Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

What did you see tonight?

Ags

First Clear night in 3 weeks here on SE Wisconsin, Started on compiling a book of easy Deep Sky objects for beginners for our binocular loan program at the planetarium, Verifying the easy ones M42 NGC1981 Col70 M45 M44 Mel 20  and (a bit more challenging) M41 M35.We'll be adding more as the seasons roll by. The binoculars we have in the kits are 12x25 (5.2) degree FOV. we wanted use easy objects for instant gratification and positive re-enforcement. We are looking for anything 4th mag or brighter and big enough to standout in the FOV. I am using Cartes du Ciel to create star hopping charts.  The sky around here is getting a bit light polluted so need big bright objects within the grasp of our binoculars. I could just barely dig out a couple of 7th mag stars in Mel20 with my 10x50's

• Like 9

Just in after an unexpected clear sky when I got home, Jupiter first, I counted three festoons at the lower part of the NEB into the equatorial region. The GRS was prominent just of centre with a few cyclones following in it's wake. The SSTB had a darker band below and preceeding the GRS, grayish in colour. 

As Jupiter got misty I looked at M45 and took a two min image testing my new AA26C camera.  

Misted over while looking at M45 and eventually clouded over by 20.30UT so called it a night but nice. 

Added a pic skysafari to give a visual idea of the view. 

Added the image of M42 I got on Thursday, now processed.

Screenshot_20240201_230924_SkySafari 7 Pro.jpg

M42-20240130NigellaBryant-3.thumb.png.b96ffa9bd1647b57e1c750425447f69b~4.png

Edited by Nigella Bryant
Pic added
  • Like 11

There's a lot of misty high cloud here, but it was the first chance I've had to try out the Bresser Dob since I had the mirror off - first light was abandoned because the images were badly distorted into triangular patterns, so afterwards I slackened off the mirror clips.

The good news is that it's improved, but defocusing still shows an irregular pattern, with a hint of a triangular nature, so it's possibly still pinched. I'll have another stab when I get chance.

Interestingly, I could still see more detail in Jupiter's bands tonight than I've ever seen in my other scopes, even with the impairment.

• Like 15

A clear night last night, but temperatures were hovering around 33° most of the night, so hot and sweaty conditions, with hoards of mosquitoes!

I observed Jupiter and Uranus with my 10 inch dob, seeing not the best due to the shimmering hot air. Uranus close by a faint field star. 

Shortly after I put the dob back in the house, succumbing to the sweltering conditions. I whipped out my 5x25 VisionKing binos to observe the Head of Hydra then retreated back to the airconditioning inside. I hate "wasting" a clear night, but it's hard to observe when you have sweat constantly dripping on your eyepieces 😄

Clear Skies

Joe

• Like 12
  • Haha 2

It’s quite breezy out but my forecast is completely wrong and I’ve had a good few hours of clear skies so have set up the 125mm SL.

Checked out the usual suspects but had a thought to try out the Astronomik UHC filter as it has barely been used. Twinned with the 17.6mm Morpheus, I pointed the scope towards M42 and was flabbergasted at the improvement in what I usually see. Long elongated wings stretching against jet black skies and some dark tendrils reaching through the bright nebulosity, features I’ve never seen in my skies before.

Wow, stunning, the best I’ve ever seen it and the conditions aren’t particularly great. This scope is proving to be lots of fun and quite brilliant. Had always read about the improvements filters made but has experienced it until now. 

• Like 16

All the forecasts were for cloud this evening, but I popped my head out of the window at 7pm and saw stars.

So, just time for "first light, part three" - not a Rambo sequel, nor a season finale for Star Trek:TNG, but another attempt to get a decent star test on my new Dob.

Earlier today I had taken the primary cell off again, and slackened off the mirror clips a second time. In fact, I undid each one until I could rattle the mirror under it, then tightened it just until it couldn't move. The 10" Bresser has a nine-point mirror support, so I also checked the screws there. Then re-collimation, of course, which I'm not 100% sure about, but looked OK.

I found Jupiter first, and it looked good. Then the cloud appeared. I just managed to switch to a brightish star and defocus. This time, the pattern was symmetrical and round, with no hint of the triangular aberration I saw on the previous two occasions. It was still mushy and boiling a lot, but probably still cooling down, and I couldn't really assess the seeing either. So, I'm happy not to tinker again until I've had a decent session with it.

• Like 15

I was lucky too with the clouds, it was clear for two whole hours, 7pm to 9pm. Had a brief view of a shadow transit of Ganymede. Very distinct dark dot near the south pole. The wind was shaking the tube of my 102ED so  x120 was difficult. Transparency was decent, M42 was showing its 'wings'. Had a brief look at Keid 40 Eridani. The B/C pair were easy to spot near the orange primary but I could not separate the white and the red dwarf from each other. Finally I just cruised the open  clusters of Auriga and Gemini. A very windy but satisfying grab and go session.

• Like 9

It wasn't looking too promising earlier but I had a quick ten minutes with my 70ED.  Didn't see much but was trying out a new eyepiece - which I will find a use for, probably for Solar projections or limilar later in the year.  It's a 40mm Plossl.  Need to learn how to use it properly as it's got incredibly long eye relief.  Switched back to my usual 20mm WO Swan for the rest of my viewing.

Went out at about 9PM and it was absolutely clear with decent seeing.  Took out the 70ED and had a scan through the Milky Way.  Then got my C5 out (just because) but it was 'grainy' and disappointing.  On reflection, this is probably a function of it not cooling enough as the collimation is fine but I haven't been getting good views from it lately - but I have just been 'grabbing' it out and whacking it on the mount so I'll leave it outside for an hour next time.

Thought I'd get the 'other' scope out, which is a Heritage 100p, just for a comparison.  Really quite decent, with a nice 'snap' focus.  Better than I expected.

Finally decided to actually settle down and stop messing about and put the 70ED with my 20mm back on the mount.  Found M81/M82 and had one of the best low-power views I've ever had of the famous duo.  Absolutely breathtaking and they were really clear and obvious.  The duo is probably my favourite view and gets me every time but it's the first time I've seen it through my refractor and the contrast and clarity was beautiful.  Something inexplicably magical.

Unfortunately for my future bank balance, I think I'm slowly turning into a 'refractor guy'.  Oh dear.

To get a little bit personal here, I've struggled with depression and anxiety since I was ten (that's 25 years now) and my brain is a constant churn of thoughts - most of which are unhelpful.  I done a lot of things to try and 'calm' my brain, like reading articles, watching videos, etc. and seeking professional assistance.  The only thing that truly 'clears' my brain is observing.  It's the only time my inner monologue stops and even ten minutes can make a terrible day into a better day.  I crave it.  But there you are.

Edited by GrumpiusMaximus
  • Like 15
  • Thanks 1

Just now, GrumpiusMaximus said:

Unfortunately for my future bank balance, I think I'm slowly turning into a 'refractor guy'.  Oh dear.

It’s fine, honestly! I went from an 8” dob to a 3” refractor, then a 4” and now a 5” (now own 6 scopes 😅). Expensive but very enjoyable, I’m in heaven with my new 125mm and they all have their strengths. 

Also massively agree with the health benefits of observing;  similar to my experiences. Glad to hear you have something that helps. 👍🏻

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, GrumpiusMaximus said:

It wasn't looking too promising earlier but I had a quick ten minutes with my 70ED.  Didn't see much but was trying out a new eyepiece - which I will find a use for, probably for Solar projections or limilar later in the year.  It's a 40mm Plossl.  Need to learn how to use it properly as it's got incredibly long eye relief.  Switched back to my usual 20mm WO Swan for the rest of my viewing.

Went out at about 9PM and it was absolutely clear with decent seeing.  Took out the 70ED and had a scan through the Milky Way.  Then got my C5 out (just because) but it was 'grainy' and disappointing.  On reflection, this is probably a function of it not cooling enough as the collimation is fine but I haven't been getting good views from it lately - but I have just been 'grabbing' it out and whacking it on the mount so I'll leave it outside for an hour next time.

Thought I'd get the 'other' scope out, which is a Heritage 100p, just for a comparison.  Really quite decent, with a nice 'snap' focus.  Better than I expected.

Finally decided to actually settle down and stop messing about and put the 70ED with my 20mm back on the mount.  Found M81/M82 and had one of the best low-power views I've ever had of the famous duo.  Absolutely breathtaking and they were really clear and obvious.  The duo is probably my favourite view and gets me every time but it's the first time I've seen it through my refractor and the contrast and clarity was beautiful.  Something inexplicably magical.

To get a little bit personal here, I've struggled with depression and anxiety since I was ten (that's 25 years now) and my brain is a constant churn of thoughts - most of which are unhelpful.  I done a lot of things to try and 'calm' my brain, like reading articles, watching videos, etc. and seeking professional assistance.  The only thing that truly 'clears' my brain is observing.  It's the only time my inner monologue stops and even ten minutes can make a terrible day into a better day.  I crave it.  But there you are.

Astronomical observing is the best therapy in my opinion. I'm glad that it is helping you out 👍

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SwiMatt said:

Why do I still bother setting up when I see a clear patch of sky? I know it will get cloudy by the time I get out :clouds1:

It's been truly shocking over here the last few days.  As thick a cloud as I can remember!

• Sad 3

Ok, I know most of the astronomers on here can't see this but let me describe my observing session in Carina last night. This is an incredibly rich southern constellation which contains some real heavy hitters! Last night I observed:

1. NGC 2516 "The Diamond Cluster"

Rich and bright open cluster, visible naked eye even from my bortle 6 backyard. Also know as the running man. Beautiful.

2. NGC 3114

Another bright and audacious open cluster, many 6th magnitude stars arranged in a whirlpool shape.

3. NGC 3372 " Eta Carina Nebula"

A wonderful bright nebula. A massive dark lane cuts right across it. It is studded with several bright open clusters and the star Eta Carinae lies almost at its centre. Eta Carinae itself is surrounded by an outburst of vivid orange gas known as the Homunculus Nebula. The whole region is stunning visually.

4. NGC 3293 " Gem Cluster"

A beautiful, small and compact open cluster, bright. Red and yellow stars at its centre surrounded by a swarm of blue white stars. 

5. NGC 3532 " The Football Cluster"

Also known as the Wishing Well cluster. Think M7 on steroids! This is a very bright, naked eye open cluster, very rich. The finest open cluster in the entire night sky in my opinion.

I hope my brief descriptions help you visualise these objects in your minds eye, same as I do when you guys describe the northern showpiece objects that can't be seen from here ( such as the Double Cluster)

Clear Skies

Joe

• Like 20

1 hour ago, Epick Crom said:

Ok, I know most of the astronomers on here can't see this but let me describe my observing session in Carina last night. This is an incredibly rich southern constellation which contains some real heavy hitters! Last night I observed:

1. NGC 2516 "The Diamond Cluster"

Rich and bright open cluster, visible naked eye even from my bortle 6 backyard. Also know as the running man. Beautiful.

2. NGC 3114

Another bright and audacious open cluster, many 6th magnitude stars arranged in a whirlpool shape.

3. NGC 3372 " Eta Carina Nebula"

A wonderful bright nebula. A massive dark lane cuts right across it. It is studded with several bright open clusters and the star Eta Carinae lies almost at its centre. Eta Carinae itself is surrounded by an outburst of vivid orange gas known as the Homunculus Nebula. The whole region is stunning visually.

4. NGC 3293 " Gem Cluster"

A beautiful, small and compact open cluster, bright. Red and yellow stars at its centre surrounded by a swarm of blue white stars. 

5. NGC 3532 " The Football Cluster"

Also known as the Wishing Well cluster. Think M7 on steroids! This is a very bright, naked eye open cluster, very rich. The finest open cluster in the entire night sky in my opinion.

I hope my brief descriptions help you visualise these objects in your minds eye, same as I do when you guys describe the northern showpiece objects that can't be seen from here ( such as the Double Cluster)

Clear Skies

Joe

Thats a lovely report Joe. I do hope to get down to southern skies again in the not too distant future. Your reports act as further motivation for such a trip 😁

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

There was a lot of cloud to cloud lightning early last night, but skies had cleared by 0300 today, so I took out my ST102.

I wanted to have a look at Delta Corvi (double), but it was already behind the trees by the time I was set up and awake.  

Swung over to Lyra.  Couldn't split Epsilon 1, but Epsilon 2 was in and out with a 2X Barlowed 4mm.  I don't know if that's a scope limitation or if it was sky conditions.

Spent a good deal of time admiring Ste 1 / Delta Lyr cluster.  I keep notes on my phone and transfer them to a Word file, but I was thinking I should sketch that cluster sometime.  Main star was showing a nice orange tint.

Then a little time on Sheliak and Sulafat before calling it a night.  The Ring was pretty visible even without a filter, but I didn't spend any time on it.

• Like 7

Just has a short session with binoculars tonight. After the rain the milky way really stood out. As the transparency was excellent. I was only using the 12x42s but all the winyer brighter clusters were visible. 

Out of all the Messier clusters I observed M35/36/37/38/44/45  the one I enjoyed viewing the most was M35. I think it was because it was just beginning to resolve into stars from a misty patch.

Cheers

Ian

• Like 10

The promised clear patch I’d hoped for based on the Met Office Cloud Cover map earlier today didn’t really materialise but come 11 o’clock there was at least the odd star peeking through so I popped out to get first light on the new to me Tak FS60Q. 

It came with a FT 2inch focuser which I’ve decided is probably better deployed on my FC100 DC, keeping the the FS60Q as a lightweight setup with its original blue Tak casting. I’ll run it in FS60 CB f5.9 mode without the 1.7x Q extender alongside its big brother but tonight took it out alone in its f10, 600mm form, an easy one handed carry on an AZGTi & Manfrotto 55. 

Few stars were penetrating the cloud but I was able to pick out Capella above the roofline and cycle through some eyepieces to check I could achieve focus - 32mm Plossl, 18mm &10mm BCO and SV Bony 3-8mm zoom all well within the focus range and from 10mm onward showing nice even rings either side of focus.  I aligned the finder & as I was doing so, just for a few seconds the mists parted to reveal a gorgeous field of background stars, crisp and against an inky background, superb! 
 By tracking this cloud gap across the sky I was able to pick up Castor & in the 18mm BCO (33x) this was a lovely sight, splitting perfectly. I looked at this with the 10mm and cycled through the focal lengths with the 3-8mm zoom, watching the gap between Castor’s components widen with every click. Sadly that was all the clear sky I was allowed, stepping back from the eyepiece I could no longer detect any stars naked eye - hung around for a bit but the cloud was unbroken. 

So, finder aligned, focus checked and a tantalising glimpse of great views to come! This little ‘scope is going to be a doubles monster and looks to be exactly the gem I hoped for. 

EF2B1260-9946-4FC1-B3D0-D72A5A00A491.thumb.jpeg.82b832f52a241cee895393af80dd78cd.jpeg

Edited by SuburbanMak
  • Like 12

Out tonight for a first test of the FC100DC + Feathertouch alongside the FS60 in f5.9 mode for widefield.  
I spent the afternoon rigging up the AZGTIX with its L bracket & aligning both scopes to point at the same spot - very enjoyable configuration of scientific instruments, or as the lovely Kathy describes it “faffing about”… 

Happy to say it all works, I have two scopes & finder all pointing at the same spot. I can achieve focus with all my eyepieces and have been especially pleased with the performance of the Stella Lyra 30mm UFF and the Baader Hyperion Zoom in the 100mm and the 12.5mm Morpheus in the FS60. 

Didn’t really have an observing plan and early on was hopping between cloud bands, but along the way I enjoyed some super views of Orion sword are, the trap showing the E&F stars at 185x  in the FC100 with the SVBony zoom. 
Split Alnitak, Rigel and Sigma Orionis along the way. 

Jupiter showing some good detail with one of the moons just popping out of its transit then sitting close by the planet, two globes of vastly contrasting size. 

• Like 12

Apart from a quick look at Jupiter and Uranus, it was mostly open clusters for me.      M48 was quite nice to look at, shame it was rather low down amongst the murk.

• Like 6

A couple of the guys at our club gave a good talk on fracs on Friday night- and it was just the inspiration I needed to get my 127l out, and remind myself what an excellent scope it is. Started off on Jupiter and had some lovely detail despite the iffy conditions, then slid across to Orion trying various EPs from 8-35mm on m42. Really appreciated the nice sharp stars, and didn't think the nebulosity was too much dimmer than my 200p newt. Then jumped up to the Pleiades- at 35x it was a terrific view, lovely crisp stars and clear enough to catch a good bit of reflection. 

Really ought to get it out more often!

• Like 9

Just in from a short late session with the 105/650. It was interesting to see the star views going from pretty rubbish to, er, refractor-like as the triplet cooled.

I had to do M42 first before it became too low, Trapezium E was hinted at but no F in amongst a wobbly cluster. Jupiter was an atmospherically-dispersed red-blue mess. Then Rigel, Meissa, Alnitak, Sigma Orionis all getting better and better as time went on. Meissa especially nice. Mostly at 144x with the Delos 4.5. I swung around to Cor Caroli and Mizar/Alcor. I widened out to the Ethos 13 (50x) and found M51 two clear bright cores with obvious nebulosity. I took in M1 Crab too.

Finished off with the Nagler 31 (21x) for M45 and the Double Cluster.

Glad I went out, lovely sky when I headed in, I measured 21.92 😳

Magnus

Edited by Captain Scarlet
  • Like 11