Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Show us your Tak

Stu

OK, to lower the tone of the discussion... :evil4:

The game we call "noughts and crosses~" the yanks call (I believe) "Tic Tak Toe"... so...

You get a nervous Tic while carrying your Tak, and drop it on your Toe...

Ouch! :grin: :evil4:

• Haha 3

8 hours ago, DaveS said:

OK, to lower the tone of the discussion... :evil4:

The game we call "noughts and crosses~" the yanks call (I believe) "Tic Tak Toe"... so...

You get a nervous Tic while carrying your Tak, and drop it on your Toe...

Ouch! :grin: :evil4:

That is why you need a handle 👍🏻🤣

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

I'm going to have to stop frequenting this forum. I've got it bad (Takitis)! @JeremyS, your descriptions of this scope have gnawed away at me for a while. A recent email exchange with @HollyHound resulted in a bad itch. I think I lasted 2 days before I couldn't resist scratching! This scope is simply gorgeous looking and by all accounts it should perform as well as it looks. @HollyHound I really hope you decide to keep yours, I would imagine it is the sort of scope one would really regret getting rid of!

Thanks to you both for putting me over the edge 🙂 My partner also encouraged me but said, in no uncertain terms, that if the itch returns I have to seek help, not visit FLO  🙂

Malcolm

IMG_20220930_095801692.thumb.jpg.c4fea52e3aa9793dc15c31627145073b.jpg

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, MalcolmM said:

I'm going to have to stop frequenting this forum. I've got it bad (Takitis)! @JeremyS, your descriptions of this scope have gnawed away at me for a while. A recent email exchange with @HollyHound resulted in a bad itch. I think I lasted 2 days before I couldn't resist scratching! This scope is simply gorgeous looking and by all accounts it should perform as well as it looks. @HollyHound I really hope you decide to keep yours, I would imagine it is the sort of scope one would really regret getting rid of!

Thanks to you both for putting me over the edge 🙂 My partner also encouraged me but said, in no uncertain terms, that if the itch returns I have to seek help, not visit FLO  🙂

Malcolm

Congratulations Malcolm. A fine scope if ever there was one.

It’s probably bad form to link to another Forum, but if you have not read the first post in this thread, you should (and I suspect you’ll read the whole thread). It’s not specifically about this scope, but summarises by high quality small scopes can be so attractive.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/633339-put-your-stars-on-a-diet/

Also have a look at what this guy does: https://www.fzu.cz/~kupco/astro/equipment/FOA60.html

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Congratulations Malcolm. A fine scope if ever there was one.

It’s probably bad form to link to another Forum, but if you have not read the first post in this thread, you should (and I suspect you’ll read the whole thread). It’s not specifically about this scope, but summarises by high quality small scopes can be so attractive.

https://www.cloudynights.com/topic/633339-put-your-stars-on-a-diet/

Also have a look at what this guy does: https://www.fzu.cz/~kupco/astro/equipment/FOA60.html

Thanks, the sketches are very impressive, in fact possibly more detail than my inexperienced eye has seen on Jupiter with a 4"

Starting to read the CN thread. I had seen another one in CN called "Takahashi FOA-60 Owners’ Feedback" but gave up when I saw it went on for over 30 pages!

Malcolm

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Thanks, the sketches are very impressive, in fact possibly more detail than my inexperienced eye has seen on Jupiter with a 4"

Starting to read the CN thread. I had seen another one in CN called "Takahashi FOA-60 Owners’ Feedback" but gave up when I saw it went on for over 30 pages!

Malcolm

I can save you a few minutes by summarising this 30+ pages for you: “probably optically  the finest telescope commercially available” 😊

Worth reading thru tho.

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, MalcolmM said:

Malcolm

Hi Malcolm,

I’m very glad to see you’ve made the decision to get this beautiful scope… it’s a genuine gem and will provide exceptional views far in excess of its nominal aperture 👍

I know we discussed this very scope and almost sold you mine, but you may have seen now that I have decided to keep mine and rather than worry about it not getting used ad often as it should, instead I will relish using it when I can for specific purposes and enjoy the views it can provide 😃

• Like 3

7 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Hi Malcolm,

I’m very glad to see you’ve made the decision to get this beautiful scope… it’s a genuine gem and will provide exceptional views far in excess of its nominal aperture 👍

I know we discussed this very scope and almost sold you mine, but you may have seen now that I have decided to keep mine and rather than worry about it not getting used ad often as it should, instead I will relish using it when I can for specific purposes and enjoy the views it can provide 😃

Very wise decision Gary 😊

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, HollyHound said:

Hi Malcolm,

I'm sure you'll not regret keeping it. I think it looks so nice I was reluctant to put a finder on it! Totally bonkers thinking I know! But I got a quick look at Jupiter last night between the clouds and the narrow field of view made it quite tricky to find (I remove the eyepiece and look directly into the diagonal). So I'll be reluctantly attaching the finder. Seeing was not great and I was literally catching 20 second glimpses between the clouds but I was struck by the contrast and sharpness straight off! Genuinely felt I was looking through a larger aperture!

Malcolm 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, JeremyS said:

Must brush up my Japanese.

Health warning (especially if you are called Malcolm or Gary) - this May seriously damage your wallet

https://www.takahashijapan.com/ct-products/new-catalog/202208_Catalog_web.pdf

That's fantastic thanks. Interesting that the LEs and Abbes are still there. I'm going to pretend I didn't see the UWs!

Malcolm 

• Haha 2

This link posted by Dan Pensack in another thread on here has a group review of 10mm wide angles including the Tak UW. It may mitigate disappointment at their (i think) non availability in the UK @MalcolmM

https://web.archive.org/web/20130829052725/http://www.cieletespace.fr:80/files/InstrumentTest/201306__6_oculaires_10mm.pdf

Cheers 

Joe

• Thanks 1