NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Astro Home Decor

Sunshine

6 hours ago, RobertI said:

It looks like it’s hoping no one will notice it!

Very weirdly, the day my scope was delivered, I assembled it at home - and my wife walked right past it without noticing it!  When I mentioned it, she took a look and said it actually looked nice, and not ugly as she was afraid it would be.  I don't comprehend how she walked by it - but anyhoo I'm still allowed to store it in our room, coming on 7 years later 😅

She has zero interest and I couldn't even convince her to take a look at the majestic rings of Saturn through it... 🙄😒

Mind you, she was all on for accompanying me to Ballinskelligs for the Star Party with the kids, and is up for it again whenever this Covid business settles 😉

Edited by niallk
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, SuburbanMak said:

Is brass ‘frac a 3 inch Clarkson?

I wish 🥴

It's a home brew creation from assorted bits and pieces I've picked up from various places. The objective is 90mm F13.3 from a modern Bresser scope.

Just looks the part 😁

• Like 1

1 hour ago, niallk said:

😂 nah, it's on the ground floor.  It's stored on a furniture moving dolly with castors from Lidl - so I just push it to the door of the house, before throwing into the car to drive to a nearby 'darker' site, away from security and street lights.

I'd  e too worried about deterioration to put it in our wooden shed.

Well that does make sense, I was beginning to imagine you as the Incredible Hulk 😀

• Haha 2

My scopes live in cupboards but, the spare bedroom has some nice astro related canvas prints- Earthrise being one of them, plus a spiral galaxy and a multi colour nebula.

It also has a Saturn V blueprint type artwork and a Lego Saturn V ornament.

• Like 1

On 14/01/2022 at 20:08, Sunshine said:

My wife doesn’t think telescopes make good home decor pieces, I disagree. Usually my things are relegated to the basement where bicycles and boxes of junk are stored but while she’s out I put my scope smack in the living room. It won’t last long but I don’t see why it doesn’t look great here! I’m hoping she will be cool with it otherwise back to the dungeon with it. Anyone have spouses who are cool with scopes in the open?  Lucky you!

49014E6C-AC1D-48B7-B048-6E17395D6F59.jpeg

Your TSA looks absolutely superb in its window setting. I think you could sell it to your better half by replacing the tripod with a solid wooden tripod that would go well with the wooden floor. Perhaps something like a walnut Gibraltar tripod. Then you really need to emphasize the classic, soon to be vintage nature of your incredible and valuable, rare as hens teeth world class refractor. 

I've always been lucky, as my wife has always understood my love of hobby and instruments, and since our first home together back in 1983, there have been scopes, tripods, books and globes around the house. She has never even hinted I relegate them to a shed, basement or observatory. She's even baked home made Apple pie for my astro buddies at 2am. And she paid for the materials so that I could build an observatory, as she didn't want me to get a chill due to winter breezes. 💖

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

Your TSA looks absolutely superb in its window setting. I think you could sell it to your better half by replacing the tripod with a solid wooden tripod that would go well with the wooden floor. Perhaps something like a walnut Gibraltar tripod. Then you really need to emphasize the classic, soon to be vintage nature of your incredible and valuable, rare as hens teeth world class refractor. 

I've always been lucky, as my wife has always understood my love of hobby and instruments, and since our first home together back in 1983, there have been scopes, tripods, books and globes around the house. She has never even hinted I relegate them to a shed, basement or observatory. She's even baked home made Apple pie for my astro buddies at 2am. And she paid for the materials so that I could build an observatory, as she didn't want me to get a chill due to winter breezes. 💖

Mike, I've got to ask, since Christine doesn't interfere with telescopes being in in the house - and you're clearly in charge at home. 

When you 'upgraded' your Tak 100DC to a Tak 100DZ, why did you swear me to secrecy, arrange for it to be delivered without her knowledge, and tell me that 'she'll never be able to tell the difference' ?  And, to this day Christine doesn't know your DC miraculously morfed into a DZ. 🙂

• Haha 9

56 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Mike, I've got to ask, since Christine doesn't interfere with telescopes being in in the house - and you're clearly in charge at home. 

When you 'upgraded' your Tak 100DC to a Tak 100DZ, why did you swear me to secrecy, arrange for it to be delivered without her knowledge, and tell me that 'she'll never be able to tell the difference' ?  And, to this day Christine doesn't know your DC miraculously morfed into a DZ. 🙂

Busted!

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, mikeDnight said:

I think you could sell it to your better half by replacing the tripod with a solid wooden tripod that would go well with the wooden floor

Now you have me looking at wood tripods, I have always wanted one and love the berlebachs though they’re not dark wood they’re such classic looking beautiful tripods.

• Haha 1

22 minutes ago, Sunshine said:

Now you have me looking at wood tripods, I have always wanted one and love the berlebachs though they’re not dark wood they’re such classic looking beautiful tripods.

Ahem……Berlebach does them in dark colours if you want. 🙂

FFC49B45-A844-4DC2-AB18-7B9F00E230E8.png

Edited by johninderby
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, paulastro said:

I knew I could rely on you Paul to maintain absolute secrecy. In fact come to think of it, Chrissy only ever suspects I'm up to mischief when you're around. I wonder why that might be? And yet she still baked apple pie for you. :icon_scratch:

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Ahem……Berlebach does them in dark colours if you want. 🙂

FFC49B45-A844-4DC2-AB18-7B9F00E230E8.png

Oh boy, this is too much for my heart, this may just cost me another credit card bill drubbing by my better half.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, mikeDnight said:

I knew I could rely on you Paul to maintain absolute secrecy. In fact come to think of it, Chrissy only ever suspects I'm up to mischief when you're around. I wonder why that might be? And yet she still baked apple pie for you. :icon_scratch:

Mike, you only asked me not to tell Chrissy, you didn't mention anyone else, so I've been true to my word 😊.

Actually you are right, Chrissy doesn't trust me.  Usually, the first thing she says to me when I come round is 'what are you selling him now' .

But I agree with you, she's a lovely lady, you're a lucky chap. 🙂

• Haha 2

24 minutes ago, paulastro said:

Mike, you only asked me not to tell Chrissy, you didn't mention anyone else, so I've been true to my word 😊.

Actually you are right, Chrissy doesn't trust me.  Usually, the first thing she says to me when I come round is 'what are you selling him now' .

But I agree with you, she's a lovely lady, you're a lucky chap. 🙂

When my wife Marianne walks past me while I’m on the computer and sees an Astro related page on the screen she never fails to say “oh no what are you buying now?” 😂

Edited by Sunshine
  • Haha 2

On 20/01/2022 at 00:01, Sunshine said:

When my wife Marianne walks past me while I’m on the computer and sees an Astro related page on the screen she never fails to say “oh no what are you buying now?” 😂

I play in a band and being caught looking at the Thomann website has Mrs Cropper ssying the same thing!

• Haha 1