What did the postman bring? V2

Grant

Not the postman, but two DPD deliveries.

Awaiting the delivery with the base to arrive. An 8inch Stella Lyra Dob. I'm donating it to the National Trust at Orford Ness, where myself and observing friends (cheers @Littleguy80 and @Helix) have been running overnight stargazing sessions. The most recent, last Saturday had incredibly clear skies with amazing seeing. You travel to the 'Ness by a boat, so we have in the past, taken our smaller 'fracs. This will stay over in their secure office and enable us to share yet more of the night sky objects, and mean less for us to carry along with our sleeping bags etc.

Am hoping that @FLO will have forgotten to pack the clouds for the next event on the 31st and for the astrophotography events with @FenlandPaul in 2025 and beyond!

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

Combined-Astro-Photo-at-OrfordNess.JPG

• Like 21

6 hours ago, Ags said:

@Littleguy80 these are my experiences of using the step-down rings with my Solar Scout:

• for prominences, I don't use the rings
  • for surface detail, I find anywhere between a 43mm ring and 30mm ring gives the best results, although some days I get good results without the rings...
  • The 30mm ring obviously gives the magic f30 that Quarks like, but the severe reduction in aperture has to be considered too.
  • I focus without the rings, then apply the rings (they will increase focus depth, so can only improve the focus achieved without rings). Without the rings, slight misfocus is more visible.
  • FYI, 30mm aperture isn't much, but the GONG solar imaging network uses six scopes around the globe with apertures of 28mm.

First light with the step down rings and really impressed. Stopping down to 37mm was the sweet spot for me. 30mm made it a bit too dim and floaters intruded a bit more with the small exit pupil. The surface took on a much more mottled effect when stopped down. Removing and adding the rings made it easy to compare views. The full aperture views started to look quite bad by comparison. For £12.99 it’s one of the best value upgrades I’ve made. Really wasn’t expecting that much of an improvement! Thanks again @Ags

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

First light with the step down rings and really impressed. Stopping down to 37mm was the sweet spot for me. 30mm made it a bit too dim and floaters intruded a bit more with the small exit pupil. The surface took on a much more mottled effect when stopped down. Removing and adding the rings made it easy to compare views. The full aperture views started to look quite bad by comparison. For £12.99 it’s one of the best value upgrades I’ve made. Really wasn’t expecting that much of an improvement! Thanks again @Ags

I am glad it made such a difference! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

My latest AliExpress purchase turned up today... I wasn't prepared to pay over £200 for a ZWO EAF, so went for the Genesis equivalent at around £75 instead. Came with a temperature probe and IR remote that I probably won't use! 

The back of the C6 is getting a bit cramped now... 

PXL_20240815_164327071.MP.jpg

• Like 4

57 minutes ago, Martyn87 said:

My latest AliExpress purchase turned up today... I wasn't prepared to pay over £200 for a ZWO EAF, so went for the Genesis equivalent at around £75 instead. Came with a temperature probe and IR remote that I probably won't use! 

The back of the C6 is getting a bit cramped now... 

PXL_20240815_164327071.MP.jpg

Ah yes.  The Gemini autofocusser.  The autofocusser from Gemini that released about 2 weeks after I started building my own autofocusser.  That autofocusser? 🤣

Seriously though, nice one.  I've heard good things about them.  Costa only slightly more than a replacement bracket for a zwo.  Would have got one if I hadn't already sunk an equivalent chunk of cash into building my own.

I believe it is based of the myfocuserpro2 architecture and is compatible with the indi drivers for it.

28 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

Ah yes.  The Gemini autofocusser.  The autofocusser from Gemini that released about 2 weeks after I started building my own autofocusser.  That autofocusser? 🤣

Seriously though, nice one.  I've heard good things about them.  Costa only slightly more than a replacement bracket for a zwo.  Would have got one if I hadn't already sunk an equivalent chunk of cash into building my own.

I believe it is based of the myfocuserpro2 architecture and is compatible with the indi drivers for it.

Haha funnily enough, I had already 3D printed brackets for a DIY focuser too and fully intended to go down that route, but as you say, this way is cheaper! 

I actually bought the SCT bracket to go with it but the supplied coupler doesn't fit on the motor end, although it's perfect on the scope end. I had the brackets printed and belts here already though so the printed option worked out great. 

I've not had chance to try it out yet other than getting NINA to move it, which worked great. Cuiv the Lazy Geek reviewed it a week or so ago though and was pretty happy with it! 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

A "Whats In The Box " question ..... just to pass the time ...  

Thank you Rother Valley Optics . 

scope.jpg

If physics has taught me anything it's a cat. 😺 

• Like 3
  • Haha 9

On 14/08/2024 at 12:32, Cjg said:

Awaiting the delivery with the base to arrive. An 8inch Stella Lyra Dob. I'm donating it to the National Trust at Orford Ness, where myself and observing friends (cheers @Littleguy80 and @Helix) have been running overnight stargazing sessions. The most recent, last Saturday had incredibly clear skies with amazing seeing. You travel to the 'Ness by a boat, so we have in the past, taken our smaller 'fracs. This will stay over in their secure office and enable us to share yet more of the night sky objects, and mean less for us to carry along with our sleeping bags etc.

Am hoping that @FLO will have forgotten to pack the clouds for the next event on the 31st and for the astrophotography events with @FenlandPaul in 2025 and beyond!

IMG_1452.JPG

IMG_1453.JPG

If ever a picture captured what its all about , imo this is it ... no , not the "may contain  Clouds " but that stunning starscape .  

• Like 3

On 14/08/2024 at 12:32, Cjg said:

Missed this post earlier, nice one.
I had seen that someone was doing Stargazing on the Ness, had not realised it was you chaps.

Orford Ness has a special place in my heart, my Grandad served a chunk of his WW2 service here, they were routing out the secrets within captured and crashed enemy aircraft.
Had so many WW2 stories recalled of his time on the Ness.
Have been a number of times and really have enjoyed being on the shingle.

Hope the session on the 31 goes well and clear skies.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2