Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

FLO at Astrofest 2023

FLO

Some photos of the FLO stall, taken just before doors open. 

We try not to set up 'shop' when attending events. Instead, we focus on new products and services. 

Our new Remote Observatory hosting project in Spain is ready for launch, so Grant is showing one of the imaging rigs available for lease, while another, in Spain, provides live views of the Sun direct to our stall 🌞

We have StellaLyra telescopes, including a 16" RC on an EQ8 mount that has been upgraded by Tony Owens' of Shebumi Astro Engineering. Tony is with us at the stall. So too, is Alverez from AstronScientific, with one of their Rotarian rotators. 

We also have telescopes from Takahashi, StellaMira, William Optics, Sharpstar and Askar - including the new Askar 65 PHQ Quintuplet. Some Paramount and iOptron mounts and, of course, cameras from ZWO. 

Oh, and our new parallelogram binocular mount. Designed entirely in-house, with help from some beta-testers (shown on right of photo 1). 

My colleagues on the stall are amateur astronomers. None are salespeople (we don't have a card-reader with us, so are unable to process payments). If, however, you like what you see and think you might buy later, please ask for a show discount code. 

Hope to see you there 🤗

flo_at_astrofest_2023_1.jpeg.e2feb7952a50b470841ce2188dc0bf78.jpegflo_at_astrofest_2023_2.jpeg.31710734fef547cdb0060e5517c2c921.jpegflo_at_astrofest_2023_3.jpeg.e7fd77de91226b0542a438a75928f24f.jpegflo_at_astrofest_2023_4.jpeg.b368bf3b331ef0afcc23dc6ca6724bbb.jpeg

• Like 18

Just now, Alan White said:

Interesting tripods with the Skytees?
What are they??

The tripods are new. The Alt-Az mounts are also new, kinda. (We now source both direct from the factory).

Neither are on our website, but they soon will be.

260923942_alt-azmount_sgl.jpg.0d6c1b2e033487676065e5c64dbf707c.jpg

• Like 8

16 minutes ago, ED Splitter said:

Oh, you tease!

Not intentional. Honest 😇

The tripod and mount are only two from a long list of new products waiting to be photographed and added to our website. Only so many hours in a day 🙂

• Like 2

I just remembered, I should mention our new parallelogram binocular mount (shown on the right of photo 1).

Designed entirely in-house, with help from some beta-testers. 

Not on our website yet, but it will be soon. I'll start a separate discussion when it is added. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, FLO said:

The tripods are new. The Alt-Az mounts are also new, kinda. (We now source both direct from the factory).

Neither are on our website, but they soon will be.

260923942_alt-azmount_sgl.jpg.0d6c1b2e033487676065e5c64dbf707c.jpg

We talking actual soon or Skywatcher Soon™?

• Like 1
  • Haha 4

12 minutes ago, Ratlet said:

We talking actual soon or Skywatcher Soon™?

This month.

If you are thinking of the Alt-Az mount, then you probably already know it. Alan white mentioned the version, already on the market, branded SkyTee. 

The tripod looked familiar when I set it up to be photographed. It is like the William Optics wooden tripod sold (years ago) for their now-discontinued EZtouch Alt-Az mount. I wouldn't be surprised to find it is the same tripod. 

The parallelogram binocular mount, however, is an all-new product. 

HTH, 

Steve 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, FLO said:

I just remembered, I should mention our new parallelogram binocular mount (shown on the right of photo 1).

I had a play with this at the IAS last year and it was a really superb piece of kit, very ably and enthusiastically demonstrated by one of the FLO gang (who I believe designed it?). I think it will sell well, very interested myself…..

• Like 2

It's high time you let that poor old battered Corondo 90 go to a good home cheap , it's been dragged up and down the country for years now from show to show so deserves a gentle , happy retirement here in deepest Suffolk where I'll give it all the love it deserves ... 😉

On 03/02/2023 at 14:57, FLO said:

Not on our website yet, but it will be soon. I'll start a separate discussion when it is added. 

Be interested when launched! :) 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 03/02/2023 at 15:26, FLO said:

This month.

If you are thinking of the Alt-Az mount, then you probably already know it. Alan white mentioned the version, already on the market, branded SkyTee. 

The tripod looked familiar when I set it up to be photographed. It is like the William Optics wooden tripod sold (years ago) for their now-discontinued EZtouch Alt-Az mount. I wouldn't be surprised to find it is the same tripod. 

The parallelogram binocular mount, however, is an all-new product. 

HTH, 

Steve 

@FLO any news on the new products yet? Can see you've been busy adding lots of new stuff recently but haven't seen the tripod or Parallelogram appear yet, very interested to see what you've done as the other products like Stellalyra have been very well received 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, doublevodka said:

@FLO any news on the new products yet? Can see you've been busy adding lots of new stuff recently but haven't seen the tripod or Parallelogram appear yet, very interested to see what you've done as the other products like Stellalyra have been very well received 👍

Both mounts are almost ready. 

It is surprising how long it takes to bring a new product to market. Not so much the Alt-Az mount, which has been available in one form or another for a long time. When the Alt-Az mounts arrived at our warehouse we didn't like the counterweight knobs, so we are sourcing others. When they arrive, it will be good to go.

The binocular parallelogram mount is an all-new product, designed entirely in-house, so has been in development for some time. We sent a near-finished prototype to Steve Tonkin at BinocularSky. Steve has a lot of experience with this mount type and is probably the UK's best-known binocular astronomer. He made some suggestions that have since been incorporated into the design. We want to send him the latest version. If all is good, then that too will be ready for launch.

Thank you for asking 🙂 

Steve

• Like 5

9 minutes ago, Alan White said:

@FLO thanks for the update,
presently it keeps me entertained looking each day for when the tripods arrive.

We have two tripods in the pipeline. A wooden one and a carbon-fibre one. Both will be launched soon. 

There are a lot of new products planned or already in development. It's all good fun 🙂 

Steve

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, FLO said:

We have two tripods in the pipeline. A wooden one and a carbon-fibre one. Both will be launched soon. 

There are a lot of new products planned or already in development. It's all good fun 🙂 

Steve

I knew the wooden one was coming, but good on you for bringing more as well.
Keep up the good work.

• Like 1