NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Your best/favourite EP?

IB20

11 hours ago, Stu said:

Perfect excuse to pop a Feathertouch on it 😉. Focuses with the 24mm Panoptic using a T2 prism (or mirror if I recall correctly). Also copes with binoviewers with a cool wedge which needs plenty of inwards focus. Tak used to do a 105mm SV tube (vs 127 or 145mm for the CB or C (nm era from memory), and this gave more info is, wish they still sold them. 

49669F77-EC32-40C7-87CE-ABA0677C99CA.jpeg

There's almost as much focuser as scope here.... nice one 😁

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, HollyHound said:

As mentioned earlier, you may find that the simple addition of a 7.5mm extension ring before the diagonal would allow sufficient focuser movement either side to allow all your eyepieces to focus 🤔

One of these? It would be good to know what to get if it happened again. I was thinking about clicklocking eventually too.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/adapters/baader-m48-extension-tube-75mm.html

Edited by IB20
Forgot link!
  • Like 1

54 minutes ago, IB20 said:

One of these? It would be good to know what to get if it happened again. I was thinking about clicklocking eventually too.

Here's my setup, which includes two 2" ClickLocks (an M56i for Takahasi end and T2 for diagonal with 1.25" ClickLock adaptor), a Baader T-2 Prism Star-Diagonal and a 15mm T2 extension ring... works for all my (current) eyepieces (XWs, Nagler 3-6 Zoom, Vixen HR) and various others I've had over the years (not sure about the Delos 14mm, that had infocus issue I recall 🤔).

Perhaps overkill, but it's my most used (grab and go) scope 😁

Hope this helps 👍

D8C8486E-94DD-4AFF-8010-185C5988A36A.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 3

I find it interesting that, unless I missed something, not a single Ethos, wonderful though they are, has yet received a mention 🤔  

I’m not rooting for the Ethos, just a little surprised given their exceptional capabilities. My favourite eyepieces for the mostly lunar and planetary observing that I do are pairs of Tak orthos in the binoviewer.  This combo outperforms anything mono I’ve used, including single current top line models like, for example,  the 10mm TV Delos and Pentax XW 5 and 7mm. For wider field mono, I have a soft spot for the 22mm Nagler - inexperienced users also seem to enjoy the views through this eyepiece I’ve found.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, JTEC said:

I find it interesting that, unless I missed something, not a single Ethos, wonderful though they are, has yet received a mention 🤔  

I’m not rooting for the Ethos, just a little surprised given their exceptional capabilities. My favourite eyepieces for the mostly lunar and planetary observing that I do are pairs of Tak orthos in the binoviewer.  This combo outperforms anything mono I’ve used, including single current top line models like, for example,  the 10mm TV Delos and Pentax XW 5 and 7mm. For wider field mono, I have a soft spot for the 22mm Nagler - inexperienced users also seem to enjoy the views through this eyepiece I’ve found.

Ethos are wonderful eyepieces, but some don't get on with the hyper wide FoV.... I've loved mine but am moving them on, as I find that my XWs and Masuyamas do everything I need across all my scopes.... so for me my favourite eyepiece would be any from this case, plus the XW 30 and 40s 😁

If asked to pick just a couple.. then the XW 5 and  7 would the ones for image quality, but the Hyperion Zoom 8-24 for sheer versatility (I have two in my binoviewer) 👍

A133DCF4-2F7D-4F01-8EC6-14B015EBAED7.jpeg

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 4

23 minutes ago, JTEC said:

Wouldn’t touch ‘em with a barge pole 😊

1F8C3B86-6FA2-4566-9472-35807481A966.thumb.jpeg.ec7e41c1c17813c1ceaef8b3be950746.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

1 hour ago, JTEC said:

I’m one of those who have had a number of Ethos but each time I end up moving them on. I think I just find them less comfortable due to shorter eye relief and I guess I enjoy seeing the field stop easily. I tend to observe on axis mainly, so the extra field of view is often wasted on me. 70 or 80 odd degrees seems to suit me best. I wish I did get the most out of the 100 degree eyepieces because they are certainly very high quality.

• Like 6

like you i have had 2 ethos eyepieces 10 and 17 mm  and both 17 and 12mm es92, s never got on with them (the es due to the weight) ,funny i still have the televue 20mm type 2 eyepiece in my cases, al naglers masterpiece its just the 82 deg field i lke

discontinued in1999, it was televues heaviest production eyepiece ever (it retailed at 545$ us then  , like you i prefer the panoptics 68 deg field , just one missing out off the set the 41mm    to lower power for my light poluted skys ,saying that got a 42 lvw

also doubled up 19mm ahd 24 in the pans like you i like to see the field stop.

• Like 1

These are my favourite eyepieces. Tak TOE 3.3 and Leica HC Plan S pair in a binoviewer. They both raise the bar in areas where I do a lot of observing - lunar, planets and solar. 
Otherwise, Delites 7 and Pentax XW 5 are superb. And I still remember views of the double cluster with Ethos 13 before I made the dubious decision to sell it.

C8B156B4-456C-42CA-B631-496378DF74FF.jpeg

4B58C340-449C-4DBE-9F76-E8314486B610.jpeg

• Like 4

On 14/10/2022 at 12:41, HollyHound said:

Here's my setup, which includes two 2" ClickLocks (an M56i for Takahasi end and T2 for diagonal with 1.25" ClickLock adaptor), a Baader T-2 Prism Star-Diagonal and a 15mm T2 extension ring... works for all my (current) eyepieces (XWs, Nagler 3-6 Zoom, Vixen HR) and various others I've had over the years (not sure about the Delos 14mm, that had infocus issue I recall 🤔).

Perhaps overkill, but it's my most used (grab and go) scope 😁

Hope this helps 👍

D8C8486E-94DD-4AFF-8010-185C5988A36A.jpeg

I have the same arrangement on the back of my refractor. Love the Baader T-2 Prism. 

• Thanks 1

My two TV DeLite's (11mm & 18.2mm) are my fav eyepieces. Desperately need a high powered one but just bought a used ES 6.7mm, hoping that will do the job. I do have an 8mm TV plossl but that is really hard work. Optically excellent but too much eye strain. The DeLite can match anything for edge to edge sharpness, epic contrast, incredibly comfortable to use and much better blackout control than a Nagler, Morpheus or even the Pentax XW. Never tried a Delos and would love to, wonder if it has all the awesome qualities of the DeLite plus extra FOV. 

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, russ said:

My two TV DeLite's (11mm & 18.2mm) are my fav eyepieces. Desperately need a high powered one but just bought a used ES 6.7mm, hoping that will do the job. I do have an 8mm TV plossl but that is really hard work. Optically excellent but too much eye strain. The DeLite can match anything for edge to edge sharpness, epic contrast, incredibly comfortable to use and much better blackout control than a Nagler, Morpheus or even the Pentax XW. Never tried a Delos and would love to, wonder if it has all the awesome qualities of the DeLite plus extra FOV. 

Answer to the Delos question is largely ‘yes’. For some reason I didn’t find the shorter Delos as comfortable as 10mm and longer, but they are all optically excellent - pretty much indistinguishable from Delites. I hear good things about the ES though - hope it meets your expectations.

• Like 2

No one asked what your 2nd favorite eyepiece is.

For me, it's the 6mm TeleVue Ethos.

It's a 100° "planetary" eyepiece.  I can watch Jupiter (at 304x) enter the field in sharp focus and stay that way across the entire field (with Paracorr, of course).

I can see a close double star stay tightly focused until it leaves the field.  And there is just about zero scattered light at all in the eyepiece.

(you can tell the planet is outside the field before it enters, but whether that's the eyepiece or the atmosphere is hard to say). 

Nearly 100% of all eyepieces fail that test anyway.  Anyone ever see an eyepiece where Jupiter outside the field edge disappears entirely and no light leaks into the field?

Plus, the exit pupil is easy to find and hold, so it is a very easy eyepiece to use.

I think the 3.7mm is just as sharp, but requires exceptional seeing to be able to tell.  The 6mm, though, is a high power workhorse for me and gets used a lot.

That more Ethos eyepieces haven't been mentioned here is probably due to the fact you guys on that side of the pond pay more for them than we do.

And pay less than we do for the APM XWAs.

Edited by Don Pensack
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

No one asked what your 2nd favorite eyepiece is.

For me, it's the 6mm TeleVue Ethos.

It's a 100° "planetary" eyepiece.  I can watch Jupiter (at 304x) enter the field in sharp focus and stay that way across the entire field (with Paracorr, of course).

I can see a close double star stay tightly focused until it leaves the field.  And there is just about zero scattered light at all in the eyepiece.

(you can tell the planet is outside the field before it enters, but whether that's the eyepiece or the atmosphere is hard to say). 

Nearly 100% of all eyepieces fail that test anyway.  Anyone ever see an eyepiece where Jupiter outside the field edge disappears entirely and no light leaks into the field?

Plus, the exit pupil is easy to find and hold, so it is a very easy eyepiece to use.

I think the 3.7mm is just as sharp, but requires exceptional seeing to be able to tell.  The 6mm, though, is a high power workhorse for me and gets used a lot.

That more Ethos eyepieces haven't been mentioned here is probably due to the fact you guys on that side of the pond pay more for them than we do.

Exactly why I went the Ethos path, Don: leisurely planetary obs at high power. I’m actually amazed that in spite of the number of lenses in the Ethos’s, they seem to be almost optically perfect.

• Like 2

51 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

For me, it's the 6mm TeleVue Ethos

Aggh... I just sold this one 😬

Never mind, I really did enjoy using it, but I'm super happy with my XW5 at this focal length... I prefer the eye relief, FoV and ergonomics in my scopes. But I can attest, the Ethos are superb eyepieces for sure 😁

51 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

That's a fact... they're super expensive, which is why most over here buy used!

Edited by HollyHound
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, HollyHound said:

Aggh... I just sold this one 😬

Never mind, I really did enjoy using it, but I'm super happy with my XW5 at this focal length... I prefer the eye relief, FoV and ergonomics in my scopes. But I can attest, the Ethos are superb eyepieces for sure 😁

That's a fact... they're super expensive, which is why most over here buy used!

I'm sure i will enjoy using it for you 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

You have said this before but it is not true. 

More difficult to source, maybe, but not more expensive. 

Steve

• Like 1

2 hours ago, FLO said:

You have said this before but it is not true. 

More difficult to source, maybe, but not more expensive. 

Steve

You made me look it up, Steve.

The 6mm Ethos mentioned earlier is $618 in the US and £669 (FLO price) in the UK.  £669 = $749.28 in USD (current exchange rate), so the price in the UK is 21.2% more expensive in the UK than in the US.

At least in the UK, Tele Vue is more expensive than in the US.

Now, the customer for an eyepiece for $618 is probably the same customer that would buy an eyepiece for £669, so, relatively speaking, the clientele would be the same.

But for the price to be the same in USD, the UK price of that eyepiece would have to be £597.32.

I did not compare every eyepiece, so there could be some exceptions, and I did not compare socioeconomic factors like a cost of living which might make the UK citizen capable of paying more than a US citizen.

I suppose that could factor in.

• Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, Don Pensack said:

I did not compare every eyepiece, so there could be some exceptions, and I did not compare socioeconomic factors like a cost of living which might make the UK citizen capable of paying more than a US citizen.

Umm, without straying too much into "political" territory.... let's just say things aren't too bright over here right now on that front 😬

Thanks for the price comparison 👍 It's almost worth picking up a set of Ethos in the US if one was over there on a long(ish) business trip for example... assuming duty doesn't get involved on the way back in🤔

1 hour ago, Don Pensack said:

The 6mm Ethos mentioned earlier is $618 in the US and £669 (FLO price) in the UK.  £669 = $749.28 in USD (current exchange rate), so the price in the UK is 21.2% more expensive in the UK than in the US.

At least in the UK, Tele Vue is more expensive than in the US.

No. It is not.

You are comparing your US price without tax with our UK price with tax

On your website you offer the eyepiece for $618 without tax

You compare it to our £669 price with tax.

If we did same as you (listed prices without tax) our price for the same eyepiece would be £557. 

At today's currency exchange-rate, £557 is $622. So a difference of only $4 (£3.58). 

If we also consider import Duty then our price is cheaper than equivalent US price. 

I know you know this ... 

Steve 

• Like 2