Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skywatcher AZ GTI mount owners thread

AstroNebulee

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your response and good to have it confirmed about the ed80. I have been looking at a SW EQM-35 or maybe HEQ-5 but I am in no rush as I have never done any photography before. I bought the ASI120 to try out planetary so I will stick to that with the AZ-GTi for now. I have an old ext70 with a missing hand controller that I am going to de-fork, so I might mount that on the AZ in EQ mode just to play around with and try my hand at AP.

I really like your rig, the tripod really does make it look much sturdier alright. 

Thanks again.

John

• Like 1

7 hours ago, AstroNebulee said:

Hi

Your ED80 will be to much really for the az gti in eq mode, along with the length aswell as the weight.  The 127 mak would be ok but with the focal length with the zwo 120 attached wouldn't be worth it for dso imaging. Best stick to az mode for the 127 and do planetary and lunar imaging with your zwo120. 

I don't think you include the cw when working out the payload capacity of the mount. 

Though I happily run a sw 72ed with zwo asi294mc pro for imaging, zwo asi120mc-s and guidescope, with asiair pro for imaging. This is slightly over the 5kg but I can guide at around 0.7 rms. All on a sw 1.75inch steel tripod as this makes it much studier. 

Lee 

IMG_20220823_175924.jpg

Was admiring your setup and got the most minor and daftest of questions please! The bolt that holds your AZ-GTi onto the black dovetail, what size and style is that? And where did you get it from?

Background being I've got an AZ-GTi currently running in AZ mode on the steel tripod with extension pillar - same as yourself. I've bought the bits to try EQ now. A WO wedge, WO dovetail (looks fairly similar to your black dovetail) and a counterweight and bar. However, of all the things to be stumped on, struggling on being certain about what very shallow fixing bolt to go through the dovetail to the 3/8" socket on the mount. 🙃

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Soupir94 said:

Hi Lee,

Thanks for your response and good to have it confirmed about the ed80. I have been looking at a SW EQM-35 or maybe HEQ-5 but I am in no rush as I have never done any photography before. I bought the ASI120 to try out planetary so I will stick to that with the AZ-GTi for now. I have an old ext70 with a missing hand controller that I am going to de-fork, so I might mount that on the AZ in EQ mode just to play around with and try my hand at AP.

I really like your rig, the tripod really does make it look much sturdier alright. 

Thanks again.

John

Yes it's a good idea to play around with what you have first before you fall down the imaging rabbit hole. I started out with a dslr in az mode on my AzGti and had some very pleasing results. 

The 1.75inch steel tripod really is a must for serious imaging with the AzGti in EQ mode, but as before I dud use the supplied black tripod unextended for a few years and served me well. The steel one though really cuts down vibration and wind buffeting and helps guiding. 

The 2 mounts your suggested were the ones I was looking at too. 

Lee

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Jules Tohpipi said:

Was admiring your setup and got the most minor and daftest of questions please! The bolt that holds your AZ-GTi onto the black dovetail, what size and style is that? And where did you get it from?

Background being I've got an AZ-GTi currently running in AZ mode on the steel tripod with extension pillar - same as yourself. I've bought the bits to try EQ now. A WO wedge, WO dovetail (looks fairly similar to your black dovetail) and a counterweight and bar. However, of all the things to be stumped on, struggling on being certain about what very shallow fixing bolt to go through the dovetail to the 3/8" socket on the mount. 🙃

Thank you. I think I used a 3/8inch adapter screwed into the AzGti mount, then a countersunk Allen bolt as in the photo. I'll try to search it out in my box of bits. The 3/8 bolt didn't go through the dovetail bar slot. 

I did use some black hockey stick tape on the black dovetail bar and now the sticky residue has inadvertently leached onto the back of the AzGti and a rock solid fixing to both AzGti and dovetail bar. A blessing in disguise. 

Edit.. I found the bolt I used it measures 25mm from end to end and about 6mm across. I believe the adapter is a 3/8 inch to 1/4 tripod ball head adapter and it fits the bolt as shown. 

Lee 

IMG_20231008_165631.jpg

IMG_20231008_171515.jpg

IMG_20231008_171408.jpg

IMG_20231008_172106.jpg

16967822021484973754152165292412.jpg

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Jules Tohpipi said:

Thank you Lee that's incredibly helpful - especially with the photos :)

I've got some 3/8" adapters lying around already. So I'll double check the slot width on the WO dovetail bar and can now go from there.

No problems Jules. If not I have pm you if you wanted me to send you a spare bolt and adapter I have here. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Thanks 1

If you are using 1 star alignment after selecting I just use goto and the mount slews there and sidereal tacking turns on by default (caveat. mount is level, tube is level and pointing north)

Point and track is where you might be randomly pointing somewhere and want the mount to track from there

Edited by happy-kat
  • Like 2

Feeling encouraged by the many great seestar50 images that I'll enjoy using the 50ED with the ASI462MC I've got and I was fortunate to pick up a used CLS filter on here some time ago which I'll have a go with as a LP filter on some targets.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Well, just got back from 2 weeks in Cornwall, for the most part weather was awful. I did get to use my scope a couple of times, and was happy with the quality of seeing compared to the Bortle 5 area I'm in. I've decided to sell my scope, mount and eyepieces to fund a larger aperture scope (that would be too big for the AZ-GTi). I take it that most people here have sold stuff, and some their AZ-GTi mounts, what would be the best way to sell it please, altogether as a job lot or separately, and is eBay my best bet? Thanks.

• Sad 1

9 hours ago, AndyM001 said:

Well, just got back from 2 weeks in Cornwall, for the most part weather was awful. I did get to use my scope a couple of times, and was happy with the quality of seeing compared to the Bortle 5 area I'm in. I've decided to sell my scope, mount and eyepieces to fund a larger aperture scope (that would be too big for the AZ-GTi). I take it that most people here have sold stuff, and some their AZ-GTi mounts, what would be the best way to sell it please, altogether as a job lot or separately, and is eBay my best bet? Thanks.

That's not great the weather was rubbish down here it has been very poor for a long time with only one full clear night in early October. 

Try selling your set up on here in the classifieds or astro buy & sell is your best chance. 

What set up are you looking to get once you can. 

Lee 

Edited by AstroNebulee
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

That's not great the weather was rubbish down here it has been very poor for a long time with only one full clear night in early October. 

Try selling your set up on here in the classifieds or astro buy & sell is your best chance. 

Lee 

Okay, thanks Lee, wasn't aware that there was a classified section on here, I know I won't get anywhere near what I paid for it, but I need the money to fund the new one. I am currently looking at the StarSense Explorer 8" Dobsonian, I've read some good reviews on the StarSense Explorer system, and I will need a little help finding objects.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AstroNebulee said:

Lee 

Ah, looks like I need 50 posts to view / buy from the classifieds, and 250 posts to actually sell. I'll look at eBay, hopefully I'll get a reasonable price.

8 minutes ago, AndyM001 said:

Ah, looks like I need 50 posts to view / buy from the classifieds, and 250 posts to actually sell. I'll look at eBay, hopefully I'll get a reasonable price.

Look at astro buy & sell website, possible to sell there. 

18 minutes ago, AndyM001 said:

Okay, thanks Lee, wasn't aware that there was a classified section on here, I know I won't get anywhere near what I paid for it, but I need the money to fund the new one. I am currently looking at the StarSense Explorer 8" Dobsonian, I've read some good reviews on the StarSense Explorer system, and I will need a little help finding objects.

Nice scope indeed 

Lee

• Like 1

I've been reading through this thread gradually (not there yet!) but it's convinced me to get an AZ Gti.  Found a good deal on eBay (I know, I know) with some extra accessories and the seller has been absolutely fabulous and very helpful with some advice, etc.

I've got a Celestron C5 and a Heritage 100P.  I'm being long-loaned an Altair Hypercam 183C Pro soon (belongs to my Dad) and I'm going to see what I can get going with Astroberry (wish me luck!) and I'm really excited to learn and grow with this setup.  I have a Star Adventurer and going to use its wedge for this but the lack of Goto makes things really difficult for me because I don't get much of a chance to get out and observe or photograph, so actually finding the objects I want to look at is difficult.

I'm hugely excited to give this a go.  I'll start with some basic planetary most likely (Jupiter is in a great place from my garden) just to get used to it and then see what I can do.  Having a Heritage 100P and a C5 theoretically gives me a decent range of optics to get a decent range of targets - but I know it's not as simple as that and I have a lot to learn.

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Like 3

9 hours ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

I've been reading through this thread gradually (not there yet!) but it's convinced me to get an AZ Gti.  Found a good deal on eBay (I know, I know) with some extra accessories and the seller has been absolutely fabulous and very helpful with some advice, etc.

I've got a Celestron C5 and a Heritage 100P.  I'm being long-loaned an Altair Hypercam 183C Pro soon (belongs to my Dad) and I'm going to see what I can get going with Astroberry (wish me luck!) and I'm really excited to learn and grow with this setup.  I have a Star Adventurer and going to use its wedge for this but the lack of Goto makes things really difficult for me because I don't get much of a chance to get out and observe or photograph, so actually finding the objects I want to look at is difficult.

I'm hugely excited to give this a go.  I'll start with some basic planetary most likely (Jupiter is in a great place from my garden) just to get used to it and then see what I can do.  Having a Heritage 100P and a C5 theoretically gives me a decent range of optics to get a decent range of targets - but I know it's not as simple as that and I have a lot to learn.

Good luck when you get your AzGti. I love the mount so much I have two. One in EQ mode and one for alt az observing, lunar and planetary imaging. Keep us updated on here with how you get on. Any any advice needed just ask. Even if you dont use the sw wedge there's wealth of fun in alt az astrophotography with the AzGti to get you started. 

Have fun and clear skies. 

Lee 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took the AZ-GTi out tonight for the first time for about an hour.  Kept it simple.  AA batteries, Alt-Az, visual with the C5 and a 20mm WO 'Swan' eyepiece connected to my iPhone via WiFi. 

As seeing wasn't great and it was threatening to cloud over, I just tried out the single-star alignment to get a rough idea - especially since my red dot mount decided to fall apart just as I was getting the telescope out (fortunately I had a spare) and had to quickly align that too and wasted ten minutes!

The mount thought it was oriented differently to begin with but soon corrected itself when it built its map after a couple of attempts.  The single-star alignment isn't exactly brililant (I aligned it with Jupiter to start with) but it got me close enough for a good look at M31 - it was just in the FOV without much fuss.  M81 proved a different story, so I re-aligned it with Polaris and it was better but despite the marginal seeing I got M81 pretty quickly after I'd re-aligned.

Tried the 3-star alignment but chose Merak as my third star.  Which is just slightly obscured by my office roof.  I could see it standing up, officer!  Gave up with that, aligned with Jupiter again and stared at it for about 15 minutes.

There are a fair few things to do.  I've upgraded my Raspberry Pi to a Raspberry Pi 4 B+ with 8GB of RAM and have Astroberry running perfectly on there.  Next, I need to get the right cable to connect it directly to the mount (a bit of advice would be appreciated here, happy to get a genuine EQMOD cable if it's the right thing?) and my Dad is posting his spare Altair Hypercam 183C Pro.  I also need to get proper power to the mount.  I have an old-style Celestron Powertank with a 12v cigarette lighter adapter but I'll need to double-check the polarity before I inevitably fry the mainboard of the AZ-GTi.

So:

- Get the AZ-GTi talking to the Raspberry Pi.
- Get the Hypercam 183C Pro talking to the Raspberry Pi.
- Figure out how to do the polar alignment with the camera.
- Get this all working in the dark, outside, probably in marginal conditions.
- Remember where I left my Bhatinov Mask.
- Spend hours faffing around with little success.
- ???
- Profit.

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus

Considering you're getting a few things together I'd recommend setting up during the day and making sure it all works, you can also setup your backspacing a little bit and focus on a far off object and refine it at night.

Regarding cable, I've always used an EQDIR cable for the azgti (note for this mount only as it uses a smaller RJ12 connection compared to other Skywatcher mounts), EQMOD cables I believe also work. Mine was a Lynx Astro one from FLO.

With the rpi, I assume you're using astroberry. You have to setup an equipment profile (LHS menu bar) and specify all your equipment and save the profile, so when you select it it loads all the required drivers. Polar alignment you do in PHD2 (I never like this routine), and everything else you control from EKOS which is contained within Kstars.

• Thanks 1

On 05/11/2023 at 23:31, Elp said:

Considering you're getting a few things together I'd recommend setting up during the day and making sure it all works, you can also setup your backspacing a little bit and focus on a far off object and refine it at night.

Regarding cable, I've always used an EQDIR cable for the azgti (note for this mount only as it uses a smaller RJ12 connection compared to other Skywatcher mounts), EQMOD cables I believe also work. Mine was a Lynx Astro one from FLO.

With the rpi, I assume you're using astroberry. You have to setup an equipment profile (LHS menu bar) and specify all your equipment and save the profile, so when you select it it loads all the required drivers. Polar alignment you do in PHD2 (I never like this routine), and everything else you control from EKOS which is contained within Kstars.

I got the Altair Hypercam 183C Pro in the post today (thanks, Dad!) and have been fiddling around with everything.  I did get the correct cable from FLO (ordered it on Monday evening, arrived on Tuesday morning) and set up the Astroberry with the equipment profile for the AZ-GTI using the EQMOD options.  Managed to get GOTO working over WiFi with EKOS.

I've also managed to get the Altair camera working in Astroberry in EKOS and taking previews, so that looks good.  Now when I next get a decent sky I'm going to try for the PHD2 for the polar alignment.

I must admit, so far it's going OK and it's not quite as technically challenging as I was dreading.  A few things in my favour though, i) I work in IT (specifically for an MSP) so fiddling around with stuff like this is a large part of my day job and it's fairly natural to me and ii) I've been playing around with Linux ond and off since 2006, so some of the foibles of the various utility software on Astroberry is largely familiar.  No doubt my confidence will come crashing down when it all first meets contact with the enemy but this is all quite good fun so far!

• Like 2

It was clear yesterday and got to set up.

The plus points my landscape in stellarium whilst not perfect but helped a lot. The home assembled mount base worked great. Connecting everything in the right order worked. Did 1 star alignment so no bending or looking through a finder and used ASICAP on a mobile to just check focus. Switched to the 10m USB and now on the PC. Sharpcap Pro plate solving the new feature worked great and sync to the mount. Tried guiding which worked but was very poor graph but likely more me then the mount was first go and I forgot to select a middle star as was in altaz though I was using just single star. The only less successful bits were user error so I've updated my check list for next try but I did get good tracking 30 seconds with no trailing unless pixel peeping. Made me realise the SS50 is rather slick at what it does.

• Like 3