperture. Constellations are easily recognised on a 2 second exposure.

Prior to that, @Tomatobro loaned me a TV camera from a drone, but the 120 blew it away on low light picture quality.

I use a cheap pan and tilt camera from Amazon, behind my scope as it does have an IR option, £24 from Amazon and as it works with RTSP it links to NINA and gives me a constant live view, you can see the view here just in from the bottom right corner of NINA, using the RTSP plugin for NINA..

IMG_1687.jpeg

• Like 2

Sadly they seem to have stopped making REALLY sensitive CCD chips now?
But I did buy a couple of TINY cameras wth very sensitive chips in the past.
A BIT of IR (or Red) light helps considerably for obsy monitoring cameras! 🙂

If you are happy with COAX output... You might try something similar to:
https://www.spycameracctv.com/products/1080p-hd-tiny-pinhole-camera-low-lux-4-in-1
Check out the "lux" spec? It will probably be a "bit of an experiment" tho'! 🙃
They probably have a C-type thread, to allow a change of lens / field of view...

Edited by Macavity

Pretty old school, but the very sensitive Watec camera would be an option.  Doesnt rely on IR and can be used with any C mount lenses.  Can be connected to PC via a USB grabber.  I use an Amazon camera in mine but without the IR it's not great in the dark.  I just use it to check roof closure and parking position.

• Like 1

If the camera is just for monitoring, you could avoid using a screen grabber
(and tying up another PC). If the coax cable is a v.LONG run, just invest in a
suitable video buffer / amplifier. Plug the cable into your "lounge" TV etc.
https://www.onlinesecurityproducts.co.uk/amplifiers/genie-cctv-gca01hd-coaxial-video-amplifier.html

Switch the video source (via TV remote) to keep an eye on the observatory,
while you watch late night movies! Or buy a budget, low voltage, screen? 🙂

Edited by Macavity

4 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Pretty old school, but the very sensitive Watec camera would be an option.  Doesnt rely on IR and can be used with any C mount lenses.  Can be connected to PC via a USB grabber.  I use an Amazon camera in mine but without the IR it's not great in the dark.  I just use it to check roof closure and parking position.

I never had an issue with the IR lights on mine, I guess I am always imaging with the IR blocked anyway.👍🏻

during the day I have a wall mounted (inside the dome) Tapo CWS320 which is linked to my phone. It allows me to keep an eye on things during the day and is good for checking on dew on the inside of the dome and scope.

I sometimes will use it to check for cable snags or mount position  but when I turn the camera on the IR reflection on the inside of the dome will white out any image that is in progress so I have to pause the imagining run before using the Tapo camera

1680874150094.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
picture added
  • Like 2

On 10/10/2023 at 23:26, michaelmorris said:

I'm presently working on the detailed design for my roll off roof observatory.  I'd like to have the facility to monitor the scope remotely during imaging sessions.  

To this end I'm after a budget video camera that works well in very low light conditions, but doesn't rely on IR led lights to achieve this.

Any suggestions very gratefully received.

Just a note that I have 3 in mine - 2 blinks and one tupu one. All use IR and I've never had any light seepage into the images at all.

• Like 1

I am interested in also adding a camera to monitor my scope remotely during imaging sessions .... but I have a question that somebody might be able to help me with.

My scope is controlled by a in10 mini computer in my observatory ... but I able to access this computer directly from my "House Computer" linked by an Ethernet cable and "AnyDesk". This system works great but I would like to be able to keep an eye on the inside of my observatory without the need to keep occasionally going down the garden.

I don't really want to add a second Ethernet cable ( it was very involved to get the first one in place! ) and I don't have a mobile phone ( I am trying to avoid this ! )

So my question is ... what are my options to link a any one of the cameras, suggested above, in the observatory to my "house computer"? Will "AnyDesk" cope with it???

Mike

A lot of disassemble there.

Firstly, you don't need an ethernet cable for each device. You buy a 5 port ethernet switch for the observatory, plug it in and plug your cable into that. Then you have 4 spare ports - one for your in10, 3 spare for other stuff.

However, as you don't have a mobile device, I'd suggest that ethernet or wifi cameras are not for you. I would suggest a cheap USB webcam. Plug it into your in10 (im assuming its windows here, if it's linux youll need to make sure you buy one that is compatible), and then you can have the picture from that showing in a window on your in10, and hence visible when connected with AnyDesk.

I also have a tiny camera that is connected to a PI zero W2 This camera looks over the edge of the dew shield and allows me via Google (only) to look down onto the mirror to see how much dew is formed.

I remember when testing it how well it performed . 

IMG_20231014_165532.jpg

Edited by Tomatobro
picture added
  • Like 1

On 10/10/2023 at 23:49, Yawning Angel said:

You might be able to find a CCTV dome with the Starvis technology. I grabbed an old Bosch one 2nd hand for about £40, and it works quite well without IR

I really like that! Have you got a link to it or similar?

• Like 1

I am using a Dahua starlight cctv camera (Dahua IPC-HDW4231EM-ASE 2MP IR Turret Network Camera (citysecuritysystems.co.uk)).

It is POE and IP enabled, so easy to install and use. I can access from anywhere over my local network. It has an IR illuminator, but this can be turned off. Could be useful to give night time security when you are not imaging.

Found it to be reliable and easy to use, and perfectly able to view the interior of the observatory with the roof open just by starlight, or any remaining glowing LEDs you have not covered up. Had it for a couple of years so model has probably been superseded.