NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Show us your...most loved scope!

This is easy for me, my vx14. It still feels exciting like Christmas every time I take it out. I would only let this scope go when I can't physically handle it any more and have to downsize.

20210322_211521.thumb.jpg.825455529ebe62e0ee4a392dc1e2c71e.jpg

• Like 16

This is really difficult for me as I love them all, but if you twisted my arm till it really hurt I would choose this one (but don't tell the others 🙂). It accompanies me on weekends away. It accompanies me abroad. It fits in a very small rucksack, mount, tripod and all. I can get a 5° FOV with a 28mm Erfle (over 7° if I use a 2" eyepiece). I can get a razer sharp x140 with a 2.5mm TOE (I feel it could go further but I've no shorter FL eyepiece or Barlow). And to boot, it's lovely to look at sitting in the corner of the lounge ready for instant use. Even my partner calls it a cutie 😀

Malcolm 

IMG_20210930_095849832.thumb.jpg.c40f3244f21e2b456515eac2d88308fe.jpg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

5 hours ago, jetstream said:

And does very well on lunar! Great scope.

Thanks JS. Got the mini PC left side mounted there, and the Slate velcro'ed to the top of the AsiAir.   What a luxury it is to have decent wifi range.. I can sit inside and run everything in the warmth.  Now ready for anything  😉

Edited by 900SL
  • Like 1

Its hard to say... my first grown-up scope, a NexStar 4SE, deserves a mention as my only scope for a decade. At the moment the favorite would be my Long Perng 90, but just because it's the new thing. 

image.thumb.png.7f75a4a80f730101b64909a9a189f79f.png

• Like 7

Well, this is actually a difficult question! So many different scopes have given me so much joy or wonderful memories, from my first view of Saturn in a Celestron 8SE, or showing Jupiter to relatives through a Skywatcher Equinox 80 (lovely little 'frac that - regret selling it!).

However, for sheer quality of optics (and views), then I have to say my APM LZOS 130 ED.

But I love the looks of my Skylight 100mm F13 even more - something about that long black tube with brass fittings that just triggers my inner Victorian gentleman astronomer/steampunk vibe :).

And, perhaps oddly, of all the scopes I've owned the one I love most is my TAL 125r, simply because of the effort it took to acquire and then to get it fettled.

No one said I had to be rational in my choice ;).

IMG_0458.thumb.JPG.423ab1a297ff0a2be8d9306266412d5e.JPG

gallery_20607_1797_514895.jpg

gallery_20607_1797_2485387.jpg

Edited by Marki
  • Like 16

9 hours ago, Marki said:

Well, this is actually a difficult question! So many different scopes have given me so much joy or wonderful memories, from my first view of Saturn in a Celestron 8SE, or showing Jupiter to relatives through a Skywatcher Equinox 80 (lovely little 'frac that - regret selling it!).

However, for sheer quality of optics (and views), then I have to say my APM LZOS 130 ED.

But I love the looks of my Skylight 100mm F13 even more - something about that long black tube with brass fittings that just triggers my inner Victorian gentleman astronomer/steampunk vibe :).

And, perhaps oddly, of all the scopes I've owned the one I love most is my TAL 125r, simply because of the effort it took to acquire and then to get it fettled.

No one said I had to be rational in my choice ;).

IMG_0458.thumb.JPG.423ab1a297ff0a2be8d9306266412d5e.JPG

gallery_20607_1797_514895.jpg

gallery_20607_1797_2485387.jpg

That Skylight F13 is something else! Wonderful! 

Malcolm 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

This is really difficult for me as I love them all, but if you twisted my arm till it really hurt I would choose this one (but don't tell the others 🙂). It accompanies me on weekends away. It accompanies me abroad. It fits in a very small rucksack, mount, tripod and all. I can get a 5° FOV with a 28mm Erfle (over 7° if I use a 2" eyepiece). I can get a razer sharp x140 with a 2.5mm TOE (I feel it could go further but I've no shorter FL eyepiece or Barlow). And to boot, it's lovely to look at sitting in the corner of the lounge ready for instant use. Even my partner calls it a cutie 😀

Malcolm 

IMG_20210930_095849832.thumb.jpg.c40f3244f21e2b456515eac2d88308fe.jpg

Those fluid damped Manfrotto video heads seem to make lovely astro mounts for scopes within their weight range don't they Malcom? i love mine - a quick lock in Alt or Az with one finger and thumb and nicely damped when not locked. And light to boot...

• Like 1

I’ve tried to come up with an alternative, but it has to be this 4” setup really. It has been abroad with me including to the US, it is fab at Lunar, Solar, planetary, doubles and widefield DSO from a dark site and is a one handed carry out to the garden so gets used a lot. Had it for probably seven or eight years now; it’s a little battle scarred but still going strong and will remain with me until I fall over 👍

9C400B24-7945-4ED7-81F0-9E6C8A0DFF48.jpeg

• Like 11

20 minutes ago, Stu said:

I’ve tried to come up with an alternative, but it has to be this 4” setup really. It has been abroad with me including to the US, it is fab at Lunar, Solar, planetary, doubles and widefield DSO from a dark site and is a one handed carry out to the garden so gets used a lot. Had it for probably seven or eight years now; it’s a little battle scarred but still going strong and will remain with me until I fall over 👍

9C400B24-7945-4ED7-81F0-9E6C8A0DFF48.jpeg

Do you always put up the buntin when using your 4" Tak Stu?

• Haha 7

1 minute ago, mikeDnight said:

Do you always put up the buntin when using your 4" Tak Stu?

Feels like it, but it was my daughter’s birthday around that time so out it came! 👍

• Like 3

The thing I'm enjoying about this thread so far is that there's a real variety of scopes. It seems to me that the scopes we love most are more about the experiences we have with them. My 130M is nowhere near the best scope I've used but I just had the best time learning to use it and finding my way around the constellations for the first time. 

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Littleguy80 said:

The thing I'm enjoying about this thread so far is that there's a real variety of scopes. It seems to me that the scopes we love most are more about the experiences we have with them. My 130M is nowhere near the best scope I've used but I just had the best time learning to use it and finding my way around the constellations for the first time. 

Very true. Actually one scope I really did enjoy which I still miss is my little blue William Optics ZS SD66mm. Such a tiny little thing, really well made and travelled far and wide with me, including to Tanzania and Zanzibar!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Very true. Actually one scope I really did enjoy which I still miss is my little blue William Optics ZS SD66mm. Such a tiny little thing, really well made and travelled far and wide with me, including to Tanzania and Zanzibar!

I was considering my blue ZS66 for this thread, it's been around the forum... might be the same one?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Littleguy80 said:

Which leads to obvious question of what IS your favourite setup now? 😂

Eyeballs MK .75 atm :( but ......watch this space I have a Cunning Plan.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

It was definitely my NP101 but now it might just be my Svbony 48P, 90mm !  Less than half the weight, only 11mm less dia. and also quality in every way and great on my Porta II .

• Like 2