NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky at Night, 14th Nov

DaveS

Being a Sky at Night fanboy I'm not one to complain but as an end of year finale I found last night's episode somewhat lacking. Streaming services are chocca with Multiverse documentaries and I don't think the team brought anything new to the table.

More amateur astronomy please lads and lasses.

Is Sky at Night going the way of so many BBC programmes in its dumbing down?  I saw  the question time show recently and it was starting to look like " entertainment for the under 10's". The BBC has done this so many times and failed. I used to really look forward to the programme, but not so much these days. Oh well can't please all the people all the time.

I have to agree with the previous posts about it not being very good. Although I think maybe my discontent is due to my expectations that it should still in some way resemble the show I grew up with. Still I really do struggle with it.

maybe ditch the professionals and bring in a number of passionate amateurs to present it and keep the pros for guest appearances 

• Like 2

Watching it now and finding it enjoyable. I liked the restaurant discussion with the professionals and the new unit of measurement in reference to dark matter "the mass of a squirrel" :)  We can add that one to the Giraffe that was released earlier in the year! Fascinating to see that work to develop a language to communicate to possible extra terrestrials, METI , was influenced by studies of animal communications. All in all I thought it was fun and entertaining, if any complaint it was that it was too short.  I would love for the BBC to produce a hour long special edition of Sky At Night.

Jim

Edited by saac
  • Like 2

There’s an inevitability about this. The BBC is under huge pressure from all sides to justify itself in a digital world, and niche programmes are most vulnerable as they try to attract a younger audience. So I sympathise with their plight, even if I don’t enjoy the Sky at Night much these days. It’s the excessive jocularity and enthusiasm that sticks in my craw. But then we were spoilt with Sir Patrick - an impossible act to follow.

• Like 1

While it wasn't the best I'm surprised by the strong reaction against. I thought it was a decent 6/10 in terms of balance. If i'd been a youngster say 11 years old I'm sure most wont be familiar with multiverse, QM or black holes so it may spark an interest. If you want a more technical description there are lots of alternatives which may be the point. 40 odd years ago there was no internet and Sky at Night was one of the few programs out there and no competition, now we are spoilt for choice and its easy to compare apples and oranges and people here may be more knowledgeable on these topics than the public

As someone else pointed out, I think the issue was it was too short for the things it tried, each topic could be an episode

• Like 1

The fact that I did not watch it live or record it says a lot but having read these post's I watched it on the net and I thought it was not too bad.

Clearly spent two months budget on CGI but if it encourages just one person to take up physics then it will have done its job

• Like 2