Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Show us your...most loved scope!

She's been few a few wars but she fires every times she does. 

Btw, I'm not a psychopath, there's another Telrad plate on the other side in a more convenient position.

20230624_173006.jpg

Edited by Parus major
  • Like 11
  • Haha 1

On 04/04/2023 at 17:40, John said:

The scope that I feel most affection for is my Vixen ED102SS. I've owned it for 16 years and it is a very versatile workhorse being able to show 4 degrees of sky and also perform sharply at over 200x magnification. It also sits happily on a lightweight mount such as a Porta, AZ-4 or even the AZ-3.

It is not my best performing scope but that's not the point of this thread as I see it, the Vixen always puts a smile on my face when I look though it and having done lots of outreach sessions with this scope, more people other than myself have got to look through it, which I feel is important as well 🙂 

post-17685-0-07668600-1622243805.jpg.59b936ac25e64d1819887f550406190f.jpg

That’s my kinda scope, I would definitely own one of those, not that I am in the market you understand, but that is very cool 

It’s not as practical as my LZOS 105 f/6.2 (not airline carry on), it cannot quite compete with the supreme optics or extra aperture of my LZOS 130 f/9.2 and nothing can match my LZOS 180mm triplet, but the one I love the most is my LZOS 115 f/7. It was my first super high quality scope (had owned scopes for more than a decade before I bought in 2004) which showed me how good optics could be. For that reason, it is the one I love the most.

E477316D-49D5-430B-86A1-14E6890ACF92.jpeg.31646db66cbebe888f380214651141cf.jpeg
For its 15th birthday in 2019, I had APM build a new OTA with larger focuser so it has the latest clothes to match those optics.

• Like 15

6 minutes ago, Parus major said:

That bass is exquisite.
Not to say the scope isn't

Thanks! Shuker Uberhorn Fretless - the top is African Blackwood. Kinda feel it matches the TV for build quality and style

Edited by Bridgehouse

12 hours ago, Bridgehouse said:

Shuker Uberhorn Fretless

It certainly is a thing of beauty.

I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but, I'm a traditionalist. I prefer the Höfner 500/1 which of course features in my favourite group :smile:

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mr Spock said:

It certainly is a thing of beauty.

I don't want to drag the thread off topic, but, I'm a traditionalist. I prefer the Höfner 500/1 which of course features in my favourite group :smile:

I've played a few Höfners - The 500 was nice, but the Verythin was really superb. Bit like scopes - there's loads out there and most are great fun!

• Like 1

On 04/04/2023 at 11:20, sqfab said:

Takahashi’s small APO 60🥰
He is a real mechanic who adapts to all situations: visual, astrophoto
Here the version with 1.7X extender (600mm focal length) mounted on a small equatorial mount.
Quickly mounted, quickly used and always images at the TOP
Pascal

Tak FS60 on equatorial mount.jpg

He? There are male scopes! Well you learn something new everyday…

• Haha 1

On 26/06/2023 at 06:18, Franklin said:

The Vixen SD115S has been my dream scope for many years and here it is.

IMG_3989.JPG

IMG_3980.JPG

I know what that feels like when you finally get one you’ve been waiting for. I love that, I am delighted for you. 

• Like 1

My fav is the SW ED120. Love it so much. Wanted one since the launch of gold tube model. Optics are epic, the tube relatively lightweight and the focuser works well for the most part. Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon were stunning in it this morning. 

_1027066.JPG

• Like 10

On 05/07/2023 at 19:46, Parus major said:

I'm definitely winning the least aesthetically pleasing set up what with the rust and the dents.

It's the most loved that counts in this thread 😉

The one I posted was my oldest and one of my least expensive scopes. But I'd not be without it 😁

Edited by John
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

11 hours ago, John said:

It's the most loved that counts in this thread 😉

The one I posted was my oldest and one of my least expensive scopes. But I'd not be without it 😁

I saw that one, it's a piece of art.

I'm happy to report I've cleaned off the rust from the weights and repainted them. It's not a perfect job or anything but they're clean. 

The telescope itself I can't do much about, the cosmetic marks it sustained from getting kicked over by a couple of drunks who saw it in my garden at 3am are scars of its life. I had to break it down to tap out a crease and the focuser bolts were pulled out. I did think about buying a replacement but the primary mirror was undamaged so I decided to fit a new focuser and a new secondsry. At this stage I think with the flocking and the new focuser it's as good as a skywatcher 150PL can get. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, FenderGreg said:

I actually don’t have a picture of my setup?!? How?!

But I have the SW Evostar 80ED (500mm) and TS Optics RC6 (1300mm) and really couldn’t decide between the two as to which is my favourite!

Imagine them both dangling off a cliff and you can only save one…

• Haha 3

On 07/07/2023 at 18:02, russ said:

My fav is the SW ED120. Love it so much. Wanted one since the launch of gold tube model. Optics are epic, the tube relatively lightweight and the focuser works well for the most part. Jupiter, Saturn and the Moon were stunning in it this morning. 

_1027066.JPG

I had one from new about 10 years ago. One of the few scopes I regretted selling, amazing value for money 

• Like 2

I am very fond of my ED120 as well. It is an older one than @russ has. The optics in it are really good - I've realised just how good since I've been able to compare it with my much more expensive Tak FC100 and LZOS 130 🙂

ed120ercole01.JPG.6cfc9aeb387f1786f00da3f4eaee204f.JPGed120ercole02.JPG.915c690027c26e830722e5b454f9218b.JPG

• Like 5

1 hour ago, John said:

I am very fond of my ED120 as well. It is an older one than @russ has. The optics in it are really good - I've realised just how good since I've been able to compare it with my much more expensive Tak FC100 and LZOS 130 🙂

ed120ercole01.JPG.6cfc9aeb387f1786f00da3f4eaee204f.JPGed120ercole02.JPG.915c690027c26e830722e5b454f9218b.JPG

I know, very close. I sold mine to put the money towards a Tak. I found the quality of the views almost too close to call and missed the additional aperture. The ED120 was probably a better scope all things taken into consideration. Why I never bought another is something of a mystery. I had an ED100 too at one time, the scope before the 120, another bargain. I put a feather touch on it, like we all did back the day. Does anyone upgrade focusers anymore?

• Like 1