Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher AZ-GTiX Dual Saddle Alt-Az Astronomy Mount

FLO

Another magical thing about this little mount is that it seems to have weather defying properties. Contrary to the disclaimer that FLO affixes to their packages, ours did NOT contain clouds. In our first week of ownership, we had four nights of pretty good seeing, including the day it arrived 😁

• Haha 1

I seem to have accidentally ordered one of these now 😱😱🤣🤣. Looking forward to getting it. I would hope that the ADM clamps fit as replacements, and I’d like to see if the saddles can be positioned parallel so as to properly mount two scopes without the L bracket. Will report back!

• Like 5

53 minutes ago, Stu said:

I seem to have accidentally ordered one of these now 😱😱🤣🤣. Looking forward to getting it. I would hope that the ADM clamps fit as replacements, and I’d like to see if the saddles can be positioned parallel so as to properly mount two scopes without the L bracket. Will report back!

Hey Stu, the left side mount has three hex screws that might be able to be loosened so as to rotate that clamp per your idea. I'd just as soon not mess with mine, but it certainly looks like it could be done.

• Thanks 1

I could do with just a bit more hight for the refractor. The below “Upgrade” skywatcher tripod p/n: 20316 was no higher as both are 115cm & I no problem with stability. 
Does anyone know if the Skywatcher AZ GTI  extension tube p/n: will fit the X.

Thanks

F68020E5-2E04-473A-ABFF-F3996D7ADA77.thumb.jpeg.22bd50546ec6b1ff83ea031c1592543e.jpeg

Edited by garyR

1 hour ago, garyR said:

I could do with just a bit more hight for the refractor. The below “Upgrade” skywatcher tripod p/n: 20316 was no higher as both are 115cm & I no problem with stability. 

Thanks

F68020E5-2E04-473A-ABFF-F3996D7ADA77.thumb.jpeg.22bd50546ec6b1ff83ea031c1592543e.jpeg

I’ll be able to check soon, as I have the pillar and a GTiX arriving soon, but my assumption is that it will fit. It is listed as an ‘often bought with’ below the mount.

• Thanks 1

I've just bought this mount from FLO to carry the bog standard 127 mak that came with the AZ-GTi I have, and on the hunt for a refractor to compliment it on the GTiX. 

I have just realised my powertank is completely dead, won't recharge. Can anyone recommend a replacement?

• Like 1

On 30/11/2022 at 20:52, SCANS said:

Hey Stu, the left side mount has three hex screws that might be able to be loosened so as to rotate that clamp per your idea. I'd just as soon not mess with mine, but it certainly looks like it could be done.

Well I was brave 🤪🤣, and loosened those three grub screws and then it was a simple matter to realign the saddle so that they are parallel! It also has an adjustment for getting exact alignment in az which is great. Looking forward to giving it a go.

1281555C-32CC-4D0F-B0A3-1CF9A808971C.jpeg

8BCE54EC-21EF-4DA3-B394-20872CBD5C22.jpeg

• Like 7
  • Thanks 2

On 01/12/2022 at 10:35, garyR said:

Thanks

Gary, the Skywatcher pillar does fit 👍

8DAB0E35-9627-4082-BCA4-C2B2E32805A3.jpeg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Thanks Robertl & Stu,

My Extension arrived today & I measured New Hight (both extensions fitted) to be 157 cm  from ground to Centre of Saddle Plates, where I have Marked with a Red Cross91DFD761-D3F9-4542-BA1A-17FF894E0729.thumb.jpeg.0e101256eff8653e73fe30f1858c5819.jpeg

Edited by garyR
  • Like 5

Tried the two scopes on the AZGTiX today. I think they are on the limit due to length and the weight of the binoviewers, but it slewed perfectly well with no sign of straining motors. There is perhaps a bit much backlash but I’ll need to try it out in order to see if it is a workable solution. Certainly for the FS-60C and 76DC it will be very handy. I tried it out with SkySafari and it connects very easily.

375595E6-7E6E-4A14-BCF7-E4DE9DF9673C.jpeg

D28EF96F-B86E-4D29-9D8E-0481A7A7141B.jpeg

• Like 9

Indeed very interesting. 

Was wondering if anyone had a picture of the AZ-GTi and AZ-GTiX side by side? The AZ-GTiX looks bigger then the the AZ-GTi. Not sure if that's an illusion or real.

I have the AZ-GTi and I'm happy with it's performance. But the new model with 1kg more payload looks very interesting. 

On 05/12/2022 at 06:16, Matthew Star said:

Very interesting.

Now I'm curious if it can handle a Skymax 180MC balanced with a 115EDT

I know the Ioptron LiteRoc can take a lot more than advertized when it is balanced.

Hi Matthew,

is there a posting/thread somewhere on your above mentioned 2 ota’s on a AZ GTIX. I’m guessing a Skywax 180 Mac alone will be 8+ kg. 
thanks 

Completely unrelated to me buying a new tripod that just so happens to be compatible with this:

Do you think this would handle a 130pds okay?  Should be less than 6kg all told, just slightly concerned about the movement arm.

Also, can you still manually point this and enable tracking like you can with the gti?

Yes. I've done that several times when I just want to get going without bothering to align. Tracking isn't as accurate and using goto for subsequent objects seldom hits the mark, but that isn't a big deal, I just centre the new object, hit the 'point and track' button again and enjoy the view. It's really nice on unsettled nights when I get a break in the clouds and I've grabbed my scope, rushed outside, turned on the mount and started viewing within a minute or two. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SCANS said:

Yes. I've done that several times when I just want to get going without bothering to align. Tracking isn't as accurate and using goto for subsequent objects seldom hits the mark, but that isn't a big deal, I just centre the new object, hit the 'point and track' button again and enjoy the view. It's really nice on unsettled nights when I get a break in the clouds and I've grabbed my scope, rushed outside, turned on the mount and started viewing within a minute or two. 

Hmmm.

I was afraid you were going to say that.  I'd best start saving!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Ags said:

...but does it have EQ mode?

Hi Ags, not that I'm aware of. Even if you could do a firmware upgrade like on the GTi/Gte versions, there isn't anywhere to mount a counterweight bar. There might be a way to modify one of the saddles to receive one, but that would reduce it to single scope capacity while only gaining one kilo over the 5kg GTi payload limit. Sure, that's 20%, but it doesn't seem like it would be a particularly elegant solution compared to a GTi. I suppose one might be able to craft some sort of wedge like Celestron does for the NexStar SE scopes, though for the trouble and risks such a solution might pose for the gear, it's questionable what they'd gain by doing so, verses just getting an actual EQ mount with sufficient capacity. 

Hi, please permit a possibly  stupid question regarding the dual AZ-GTiX Dual Saddle. With two scopes fitted and the mount aligned via one of the scopes (for example, my 127 mak), will the second scope (potentially a small refractor) be centred on the same target? 

• Like 2

On 18/12/2022 at 15:05, Steve72 said:

Hi, please permit a possibly  stupid question regarding the dual AZ-GTiX Dual Saddle. With two scopes fitted and the mount aligned via one of the scopes (for example, my 127 mak), will the second scope (potentially a small refractor) be centred on the same target? 

Hey Steve72, nothing stupid about that at all. And good news. The left saddle and the saddle on the L-bracket have adjusting screws for aligning the two scopes. It took a bit to understand what those screws were for and why they included the bracket in the kit, but it became perfectly clear as soon as I tried mounting our refractor. I've adjusted them by aligning to a distant tree top much like setting up an RDF. Should be pretty close and as soon as these infernal clouds relent, I'll be able to make the final adjustments under the stars. 

• Like 1

Ooh! This one has gone right to the top of my wishlist. I've hovered over the buy button on a SkyTee 2 so many times as I really want to mount a widefield next to the Mak, but hesitated as I find the tracking on the AZGTi so useful.  This appears to be the perfect solution and well priced. 

Will be very interested to learn if the ADM clamps configured for the original AZGTi fit this model as this upgrade made an unexpectedly dramatic improvement.   

Might have to have a rummage through the stable, see what I can sell...

• Like 2