Narrowband

IMX533 MONO Chip Released By SONY.

Adam J

So looks like we will very likely be getting a mono version of the ASI533MC Pro in the not to distant future as a mono IMX533 sensor has now appeared in SONY's CMOS sensor catalogue. 

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/products/common/pdf/IMX533CLK_Flyer_ver10.pdf

https://www.sony-semicon.co.jp/e/products/IS/industry/product.html

I predicted its release over a year back in this thread and nailed it totally as the end of 2021 when people told me there was no use case for such a sensor. 

Apart from being a little smug about being proven right I am also very happy about this as I was hoping for this sensor as when it turns up in an astronomy camera I will be making a purchase for use in my second rig. #

:)

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 5

Yeah, something we've been waiting for. My problem (And it's only muy problem) is that the 533 sensor is now too small for my needs. Pity, as it looks a good sensor.

Before anyone asks, my ideal would be something like 6000 x 6000 4 micron pixels for a 24 mm square sensor. This would allow even binning 2x2 or 3x3 for 8 or 12 micron pixels. Pity nobody's likely to make it.

3 hours ago, DaveS said:

Yeah, something we've been waiting for. My problem (And it's only muy problem) is that the 533 sensor is now too small for my needs. Pity, as it looks a good sensor.

Before anyone asks, my ideal would be something like 6000 x 6000 4 micron pixels for a 24 mm square sensor. This would allow even binning 2x2 or 3x3 for 8 or 12 micron pixels. Pity nobody's likely to make it.

I can only respond by saying that the size of sensor required is a function of your focal length and the size of the object you are imaging not just the size of the sensor. 

For example during galaxy season I can drop a fare amount of FOV and still image my target and some more even on a relatively long focal length scope saving a large amount of storage space. 

At the opposite end of that equation I have the ASKAR 180 and most targets will fit on the 533 sensor at that focal length on my mobile rig. 

I could also use a hyperstar at F2 without vignetting 1.25inch filters of worrying about my image corners. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J

On my ODK12 the camera I currently use fits my purposes well, while I have a 268M to go on the130 apo, once it's been repaired. It might be of use on the 180mm f/3.4 Leitz apo I have but don't use it often enough to swap out the ASI 183 I currently have.

These days storage is cheap. All my remote PCs have 500GB SSDs for local storage, plus 16 TB of NAS for main store.

In any case, I'm not spending any more serious money on astro for the foreseeable.

Yeah, I think logically, since all CMOS sensors are mono to begin with, why would the availability of mono sensors not continue?  Such suggestion in the other thread was preposterous and wide off the mark.

Props to @Adam J for standing up to logic when that nonsense was suggested originally.  I was surprised some "expert" got so many people to agree with him.

Edited by licho52

• 4 weeks later...

May be an image of text

QHY just anounced this a IMX533 avaliable in mono and OSC, ZWO are making noises about a new camera being released, although not as specific in saying so i think it will be a mono 533.

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 6

This is somewhat related to this thread, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any idea why this is so:

I don't see uncooled camera version with either 533 color nor mono.

These sensors are supposed to be amp glow free and have very uniform and low dark current - that is ideal case for non cooled camera - yet we don't see them?

Anyone has any idea why? @Adam J ?

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

This is somewhat related to this thread, but I wanted to ask if anyone has any idea why this is so:

These sensors are supposed to be amp glow free and have very uniform and low dark current - that is ideal case for non cooled camera - yet we don't see them?

I had exactly the same thought and asked ZWO that question about a year back. The response is that they have no such plans. They say the 533 can't achieve high frame rates unless you crop it allot for planetary and even then it's not great. For DSO they say they recommend cooling. But I agree with you for short exposures on fast optics it makes sense and for mobile imaging with lower weight and power requirements. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 3

17 minutes ago, vlaiv said:

This is a good starter for ten though thermal noise is very low anyway. That’s all I have…..EFBC7467-D2F0-4DBE-84AB-0BCC72DF2691.png.b45457468372b1020f59bff939eb1662.png

4 minutes ago, Adam J said:

I had exactly the same thought and asked ZWO that question about a year back. The response is that they have no such plans. They say the 533 can't achieve high frame rates unless you crop it allot for planetary and even then it's not great. For DSO they say they recommend cooling. But I agree with you for short exposures on fast optics it makes sense and for mobile imaging with lower weight and power requirements. 

Adam

Agreed and I guess if one can live with the extra weight nothing says you have to cool it when mobile in the field. 

Anyone tried the colour version uncooled?

• Like 2

On 23/12/2021 at 03:09, nfotis said:

Quite intriguing.

It remains to be seen what features and price will be attained. I guess that they will position the new camera a bit below the IMX492?

N.F.

It had better be less than the 492 based cameras or what's the point. 

From past experience, does anyone roughly know the timing between the release of a new sensor and the release of a new camera using said sensor? Are we talking half a year to a full year, or maybe longer? 

I’m not sure how relevant this is but looking on the net if I have this correct, the IMX571 sensor came out in Sept 2018, and the first Astro cameras were available around Feb 2020 so around 18 months if the commercial drive is there.

I think it depends on how the new sensor fits into existing cameras. If the new mono version of the 533 chip is similar to the color version, which is reasonable to assume, it should be straightforward for camera makers to replace the chip in existing 533 color models. In fact, I see posts both here and on CN claiming that both ZWO and QHY have announced that they will make the mono version available. Im unable to find the actual announcements, though?