Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

NEW Sky-Watcher AZ-GTiX Dual Saddle Alt-Az Astronomy Mount

FLO

12 hours ago, SuburbanMak said:

Will be very interested to learn if the ADM clamps configured for the original AZGTi fit this model . . .

ADM makes clamps for the AZGTi?!!! Nice! I must investigate 👍

• 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Stu1smartcookie said:

This looks a great addition to the portable AZ goto range. Is there any reason why one would need to use the L Bracket at all , can two scopes not sit side by side without that bracket ( sorry if that’s been answered before ) 

Yes, you can realign the clamps to be parallel so that the L bracket isn’t needed.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Just hit "buy" with our friends at @FLO on the AZGTiX  + an ADM uprated clamp (only the one as I can see the Az alignment screws are integral to the SW original puck, so will have to live with that side to get everything facing the same way!).   Very exciting! As a satisfied AZGTi user I have wanted to mount my 2in modified ST80 widefield next to the Mak 127 for the last 18 months, now its just a question of waiting on that postman, some nerve-wracking DIY and then of course, the weather...

Will put first impressions on here when it arrives. 

• Like 6

Not sure if people do this or not, but would it be possible to use the L bracket to mount a small counterweight if only one scope's being used? That might make the 6kg limit for one-sided use a little higher. I realise it'd be side on in profile but I don't suppose that matters.

Well it arrived!

After checking that everything appeared to be working (ie before invalidating the guarantee…) I set about it with a screwdriver intending to uprate the main clamp with an ADM version - however, as far as I can see this can’t be fitted.  
The main clamp appears to be a single cast item that is integral with the shaft that runs right through the mount. The second clamp is of a different design using grub screws to grip the central shaft. So I will have to see if FLO will take back the ADM upgraded clamp or there will be one up in the classifieds here soon! 

I’ve settled then for making the rotation described by @Stu to have both clamps in parallel.  I now have ST80 and Mak 127 riding side by side and it looks extremely cool!  The mount seems perfectly happy with the load which is well within its stated weight tolerance. 
I’ve spent some time today checking alignment which is achieved by adjusting the screws on the secondary clamp.  
By mounting in parallel and not using the supplied L-bracket, I am only able to use one of the adjusters, meaning I can only align for Alt.  Looks like in the Az plane, the two scopes are out by about half a degree, which I can live with based on the ST80’s huge 5.25 degree field.  They are now perfectly aligned for Alt. 
Looking forward to seeing how this all performs once these clouds clear! 

Im sharing a photo below of the new mount alongside the standard AZGTi for size. 
I note that the Az clutch is still the flimsy thing from the original so will continue to include a Feisol PB70 to make this s nice manual mount without having to fiddle with the Az clutch in the mount which I can leave locked. (Had a brainwave though and have put this under the pillar this time which makes it much easier to access than when it’s right up under the mount base As I had it before). 

0E5137F8-DD22-4C89-B0D4-AEB8BB875415.jpeg

B281B4A5-0C8B-44F0-8B80-3F0C66592035.jpeg

F17B03EE-4270-4334-AEC4-C46241F2B4ED.jpeg

06DF642F-916C-4FA3-BE9F-F6CECA98C2D0.jpeg

84624063-BEF6-4D5A-A47E-AF03F0188E1A.jpeg

C00EC6B6-21D1-4848-BCCB-6796137C5E96.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 8

1 hour ago, Ratlet said:

That looks awesome.  Is that a panning bit between the Berlebach and the mount?  

I wonder if a thin wedge could be 3D printed to put a slight angle on the ST80 to get it to line up?

Yes it is, that’s a Feisol PB 70 panning base. I use this if I’m going fully manual. Of course doing it this way means data doesn’t flow through to the “Freedom Find” encoders but if I’m having a session where I bother to align I just use the app controller to move around and it remembers where it is pointing.   The goal is to avoid having to over work the Az clutch on the mount, I’ve no particular evidence to suggest that it’s a regular point of failure but it does just look and feel a bit flimsy. The Alt clutch on the other hand is nice and solid and has been beefed up a bit on this iteration of the mount. 
Generally it’s all a bit chunkier, I imagine they’ve uprated the motors a bit and it’s the better for it, seems to be scooting about very solidly with this load on board and I think would handle quite a bit more. 

Edited by SuburbanMak

• 2 weeks later...
On 29/01/2023 at 15:48, SuburbanMak said:

Well it arrived!

After checking that everything appeared to be working (ie before invalidating the guarantee…) I set about it with a screwdriver intending to uprate the main clamp with an ADM version - however, as far as I can see this can’t be fitted.  
The main clamp appears to be a single cast item that is integral with the shaft that runs right through the mount. The second clamp is of a different design using grub screws to grip the central shaft. So I will have to see if FLO will take back the ADM upgraded clamp or there will be one up in the classifieds here soon! 

I’ve settled then for making the rotation described by @Stu to have both clamps in parallel.  I now have ST80 and Mak 127 riding side by side and it looks extremely cool!  The mount seems perfectly happy with the load which is well within its stated weight tolerance. 
I’ve spent some time today checking alignment which is achieved by adjusting the screws on the secondary clamp.  
By mounting in parallel and not using the supplied L-bracket, I am only able to use one of the adjusters, meaning I can only align for Alt.  Looks like in the Az plane, the two scopes are out by about half a degree, which I can live with based on the ST80’s huge 5.25 degree field.  They are now perfectly aligned for Alt. 
Looking forward to seeing how this all performs once these clouds clear! 

Im sharing a photo below of the new mount alongside the standard AZGTi for size. 
I note that the Az clutch is still the flimsy thing from the original so will continue to include a Feisol PB70 to make this s nice manual mount without having to fiddle with the Az clutch in the mount which I can leave locked. (Had a brainwave though and have put this under the pillar this time which makes it much easier to access than when it’s right up under the mount base As I had it before). 

0E5137F8-DD22-4C89-B0D4-AEB8BB875415.jpeg

B281B4A5-0C8B-44F0-8B80-3F0C66592035.jpeg

F17B03EE-4270-4334-AEC4-C46241F2B4ED.jpeg

06DF642F-916C-4FA3-BE9F-F6CECA98C2D0.jpeg

84624063-BEF6-4D5A-A47E-AF03F0188E1A.jpeg

C00EC6B6-21D1-4848-BCCB-6796137C5E96.jpeg

Hey buddy can I ask now how it’s getting on sometime later ?? I am thinking exactly the same setup my ST80 2” modded and a mak I do a lot of sketching so would love an alt az with tracking its this or the skytee but this pups it with the tracking could we please see some more pics of these two setup perhaps ? Hard to see them together and how close they are in the pic above my friend 🙂🙂🔭🔭🔭

clear skies 

Phill

8 hours ago, Moon-Monkey said:

Hey buddy can I ask now how it’s getting on sometime later ?? I am thinking exactly the same setup my ST80 2” modded and a mak I do a lot of sketching so would love an alt az with tracking its this or the skytee but this pups it with the tracking could we please see some more pics of these two setup perhaps ? Hard to see them together and how close they are in the pic above my friend 🙂🙂🔭🔭🔭

clear skies 

Phill

Hi Phil @Moon-Monkey 

I’m a very happy customer - absolutely the same objective as you, I can now switch easily between widefield and high power view and finding it a very satisfying way to observe. I have hovered over the buy button in a Skytee so many times but hesitated as tracking is so nice to have, particularly with the Mak’s relatively narrow field.   Could not be happier with it so far.  

A couple of additional photos below’ let me know if there’s anything else you’d like to see/measure. 

627333EE-89BE-47A5-B918-CE34A184AB0A.jpeg

FA80CA6A-4A04-4143-B014-BE3C0DE8AA29.jpeg

AA53C51C-FC81-451A-B1D0-2C66EDEB96E6.jpeg

26CA397D-BE67-4109-A5B7-891E5D5FA0CF.jpeg

40CF178D-1508-4D85-860F-9EFA9CC75E01.jpeg

2136018F-6964-4489-A714-9D49233EAB9A.jpeg

• Like 7

On 29/01/2023 at 15:48, SuburbanMak said:

Just as an aside, I bought my AZ-GTi and ADM upgrade clamp from @FLO, and I was very pleased to be informed that fitting the ADM clamp didn't invalidate the mount warranty with them 🙂 👍

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Moon-Monkey said:

@SuburbanMak

hey bud Thabkyou so much for that I think this might be the ideal solution for me !!! Thanks for all the extra photos it looks perfectly spaced apart for easy viewing buddy many thanks for that I’m glad your getting on well with it 

clear skies 

You're most welcome - yes, you can move between scope's without having to shift anything with the seat. 

2 hours ago, adyj1 said:

Just as an aside, I bought my AZ-GTi and ADM upgrade clamp from @FLO, and I was very pleased to be informed that fitting the ADM clamp didn't invalidate the mount warranty with them 🙂 👍

That is good to know thank you! 

• 1 month later...
On 27/01/2023 at 12:21, cajen2 said:

Not sure if people do this or not, but would it be possible to use the L bracket to mount a small counterweight if only one scope's being used? That might make the 6kg limit for one-sided use a little higher. I realise it'd be side on in profile but I don't suppose that matters.

Er.......nobody? It might be a stupid question or an obvious answer, but I've always been a dob bloke and have no idea about mounts. I'm considering getting a frac soon and was very attracted to the GTiX.

It's a tricky one to answer without better specs from SkyWatcher (SW).

It can handle a single scope at 6kg or a total load of 10 kg as per the specs.  Whether that means if 6kg on side then up to 4kg on the other, or as I think your question is does it allow 8kg and 2kg load.

You could ask SW:

What is maximum weight on one side if two scopes used?

Does the 6kg limit still apply or can it be increased as long as both sides don't exceed 10kg (e.g 9kg & 1kg)?

The second question is deliberately weighted heavy on side side to get to them to consider the options.

On an eq mounted scope, when we balance a load with counter-weights,  the weights can be lighter than the scope but further from the balance point.  We can't do that with the AZ-GTix so much trickier to work out the equilibrium.

So, 'possibly' as a rule of them then adding double the weight over the 6kg to the other side (not exceeding 10 kg) should work. For example 7kg with 2kg weight offset.

But of course SW may clarify the limits better than our suppositions.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...
On 13/04/2023 at 15:15, Basementboy said:

Hello, coming to this a bit late – and I agree it looks like a terrific mount.

I also share the concerns about vibration. Has anyone tried to mount a longish (eg 102mm f/7 or 100mm f/7.4) refractor?

Id like know also anyone tried a longish scope? 

I have a Starfield 102 ED F/7 on mine and it seems to handle it fine. Having said that, I now use it on a Sightron manual mount instead as it's a lost less faffing about. It has slo-mo controls so I don't really miss the AZGTIX.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

This is very reassuring!  I'm giving serious consideration to the gtix to mount my st120, and thinking of searching for a used skymax mak for the others otherside.   I need to do some weighing but having gone for a bresser 2" diagonal (packaged weight given as 0.6kg) by the time I've added a decent eyepiece the st120 with red dot, rings and dovetail is going to be 5-5.4kg I think. I'll need to weigh it I guess to get the exact number. 

I don't have the mak yet and common sense,budget, and to stay well within payload capacity I think I should look at the skymax 102, but well... if I happened across a 127 bargain it would be hard to pass by.   I'm hearten to see above several setups with s120s and large mak (127?) or ... GaryR 🤪 wow!  An 8" schmidt cas?!  Although it looks like those of you with st120s have stuck with 1¼" diagonal and EP?  I see a couple of 2" visual back st80s? Paired with ...6 or 8  maks?  Hmm, it gives confidence that I could probably go for a 127 if one came along.  😛

A couple of newbie questions if I may. Looks like all of you still have finder scopes on both otas, is this just for the convenience for occasions when only one ota is in use? Do both ota need to have a finder? Or is it not worth saving the weight of the second finder?

Due shields, although the shield on my st120 seems firmly stuck it looks the same construction as the st102, and if so it should pull off.  It's a big solid bit of metal,  has anytime anyone tried replacing it with a light weight diy plastic shield?  Or is the weight actually needed to actually balance the visual back?

Lastly,  if choosing (due to weight and cost) between a mak102 with decent ep ... say a baader Hyperion,  or a mak127v and a budget (and light) ep, which would you go with,  and why?

My kitchen scales max out at about 3.5kg but using Gary's  4.2kg for his st120 with red dot, 1.25" diagonal and long eyepiece,  rings and dovetail as start, I've weighed a 1.25" and my 2" diagonal,  my 2" barlow and a Hyperion ep, and a skywatcher 25mm plossl, and a 2 to 1.25" adapter.   Adding and subtracting appropriately, including 200g estimate for my remote focuser and 20g for a baader adapter ring I forgot to weigh and I reach a fairly hefty 5.35kg.  Not surprised...but ..gulp!

A skymax 127 is....4.1kg?  I'd guess (but don't know) that includes dovetail,  finder, diagonal and a small ep.  If it does then I'd be OK, in fact my st120 plus a mak127 would have 0.5kg space.... so just enough for a Barlow or better ep... just!

Can anyone confirm the weight of a mak127 and what that includes please?

34 minutes ago, LondonNeil said:

My kitchen scales max out at about 3.5kg but using Gary's  4.2kg for his st120 with red dot, 1.25" diagonal and long eyepiece,  rings and dovetail as start, I've weighed a 1.25" and my 2" diagonal,  my 2" barlow and a Hyperion ep, and a skywatcher 25mm plossl, and a 2 to 1.25" adapter.   Adding and subtracting appropriately, including 200g estimate for my remote focuser and 20g for a baader adapter ring I forgot to weigh and I reach a fairly hefty 5.35kg.  Not surprised...but ..gulp!

A skymax 127 is....4.1kg?  I'd guess (but don't know) that includes dovetail,  finder, diagonal and a small ep.  If it does then I'd be OK, in fact my st120 plus a mak127 would have 0.5kg space.... so just enough for a Barlow or better ep... just!

Can anyone confirm the weight of a mak127 and what that includes please?

My Skymax 127 OTA is 3.2kg. It is the version with collimation screws; I believe the non-collimatible version is a little lighter.

Astro Essentials 9x50 RACI is 540g

Telrad base and body 300g (I've added bits to mine)

Revelation Astro 2" diagonal 530g (I've fitted a 2" visual back onto my Mak)

Astrozap dew shield 165g

Plus an eyepiece, say 300g for a biggish one

which comes to just over 5kg

I currently use this on my AZ-GTiX. If I mount it alone it doesn't turn very easily in Az, but adding 3kg or so on the other saddle makes it much smoother.

• Like 1