Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

IMX533 MONO Chip Released By SONY.

Adam J

2 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Wondering if this would be much of an upgrade from my Atik 460? 🤔

Short exposures to counter British weather, no darks required, built in USB hub. I’d say so. I have a 460EX so may consider this at some stage. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Wondering if this would be much of an upgrade from my Atik 460? 🤔

This is an obvious one for one replacement for the Atik 460EX, you would likely see more advantages in terms of much shorter narrow band exposures and slightly higher QE. It shares properties of the 460EX such as no darks being required due to low numbers of hot pixels and no amp glow, its a very clean sensor. 

But having said all this the delta in terms of real word image quality, while noticeable is not going to be mind blowing. 

Adam

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, Adam J said:

This is an obvious one for one replacement for the Atik 460EX, you would likely see more advantages in terms of much shorter narrow band exposures and slightly higher QE. It shares properties of the 460EX such as no darks being required due to low numbers of hot pixels and no amp glow, its a very clean sensor. 

But having said all this the delta in terms of real word image quality, while noticeable is not going to be mind blowing. 

Adam

Yes I'm inclined to think the same. I currently do 5 min LRGB and 10 min narrow subs on the Esprit and so far looks OK. I wouldn't mind 5 min narrowbands though and the lower read noise and better cooling. Hmm..🤔

22 hours ago, david_taurus83 said:

Yes I'm inclined to think the same. I currently do 5 min LRGB and 10 min narrow subs on the Esprit and so far looks OK. I wouldn't mind 5 min narrowbands though and the lower read noise and better cooling. Hmm..🤔

I would actually think that if you are doing 10mins now it might be as low as 2 mins with the 533 depending on gain and F-ratio of your scope. 

Adam

• 11 months later...
5 hours ago, SteveNickolls said:

Thanks for the 'heads up' on this product. Certainly keep it in mind if I aspire to a dual 533 rig.

Cheers,
Steve

I am tempted, as the price is quite competitive, but the cost of filters, filter wheel, etc makes me hesitate

(I calculated that a ZWO set of 36mm filters and filter wheel and an EAF will mean an expenditure of 1300+ dollars, before VAT and transport costs...)

That would mean a plunge into the monochrome world would set me back at least two thousand EUR...

N.F.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, The Admiral said:

Surely 2" filters would be adequate. That's what I use with my ASI533.

Ian

You mean 1.25" I suppose?

Yes, but I would want to use these with an IMX571 or similar sensor in the future, so 36mm filters would be a requirement for me.

N.F.

On 18/04/2023 at 09:20, The Admiral said:

Ignore me @nfotis, I did mean 2", I'm getting muddled about filter sizes!

Ian 

Um, 36mm filters are smaller (and cheaper) than the 2" filters (which are overkill for the IMX533)

N.F.

• Like 1