Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

Arrived today! My used iOptron 8" RC 'scope! Got a bargain, £350! cannot wait to get first light with it!

I purchased it for it's longer FL to image small galaxies and other small DSO's also for some Planetary imaging when the Planets reappear in the coming weeks and months.

ioptron1.jpeg

• Like 14

On 14/05/2024 at 12:38, robbie c said:

E40D4DEA-C424-41CC-862E-EE5567AC62EF.thumb.jpeg.4848d7cd494ec34afbb2e350c4664b3e.jpegDecided it was time to trade in my old canon  1100d for a 6d it’s the first time I’ve used MPB got to say great service from them and a good price for my old canon. Just fitted the Samyang 14mm lens I got a couple of weeks ago can’t wait to try then both out A054940D-29E2-4FD0-99DE-9E28E99F1D10.thumb.jpeg.1090620e52dd2bdefb35d49781ba3315.jpeg

@robbie c Rob I too use MPB and I swear I'd never buy from anyone else. Their prices are the best, they always have a good level of stock, they pay good prices for your old gear, you just can't go wrong with them, IMPO. I've bought numerous Cameras, Lenses etc from them and to date I've never been disappointed.

That 6D looks ace Rob! What was the shutter count when you bought it? I tend to only buy DSLR cameras with sub 10k shutter count. It's just because I'm aware that astrophotography imaging/taking many long subs, puts extra stresses on the sensor and shutter mechanism. That's just a personal preference though, I have no idea whether I actually need to only buy sub 10k shutter count cameras??

• Like 1

Wohoo, my shiny new PC that was as dead as a vampire riddled with silver shots from an Uzi 9mm is alive, I tell you, alive! Many thanks to Palicomp. Nobody wants a dead PC to arrive, but what really matters is that when things go wrong, which can always happen, they fix it. And fix it they did, always getting back to me within 24 hours. I never needed to chase them up. I did manage to shoot myself in the foot by missing the first attempted delivery of the fixed PC yesterday - one was imaging Sol... I paid more attention today to the incoming post.

So 4K gaming, here I come! I went for an i7 14700 and an RTX 4070 TI Super. The 14 TB SATA HD from my old PC is up and running in the new PC. And for good measure, so is a new nippy 4 TB m.2 Lexar SSD, partly for storing solar and lunar data off my lappy.

It's been a crazy few weeks of spending due to a windfall that I will have to get unused to very soon, alas - I could get used to this! The question for me now is what to do directly for astro. I picked up a Grasshopper 3 camera cheap, but the big gap I think is with a large dob. We sold our 16 inch a while ago and our largest scope at the mo is a 10 inch dob. Maybe two scopes, like a 12 inch solid tube (Stella Lyra?) and a 16 inch that travels well for star parties. A rather lovely problem to have. I hope the postie has been kind to you lately too.

Edited by LukeTheNuke
  • Like 4

6 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

Arrived today! My used iOptron 8" RC 'scope! Got a bargain, £350! cannot wait to get first light with it!

I purchased it for it's longer FL to image small galaxies and other small DSO's also for some Planetary imaging when the Planets reappear in the coming weeks and months.

ioptron1.jpeg

A well setup RC can really zone in on obscure stuff, better than the usual 'Seasonal' big nebulae 👍

• Like 1

3 hours ago, wesdon1 said:

@robbie c Rob I too use MPB and I swear I'd never buy from anyone else. Their prices are the best, they always have a good level of stock, they pay good prices for your old gear, you just can't go wrong with them, IMPO. I've bought numerous Cameras, Lenses etc from them and to date I've never been disappointed.

That 6D looks ace Rob! What was the shutter count when you bought it? I tend to only buy DSLR cameras with sub 10k shutter count. It's just because I'm aware that astrophotography imaging/taking many long subs, puts extra stresses on the sensor and shutter mechanism. That's just a personal preference though, I have no idea whether I actually need to only buy sub 10k shutter count cameras??

Hey yeah they are a great company, 

I’ve only just started using them and got to say I can’t see me going anywhere else now they seem to be very professional in dealing with people and equipment they sale.  I’d have no hesitation  in recommending them to people and I’m forever looking on their website now if I’m not careful I could see it costing me a fortune 😂
The shutter count was only 14k 

Delivery from postie Pete.

A little FLO goodie to fit an incoming solar mount for the Lunt LS40.

An Astro Essentials EQ5 to 3/8 adaptor, I had no idea how well it was made or if it had a 60mm part to sit in the tripod as the image online only shows one side.

Its very solid, well made and does have a lower section of 60mm and the top is 90mm.

IMG_8747.thumb.jpeg.241a839a282ae4bdc9d94fb935da368f.jpeg

IMG_8748.thumb.jpeg.fc3884c3ec45401091cf9d4b66ed2c18.jpeg

• Like 8

On 13/06/2024 at 11:45, Vroobel said:

Just arrived thanks to @Hairycamel and the postman. 🙂 Like-new condition, everything works well. I already checked it by looking at neighbour's aerial and have to say that it's really OK if we take into account that it's a budget bino. Will check a night sky, but when?... 🤔

IMG_20240613_112935__01.thumb.jpg.dcd8dc8a0c1793793c1e634dae4d9585.jpg

IMG_20240613_112646.thumb.jpg.2dc1dd1690efcfa61cf1ffb62c6e3671.jpg

I made a second test of the binoculars tonight. I don't have a proper mount yet, so it was shaky, but I can say that stars are pinpoint and the bino is well collimated. I didn't find any significant CA or distortion at edges. Thanks again, @Hairycamel

• Like 2

I wanted a second AltAz mount so I went for what I already have and like:

NEW: 1xAZT6 / 1xDouble clamp /1xEQ6  counterweight extention bar ; SH:1xL-Bracket ; 2xcounterweights ( I think Vixen but who knows) IN DA MAKING:End screw for the counterweight bar ( who knew - it's harder to get a screw than the whole shebang 😅 )  

Also a pic with it assembled , tonight I want to ut it to work too.

AZT6 witl L-Bracket & counterweight kit .jpg

AZT6 witl L-Bracket & counterweight mounted.jpg

• Like 11

Spending my birthday money and some saved up. I've bought a more sturdy tripod from mpb.com (used but in excellent condition, still boxed) manfrotto 190go aluminium and a star adventurer 2i photo pack from Carmarthen cameras, superb fast delivery within a day. 

The seestar will have to wait 😉

Clear skies 

Lee 

IMG_20240621_161620.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 14

The postman brought me this lovely FC-60, sent from Japan 😊 It's my third one. I was foolish enough to sell the first one I owned. A friend wanted the second one, so I sold it to him. This one, though, is here to stay.

And @garryblueboy is not the postman, but he did bring me this gorgeous FS-102 NSV. I have a feeling this one's here to stay, too!

A successful Friday 😌

IMG_20240621_201113501.jpg

Edited by Emperor!Takahashi!
  • Like 20

15 hours ago, Emperor!Takahashi! said:

The postman brought me this lovely FC-60, sent from Japan 😊 It's my third one. I was foolish enough to sell the first one I owned. A friend wanted the second one, so I sold it to him. This one, though, is here to stay.

And @garryblueboy is not the postman, but he did bring me this gorgeous FS-102 NSV. I have a feeling this one's here to stay, too!

A successful Friday 😌

IMG_20240621_201113501.jpg

You could use the 102 as a finder for the mewlon.  But what about the finder for the 102?

It's Takahashi's all the way down 😂

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

On 19/06/2024 at 15:14, wesdon1 said:

I purchased it for its longer FL to image small galaxies and other small DSO's also for some Planetary imaging when the Planets reappear in the coming weeks and months.

ioptron1.jpeg

Is that on a HEQ5? Wow I didn’t think it was capable, I nearly went with a 6” RC last year but stuck with a trusty refractor and went with the SF102. I’ll be interested to see how you get on with the 8”, look forward to seeing your results 👍

• Thanks 1

In preparation for darker skies, now we're heading for astro darkness again, I've been looking to upgrade my main scope from an Evostar 100ED DS Pro to something faster and better quality. I did think about a RASA 8 but that was too heavy for my HEQ5 and I can only afford to upgrade one thing at a time.

Anyway, long story short, FLO were doing a nice deal on a Founder Optics FOT106 triplet, which comes with a dedicated field flattener and has a FL of 686mm at f6. 

It arrived last week and has a really good build quality, comes with flight case & optical report. I also bought the threaded adaptor for the Field Flattener and the ZWO EAF adaptor for it as well.

So, now it's on the HEQ5 and the setup below weights in at 8kg, leaving 3kg spare capacity if I want to add a Losmandy dovetail instead of the supplied Vixen version. The main problem is that it'll be mid-August before it's dark enough up here to get First Light. 😭20240617_152532.jpg.56a3e43d3f3b7a88d2eb8fb0e3c16b7d.jpg  

• Like 9

5 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Even if it’s still in the box, I’d still go for a check at the doctors after first use. Can never be too careful.

😆

Hahaha well spotted on that, this predictive text stuff haha, one of the better ones. 😂😂. Will change it now and of course should of been 'condition' 

Clear skies 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, WolfieGlos said:

Is that on a HEQ5? Wow I didn’t think it was capable, I nearly went with a 6” RC last year but stuck with a trusty refractor and went with the SF102. I’ll be interested to see how you get on with the 8”, look forward to seeing your results 👍

@WolfieGlos Hi and yes it an HEQ5 Pro Mount. It's got a 13.5kg payload limit so it handles the 8" RC 'scope really well. As soon as the weather permits ( possibly tonight or Sunday night! ) I'll see how it tracks with the long FL. I'll keep you posted on my results! 

Regards, Wes.

• Like 1

On 19/06/2024 at 21:37, Coco said:

A well setup RC can really zone in on obscure stuff, better than the usual 'Seasonal' big nebulae 👍

@Coco Hi and yes I'm hoping/aiming for the less popular smaller galaxies, nebs etc. Also will use it for Planetary and see how it performs!

• Like 1