Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Astro Home Decor

Sunshine

My wife doesn’t think telescopes make good home decor pieces, I disagree. Usually my things are relegated to the basement where bicycles and boxes of junk are stored but while she’s out I put my scope smack in the living room. It won’t last long but I don’t see why it doesn’t look great here! I’m hoping she will be cool with it otherwise back to the dungeon with it. Anyone have spouses who are cool with scopes in the open?  Lucky you!

49014E6C-AC1D-48B7-B048-6E17395D6F59.jpeg

• Like 14
  • Haha 1

My dob sleeps in the shed to make it easier for me to get in and out ,but my wife let's me keep my other set up in the spare bedroom just aswell all our family are still in the UK, don't get many family or friends coming to Ireland for a holiday.  I think it's great walking past and looking at it as it's not getting much use outside 508839401_20211229_1512262.thumb.jpg.af49b4252f19374aa3a6471423ffa3de.jpg

• Like 7

22 minutes ago, Dave scutt said:

My dob sleeps in the shed to make it easier for me to get in and out ,but my wife let's me keep my other set up in the spare bedroom just aswell all our family are still in the UK, don't get many family or friends coming to Ireland for a holiday.  I think it's great walking past and looking at it as it's not getting much use outside 508839401_20211229_1512262.thumb.jpg.af49b4252f19374aa3a6471423ffa3de.jpg

Looks wonderful right where it is!

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Sunshine said:

My wife doesn’t think telescopes make good home decor pieces, I disagree. Usually my things are relegated to the basement where bicycles and boxes of junk are stored but while she’s out I put my scope smack in the living room. It won’t last long but I don’t see why it doesn’t look great here! I’m hoping she will be cool with it otherwise back to the dungeon with it. Anyone have spouses who are cool with scopes in the open?  Lucky you!

I think it looks superb - such a simple, elegant, classic design - it’s a piece of art. I recently bought my EAA rig into my ‘study’ from the garage so that I could work on it in the warmth, and I have actually grown rather fond of it in the corner while I work. A refractor would look nicer though - I’ll see what I can do. Fortunately my wife is very supportive of my strange astronomical activities. 🙂

D5562ADB-F47B-4CE0-A265-D11E0A9CF3D0.thumb.jpeg.d837e8832de76a76c7c7a38b32ce1187.jpeg

• Like 6

There's a little something on top of the bookcase.....

I think that rig looks great, but I'm biased. Does your wife have a sister? 😆

Oh, and you have the same mini-ottoman as me. Good place to keep astro odds and ends and a surprisingly comfortable stool!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

23 minutes ago, RobertI said:

I think it looks superb - such a simple, elegant, classic design - it’s a piece of art. I recently bought my EAA rig into my ‘study’ from the garage so that I could work on it in the warmth, and I have actually grown rather fond of it in the corner while I work. A refractor would look nicer though - I’ll see what I can do. Fortunately my wife is very supportive of my strange astronomical activities. 🙂

D5562ADB-F47B-4CE0-A265-D11E0A9CF3D0.thumb.jpeg.d837e8832de76a76c7c7a38b32ce1187.jpeg

You see! look how nice that looks there, great that your wife is cool with it as mine came home and I’m hearing some squealing about my scope being there.😂

• Haha 2

9 hours ago, cajen2 said:

There's a little something on top of the bookcase.....

I think that rig looks great, but I'm biased. Does your wife have a sister? 😆

Oh, and you have the same mini-ottoman as me. Good place to keep astro odds and ends and a surprisingly comfortable stool!

LOL, yes I find it useful to have the Jim Beam ....... nearby!

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Sunshine said:

You see! look how nice that looks there, great that your wife is cool with it as mine came home and I’m hearing some squealing about my scope being there.😂

Conveniently, with my hearing not being as good as it once was, I can no longer hear high pitched squealing! 😄

• Haha 3

15 minutes ago, Debo said:

I'm lucky to have some free space around the house to keep these scopes hanging around.

Courtesy of my lovely understanding wife  😇

Indoorscopes.jpg

Oh I love that! reminds me of my visit to the Galileo museum in Florence.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Sunshine said:

Some telescopes are more beautiful than others - if that was in my living room I would never look at the television!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This is the best I can manage, in the corner of my office.

Mrs Stu would say that’s rubbish 🤣. My kit tends to gradually accumulate in the living room as I use it and leave it out to dry off, and eventually reaches a stage where it is taking over so she says ‘enough’ and I clear it away, and the process starts all over again 🤣

79207D26-29E1-432C-BDA6-43471377C3C7.jpeg

• Like 4

7 minutes ago, Stu said:

My kit tends to gradually accumulate in the living room as I use it and leave it out to dry off, and eventually reaches a stage where it is taking over

Entropy is inescapable, even with astro kit...

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Debo said:

I'm lucky to have some free space around the house to keep these scopes hanging around.

Indoorscopes.jpg

There’s nothing as handsome as a long white refractor pointing skywards. 👍

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, Stu said:

This is the best I can manage, in the corner of my office.

Mrs Stu would say that’s rubbish 🤣. My kit tends to gradually accumulate in the living room as I use it and leave it out to dry off, and eventually reaches a stage where it is taking over so she says ‘enough’ and I clear it away, and the process starts all over again 🤣

79207D26-29E1-432C-BDA6-43471377C3C7.jpeg

Is your refractor in disgrace Stu? You have put it in the corner facing the wall! 😁

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, banjaxed said:

If your bedroom is upstairs it must be a bit of a struggle to get it downstairs 🤔

😂 nah, it's on the ground floor.  It's stored on a furniture moving dolly with castors from Lidl - so I just push it to the door of the house, before throwing into the car to drive to a nearby 'darker' site, away from security and street lights.

I'd  e too worried about deterioration to put it in our wooden shed.

Edited by niallk
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Is your refractor in disgrace Stu? You have put it in the corner facing the wall! 😁

Oops, it does look a bit that way, doesn’t it?  Will sort that out, though I may be swapping things around a bit.

3 hours ago, Debo said:

Indoorscopes.jpg

Is brass ‘frac a 3 inch Clarkson? Very interested in the mount, mine currently resides on modern rings. 

• Like 1