SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Hello from South West France (Dordogne)

Astrotony

Hi all 
I've been intrested in astronomy  from the age of ten, the 1969 the moon landings sparked my interest and I'm still hooked today , upto 5 year's ago I live in Nottingham under  very heavy light polluted skies  , I now live in raul France under bortle 3 and the night sky is amazing.
No telescope at the moment but will  try and post some wide angle shots of the summer sky soon 
Thanks 
Tony 
  • Like 8

Hi Tony and welcome to SGL. l live part time in the Lot not far from Prayssac so not too far from you. if you are on Facebook have a look at my friends site 'A LOT of stars'. Lots of info and some lovey Astro photo's.  

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, Marvin Jenkins said:

Hello from SWFrance too. Tarn et Garonne, not far from Lauzerte.

B3 skies in your back garden are a joy, I pinch myself sometimes to make sure I am not dreaming.

I hope you get a scope sorted in time for the nights getting longer and darker.

Marvin

We are practically neighbours lol.

• Like 1

On 30/06/2022 at 13:28, Astrotony said:
Hi all 
I've been intrested in astronomy  from the age of ten, the 1969 the moon landings sparked my interest and I'm still hooked today , upto 5 year's ago I live in Nottingham under  very heavy light polluted skies  , I now live in raul France under bortle 3 and the night sky is amazing.
No telescope at the moment but will  try and post some wide angle shots of the summer sky soon 
Thanks 
Tony 

Nice - we have bought next to Astrofarm France in the Charente, not too far north of you.  We're out there for most of August, so if you fancy booking a couple of nights for astronomy, I'm sure Sue would love to hear from you. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Greymouser said:

( Also how hard is it to move over there now, post Brexit? :grin: )

Buying property isn't difficult, but you can only stay for 90 days out of every 180 - and it's not so easy to buy stuff in UK to take out there on a permanent basis (we took our e-bikes out during the transition period in 2020; since then there's a limit of about 400 euros before you need to declare and maybe pay duty on stuff).   

8 hours ago, Gfamily said:

Buying property isn't difficult, but you can only stay for 90 days out of every 180 - and it's not so easy to buy stuff in UK to take out there on a permanent basis (we took our e-bikes out during the transition period in 2020; since then there's a limit of about 400 euros before you need to declare and maybe pay duty on stuff).   

You can get a visa of course. 6 months or 12 months but you have to come back to UK to renew. Although l dont think it is just a case of grabbing a new visa and returning. 

Hi Tony, 

Welcome. I been in Manche full time for 7 years now and for holidays 15 years before that, usually with a scope. It's Bortle 4 where I am and can be excellent with horizon to horizon Milky Way. Compared to South London it's so amazing. Second thing I did after moving and getting the house renovations started was build an observatory!  Where you are is even better. Lucky you.

Also been to AstroFarm several times, good times were had by me and my UK based mates. Sue is a great hostess.

Duncan

• Like 1

8 hours ago, dunc said:

Hi Tony, 

Welcome. I been in Manche full time for 7 years now and for holidays 15 years before that, usually with a scope. It's Bortle 4 where I am and can be excellent with horizon to horizon Milky Way. Compared to South London it's so amazing. Second thing I did after moving and getting the house renovations started was build an observatory!  Where you are is even better. Lucky you.

Also been to AstroFarm several times, good times were had by me and my UK based mates. Sue is a great hostess.

Duncan

Duncan where abouts are you in the "Cotentin peninsula" ?

• 4 weeks later...
On 02/07/2022 at 19:53, fozzybear said:

Duncan where abouts are you in the "Cotentin peninsula" ?

Hi Fozzy, Blainville-sur-Mer. Jersey is a stones throw off the beach. Where are you?