Jump to content

NLC-Banner.thumb.jpg.acb5ba835b9e8bf0718b90539633017d.jpg

IMX533 MONO Chip Released By SONY.


Adam J
 Share

Recommended Posts

On 23/03/2022 at 14:51, SteveNickolls said:

And the price is....

Still waiting for the big two (ZWO and QHY) to release prices, I guess that they are waiting for each other, in order to compete on price.

N.F.

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, SteveNickolls said:

He, he and as long as we don't then blink at their prices. 😲

Cheers,
Steve

Well they cant get away with making it more expensive than the ASI1600mm pro or even close to the ASI294mm pro as those are bigger sensors. So they are stuck really as its going to be bracketed between the ASI183mm pro and the ASI1600mm pro is its going to make any sense at all. 

Adam

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Well, give or take, there's less than a £100 difference between the 294MC and the 533MC so why not the same difference between the mono versions which would make it about £1300? If you look at the 183/294 price relationship the ratio holds out......

 

Scrub the 183/294 I got myself mixed up but as for the rest that's ok

Edited by scotty38
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, scotty38 said:

so why not the same difference between the mono versions which would make it about £1300?

Aye, I've been saving up hard recently for this mono-version of the 533 model but that figure will not make me an early adopter I'm afraid.

Finger's crossed. 🤞

Cheers,
Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Aye, I've been saving up hard recently for this mono-version of the 533 model but that figure will not make me an early adopter I'm afraid.

Finger's crossed. 🤞

Cheers,
Steve

If ZWO keep to the pattern of sales, then it may be available at a discount in November and December (assuming it's out by then!) 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, SteveNickolls said:

Aye, I've been saving up hard recently for this mono-version of the 533 model but that figure will not make me an early adopter I'm afraid.

Finger's crossed. 🤞

Cheers,
Steve

The QHY version will more than likely be a couple of hundred cheaper at a guess.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Rising Cam to the rescue again?

Hmm, perhaps not enough savings on relatively modest camera such as the 533. I rather value FLO's after service more than a small saving before VAT and Import Duty.

Cheers,

Steve

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, scotty38 said:

Well, give or take, there's less than a £100 difference between the 294MC and the 533MC so why not the same difference between the mono versions which would make it about £1300? If you look at the 183/294 price relationship the ratio holds out......

 

Scrub the 183/294 I got myself mixed up but as for the rest that's ok

Honestly I have no idea why the delta between the mono version of the 294 and OSC is so large. If it's £1300 that would be a hard sell for me. The fact is that sensor size matters allot still and for me it's not sufficiently superior to the 1600 to make up for the size difference. It would also suffer the same problem that the 1600 has Vs the 294mono i.e. it makes no sense to not get the 294 mono for a little more as it's twice the area of the 533 and significantly more sensitive than the 1600. For me a price as high as £1300 places it in no man's land in terms of value for money. If it's not cheaper than the 1600 I'll not be buying one. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, ONIKKINEN said:

Rising Cam to the rescue again?

Be interesting to see if they lowball ZWO and QHY prices like with the IMX571 cameras.

My interpretation of Risingcam is that they are pricing in accordance with the sensors actual cost as opposed to how they think it should fit within a product line up. Hence the IMC571 OSC is cheap because the actual sensor is not that expensive in relative terms. On that basis the 533 mono is not likely to be an expensive sensor for Sony to make and so its possible you are correct and it won't be much more than their version of the IMX183. However as a ASI1600mm pro owner I place value in having the ability to switch out the camera plug and play between my scopes without having to change spacing etc along with the camera. 

Adam

Edited by Adam J
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Hmm, perhaps not enough savings on relatively modest camera such as the 533. I rather value FLO's after service more than a small saving before VAT and Import Duty.

Cheers,

Steve

VAT and import duty….what are those, never had them and have bought lots of Astro stuff from china recently….😉

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, scotty38 said:

👍

Guessing they've used the wrong Y-axis scale on the Dark Current as the number listed near -20 doesn't match the axis but does match the 533MC-Pro.  The Y-axis scale provided looks more like the 294MM.

533MM graph (at time of writing)

image.png.53f2b2757b0042e140f681d021a98dc7.png

533MC

image.png.24b1bbb70d4d17d1dba4e63d37f2ea05.png

Edited by geeklee
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 06/04/2022 at 11:22, geeklee said:

Guessing they've used the wrong Y-axis scale on the Dark Current as the number listed near -20 doesn't match the axis but does match the 533MC-Pro.  The Y-axis scale provided looks more like the 294MM.

Graph now updated by ZWO for dark current.  Looks like the expected numbers now.

image.png.6865a608c495d4b2440875339a84513e.png

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, nfotis said:

Not a bad price, the delta from the 294MM is quite significant.

Maybe this is the preorder pricing?

I suppose that we shall see the equivalent QHY prices in May as they reach their dealers...

N.F.

 

This to me looks like aggressive ZWO pricing and feels like the price point that QHY would have ordinarily been at, all things being equal. It will be interesting to see if QHY can actually get under this by the usual amount, if they can it will make their version almost a "cheap" camera.....

As you say, the delta from 294mm is significant so I think ZWO have changed their game here and decided to play in the lower priced game. Interesting to see the reactions 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
On 09/04/2022 at 09:13, scotty38 said:

This to me looks like aggressive ZWO pricing and feels like the price point that QHY would have ordinarily been at, all things being equal. It will be interesting to see if QHY can actually get under this by the usual amount, if they can it will make their version almost a "cheap" camera.....

As you say, the delta from 294mm is significant so I think ZWO have changed their game here and decided to play in the lower priced game. Interesting to see the reactions 

I don't see it that way. It's less aggressive pricing than it being just how it has to be placed withing the product lineup the 533 is undoubtedly a cheaper chip to make than the 294 but even accounting for that it's just not possible for the 533 to start to infringe on the price point of the larger sensor products if they did that it simply would not sell. They also need a product at the low cost end of the market that enables the use of cheaper 1.25 inch filters even at fast F-ratio and the 533 I'd that product. The 533 is not supposed to compete with the larger chips and it can't compete with them so it would just be daft to price it in at over 1.1k 

Edited by Adam J
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.