Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher AZ-GTiX Dual Saddle Alt-Az Astronomy Mount

FLO

On 13/11/2022 at 15:50, Ags said:

Ooh very interesting. Max 6kg load one sided... does that mean a 6-0 split would be ok, and if so would 7-3 or 8-2 be ok?

'Payload Capacity: 10kg Total Payload, 6kg Total Side Payload.'.

Definitely interesting. Although they are still using the same naff saddle clamps. I've tried an L-bracket mounted small Mak on the current AZGTI. Functional but a little bouncy!

Is that also a new beefy extension tube in the pics or just for show?

Hopefully manufacturing  hiccups have been sorted for this version and two returns won't be required to get a good one. 🙄

Edit: I answered my own question about the 'beefy' extension tube. Included in the kit is a shorter and wider tube than the original separately purchased tube. A nice addition.

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

It's awesome!!! Received one from FLO on Wednesday. Nice addition to our kit. It handles our 6SE CST with ease, tracks well for EAA, and the 'point and track' function is brilliant. Plus with dual encoders (Freedom Find), I can disengage the motors anytime to guide it myself. Still working out how to control it via ASIair though. They link up just fine over wifi, but tracking and goto from the ASI app are a mess, so I must be missing something in the alignment process, but considering that this is only my third night out with it, I'm not overly concerned with that. For now, SynScan does the job for alignment and tracking and the ASIair just goes along for the ride.

Edited by SCANS
  • Like 1

I received my AZ-GTIX from FLO Friday 18th November together with Skywatcher Startravel  120mm refractor + Synscan V5 Handset both to go on it. First Class 5 Starservice from FLO especially ALEX with Extensive Help & advice he has Given me, as I’m a “Returning” amateur astronomer in my later 60’s. When I retired 3 years ago I bought my first telescope in 50 yrs: A Nextstar 8SE. I really love the SE 8” ota but afraid I found the SE mount too ‘Wobbly’ & felt the ota was too heavy for celestron SE package mount. As I also decided I would like a wider field refractor, I thought this new AZ-GTIX would be perfect as only do Visual. I managed to get both to Just Under its manufacturers 10kg payload limit by using digital scales @ 9.9kg total(5.7kg + 4.2kg) Exact including both ota’s & digonals & eyepieces & Finderscopes. It is Far more Solid and maybe twice as Stable with both ota’s carefully balanced than my Celestron 8SE mount = I’m a Very Happy Customer!

7428F3D3-4176-4810-872D-015AF7896891.thumb.jpeg.b2ec9eaf7c574f90c4935221b6378a55.jpeg3E703281-CE42-4FD8-8DB8-2C32A35A65CD.thumb.jpeg.cb9f95ad6809da2749e13f6a59c9f833.jpegABD1D4C0-085F-4DD5-B030-FA64D4406F6B.thumb.jpeg.4676badc2a8ede5f8618d59671eeb9e9.jpegE99F8E66-46E4-462B-9DBA-467BA62655B5.thumb.jpeg.c71bc33171dbc4798f303c29447a7fba.jpeg34D66ED9-C567-4156-AED0-5A347A4A4F0C.thumb.jpeg.688080f8e17d3e22c51049fc94ea3398.jpeg

Edited by garyR
  • Like 10

1 hour ago, garyR said:

I received my AZ-GTIX from FLO Friday 18th November together with Skywatcher Startravel  120mm refractor + Synscan V5 Handset both to go on it. First Class 5 Starservice from FLO especially ALEX with Extensive Help & advice he has Given me, as I’m a “Returning” amateur astronomer in my later 60’s. When I retired 3 years ago I bought my first telescope in 50 yrs: A Nextstar 8SE. I really love the SE 8” ota but afraid I found the SE mount too ‘Wobbly’ & felt the ota was too heavy for celestron SE package mount. As I also decided I would like a wide field refractor, I thought this new AZ-GTIX would be perfect as only do Visual. I managed to get both Just Under its 10kg by using digital scales @ 9.9kg (5.7kg + 4.2kg) Exact including both ota’s & digonals & eyepieces & Finderscopes. It is Far more Solid and maybe twice as Stable with both ota’s carefully balanced than my Celestron 8SE mount = I’m a Very Happy Customer!

7428F3D3-4176-4810-872D-015AF7896891.thumb.jpeg.b2ec9eaf7c574f90c4935221b6378a55.jpeg3E703281-CE42-4FD8-8DB8-2C32A35A65CD.thumb.jpeg.cb9f95ad6809da2749e13f6a59c9f833.jpegABD1D4C0-085F-4DD5-B030-FA64D4406F6B.thumb.jpeg.4676badc2a8ede5f8618d59671eeb9e9.jpegE99F8E66-46E4-462B-9DBA-467BA62655B5.thumb.jpeg.c71bc33171dbc4798f303c29447a7fba.jpeg34D66ED9-C567-4156-AED0-5A347A4A4F0C.thumb.jpeg.688080f8e17d3e22c51049fc94ea3398.jpeg

Does it work OK with the C8 on the mount on its own?

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Knighty2112 said:

Does it work OK with the C8 on the mount on its own?

Hi knighty,  I don’t know as dont use it with 1 ota.  It would be within the manufacturers limit of 6kg on one side ? But handbook does not mention individual weights so a ‘puzzler’ to me I’m afraid 

4 minutes ago, garyR said:

Hi knighty,  I don’t know as dont use it with 1 ota.  It would be within the manufacturers limit of 6kg on one side ? But handbook does not mention individual weights so a ‘puzzler’ to me I’m afraid 

OK. Ta. Was just curious as I have an 8SE goto mount too.

• Like 1

What an amazing looking little mount! I shall do some weighing of my solar setup to see whether this is an option for that. The Tak is certainly ok I’m sure, the PST mod may be a bit too much but will check. Looks really good anyway, nice to see some positive reports already, and amazing that it takes a C8!

• Like 1

FOOTNOTE: it’s Unbelievable Quick to Set Up as Only 3 pieces in total & No Re Balancing Needed. The 120mm refractor stays attached to the mount(see photo below) as the L Bracket acts also as a Fantastic Carrying Handle So simply: 1) Stand & level the tripod > 2) using the L Bracket Upright as carry handle lift easily the mount c/w refactor ota on to tripod with Left hand & tighten tripod Nutt with right hand > 3) Put 8SE ota on other side (Mark on 8SE Dovetail position along rail first time Only you use it )  > No need for any balancing again as it’s ‘Ready To Go’. Similarly Disassembling same in reverse in 3 pieces. 3D26C4D5-D6B3-477C-B17C-47568870A4E0.thumb.jpeg.8297331c34c23293b8c2de8b750629f9.jpeg

Edited by garyR
  • Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 10:22, garyR said:

FOOTNOTE: it’s Unbelievable Quick to Set Up as Only 3 pieces in total & No Re Balancing Needed. The 120mm refractor stays attached to the mount(see photo below) as the L Bracket acts also as a Fantastic Carrying Handle So simply: 1) Stand & level the tripod > 2) using the L Bracket Upright as carry handle lift easily the mount c/w refactor ota on to tripod with Left hand & tighten tripod Nutt with right hand > 3) Put 8SE ota on other side (Mark on 8SE Dovetail position along rail first time Only you use it )  > No need for any balancing again as it’s ‘Ready To Go’. Similarly Disassembling same in reverse in 3 pieces. 3D26C4D5-D6B3-477C-B17C-47568870A4E0.thumb.jpeg.8297331c34c23293b8c2de8b750629f9.jpeg

Having previously used an L-bracket mounted 102mm Maksutov on the vanilla AZGTI, I'm not convinced this is a stable set up free from obtrusive vibration. How are the vibes when you touch the scope or refocus?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Graham Darke said:

Presumably this could also be used with a wedge in the same way that some people use the original AZ-GTi?

Maybe, but one would presumably lose the use of one of the sides. Balance could become an issue too. That said, never underestimate the pioneering spirit of astronomers and our will to experiment 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Having previously used an L-bracket mounted 102mm Maksutov on the vanilla AZGTI, I'm not convinced this is a stable set up free from obtrusive vibration. How are the vibes when you touch the scope or refocus?

Definitely some shift when I touch my SE6 to focus, but perhaps not quite as bad as the NexStar mount. The good news is that it calms down within a second or two and it never interfered with my ability to getting our camera to focus at high magnification. Perhaps the design of the tripod dampens the effect somewhat? Or maybe it's just a matter of perception being influenced by the excitement of having a new mount? Not sure, but it isn't an issue for me. YMMV 👍

• Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, SCANS said:

Definitely some shift when I touch my SE6 to focus, but perhaps not quite as bad as the NexStar mount. The good news is that it calms down within a second or two and it never interfered with my ability to getting our camera to focus at high magnification. Perhaps the design of the tripod dampens the effect somewhat? Or maybe it's just a matter of perception being influenced by the excitement of having a new mount? Not sure, but it isn't an issue for me. YMMV 👍

Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously considering selling the old AZGTi to fund one of these. The extra one side 1kg payload limit over the previous version should make a big difference... I wonder if this one will comfortably hold a 4" f7 refractor? I know others used the old AZGTI with theirs but I wasn't convinced!

Edited by ScouseSpaceCadet
  • Like 2

Interessssssssting!   I read something on Cloudy Nights recently about a dual scope set-up on a GTi.  Looked like it required a bit more kludging than I'd be willing to do.  This potentially changes things.  🧐

I'm also curious about running a 102ED f7 on this.  

Edited by jjohnson3803

2 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Thanks for the reply. I'm seriously considering selling the old AZGTi to fund one of these. The extra one side 1kg payload limit over the previous version should make a big difference... I wonder if this one will comfortably hold a 4" f7 refractor? I know others used the old AZGTI with theirs but I wasn't convinced!

Yeah, that one 1kg is a 20% gain and with the ability to load the other side with another 4kg of gear, it becomes a viable option for a lot of systems that were just on the edge with an AZ-GTi.

If it helps, our 6SE CST rig weighs 4.47kg complete with dew shield and everything else that we use for our EAA sessions, and it tracks well enough for 20 second exposures using an ASIair. It might even do 30 seconds, but I haven't had any targets in the right place in the sky to warrant trying that yet.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, SCANS said:

Maybe, but one would presumably lose the use of one of the sides. Balance could become an issue too. That said, never underestimate the pioneering spirit of astronomers and our will to experiment 😁

Would be nice to be able to use it in EQ mode with one small scope or in alt-az mode with one or two scopes.

I see that you are down on the South Shore of NS. I’ve been down there a few times with my work. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ScouseSpaceCadet said:

Afraid I can only compare to my Celestron Nextar 8SE what I found horrendous even if I just caught my eye slightly against the rubber eyepiece eyecup, it would take ages to settle down. But hardly noticeable with my AZGTIX. Possibly because the 9.9kg payload, but that’s only my best guess

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, garyR said:

Afraid I can only compare to my Celestron Nextar 8SE what I found horrendous even if I just caught my eye slightly against the rubber eyepiece eyecup, it would take ages to settle down. But hardly noticeable with my AZGTIX. Possibly because the 9.9kg payload, but that’s only my best guess

I had the same thing with the NexStar mount and the 6SE, but like you, hardly noticeable with the AZ-GTiX. Probably not payload related because our entire OTA only weighs 4.47kg. Might be magic 😁

• Like 1