Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ75 - Stu’s thoughts

Stu

I thought I would post up separately to Alan so we don’t trip over each other 🤪.

I too was delighted to receive an AZ75 this morning, and on unpacking it I was equally surprised and delighted to see just how compact it is. Somehow it seems smaller than the ‘75’ tag, but to me that’s a very good thing. It still feels extremely solid, well engineered and just plain ‘nuggety’ in the same way the AZ100 does, just that bit smaller and lighter.

Carrying out the Uni-28/AZ75 was so much easier than the Planet/AZ100, as you would expect but it becomes much more of a grab and go setup.

I love the design of the new Vixen clamps on it, beautifully profiled to match the round Alt Axis.

I thought I would set up a couple of scopes to show it in context, so I popped the Genesis and Vixen FL102S on it, my two lovely vintage 4” scopes.

I’ll leave you with some pictures for now, and save further thoughts for another time, save for the fact that it is very pleasing to see that ‘Stu’s knob’ has made it onto this product too 🤣

F5EF61C4-9EF4-4E91-BD7A-6819DFD12597.jpeg

75019E3F-04A2-4094-9CB4-04147D01C144.jpeg

FFE335D0-94F3-4974-8EAA-29381387B74B.jpeg

60125057-C131-4244-94D4-6A11A1FECF66.jpeg

594EA28C-96FC-429A-820A-EFFB56574615.jpeg

DEC96008-024E-4BA6-B75A-51FB9FCB36E9.jpeg

20511EB0-2A7C-43DC-9251-39AAA240AA9B.jpeg

A7849B56-DD9B-48EB-BE59-41E80FE01618.jpeg

CEE868DE-6E67-47F8-A907-A4EB1FAB2C3A.jpeg

35F563C4-8F0A-49FC-81EE-359E83DBED02.jpeg

97B09707-5C96-4B17-A6B7-B3F95241BA05.jpeg

• Like 19
  • Thanks 1

That spin test sent shivers down my spine … I was fearing that it was actually unscrewing from the mount with everything about to collapse! Thankfully not! 😀

Seriously though does it have eq-5 or eq-6 style attachment? Your two tripods both look to be eq-6.

Also if you can remember back to your AYOii days it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison (I have an AYOii)

V nice, Magnus

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Captain Magenta said:

That spin test sent shivers down my spine … I was fearing that it was actually unscrewing from the mount with everything about to collapse! Thankfully not! 😀

😱😱 now that’s got me having horrid thoughts! Fortunately it was clamped down well and the bearings are very free. I was spinning it in the direction to tighten too. Just to add, my tripod has spiked feet which were well dug into the grass so it was very stable, no chance of tipping.

Seriously though does it have eq-5 or eq-6 style attachment? Your two tripods both look to be eq-6.

Basically it has a flat bottom, then there are four protruding Allen bolts which, as I understand it, you can put in different holes to match either an EQ5 or EQ6 mount. I’m sure one of use will post a pic up of it soon. Mine tripods are both EQ6 tops and it fits perfectly.

Also if you can remember back to your AYOii days it would be interesting to hear your thoughts on the comparison (I have an AYOii)

I prefer the Rowan mounts I must say. They just feel freer and smoother to my mind, and I prefer the finish, clamps and adjustments. Pretty much everything actually. I suspect also they are capable of higher production, shorter wait times and better availability. I had to wait a long time for my AYODigi II.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

47 minutes ago, Alien 13 said:

Nice, unfortunately the video does not play for me just get a "cannot be found" message.

Alan

Shame. It’s a .mov file from my iPhone, that might be the problem.

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Yes the vid works and I’m now feeling a bit dizzy. 😁

Now an AZ50 would go nicely with an AZ100. 😁

Actually the 75 is different enough I think to complement a 100.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Shame. It’s a .mov file from my iPhone, that might be the problem.

It claims to play on my win. laptop (running firefox browser with all manner of ad. blockers) but I get no visuals, just some nice relaxing bird song ... 🙂

Heather

• Haha 1

To be honest the Rowan A75 is better looking than my Giro Ercole and if those ports stay on the final version I can easily see it as an upgrade.

Can they be encouraged to release in the UK for six months first. Give us some bragging rights. The A75 looks like hot property and no doubt will sell well worldwide. I'll lay a bet that Rowan will struggle to meet demand once word gets out. They should stick a Union Flag on it their certainly doing themselves proud.

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 3

33 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

It claims to play on my win. laptop (running firefox browser with all manner of ad. blockers) but I get no visuals, just some nice relaxing bird song ... 🙂

Heather

Odd, all I get is the voice of Steve Jobs's ghost, saying "go out and buy Apple kit"

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

I get the impression given the vixen saddles, that the AZ75 will not have the LZOS 130/F6 on it?

The Losmandy and dual format clamps from the AZ100 fit the AZ75, so I will be able to try the LZOS on it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, StarryEyed said:

To be honest the Rowan A75 is better looking than my Giro Ercole and if those ports stay on the final version I can easily see it as an upgrade.

It’s a definitely a step up from the Ercole. There is no slack in the Alt axis at all and the motion stays smooth even when unbalanced horizontally ie only one scope on without a counterweight. The motion, clutches, clamps and overall quality are all superior. The Ercole is obviously a lot less expensive so in a different category to a degree.

What do you mean by ports? The mount will have optional encoders if that’s what you mean, I’ll be testing them out as soon as I get the chance.

1 minute ago, JeremyS said:

Looks great. But no Slo-Mos??? 🤔

That's a shame.

When I posted some info on another new alt-az mount a while back in a similar price bracket the lack of slow motion controls seemed an important factor for many who commented.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

This is fantastic, thanks for the thread.  I can see that I'm going to "need" a new telescope, one matched perfectly in size to this mount. 

A new Rowan mount is so important that it makes me reverse the usual order of purchases.

*edit - no slo-mo controls...that's a deal breaker for me*

Edited by mtminnesota

I bought the AZ100 over other mounts due to slo-mo controls. Now I'e have the mount, and it's really smooth I'm wondering if I really need them.
Have said that once the clouds part and i'm tracking the planets I will need the slow mo controls.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Heather

You can save it to your PC by right-clicking anywhere in the area the video should be displayed, and selecting "save audio as".  It will save as the normal video file Stu uploaded.

• Thanks 3

31 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Disapointed to hear about the lack of slo-mo but still seems like a lovely mount. Think the lack of slo-mo will have an effect on customers choosing the AZ75 or AZ100.

As I've mentioned in Alan's thread, I have only recently invested in an AZ100, but was concerned that maybe I should have had a bit more patience, but the lack of slow-mo controls has convinced me that I made the correct choice of mount for me as I have never really gelled with the Ercole or EZTouch mounts that I've owned.

11 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I bought the AZ100 over other mounts due to slo-mo controls. Now I'e have the mount, and it's really smooth I'm wondering if I really need them.
Have said that once the clouds part and i'm tracking the planets I will need the slow mo controls.

Like @Deadlake I got the AZ100 because of the slow-mo controls and am very happy with my choice.  It is a bit too heavy for me to take out and about with me, and so is semi-permanently mounted on a Tri-Pier in the garden instead.  

I'm still looking forward to hearing Stu's and Alan's thoughts in the AZ75 though.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

Like @Deadlake I got the AZ100 because of the slow-mo controls and am very happy with my choice.  It is a bit too heavy for me to take out and about with me, and so is semi-permanently mounted on a Tri-Pier in the garden instead.  

I think that’s one key difference between the mounts, the AZ100 is a big beastie and more likely to be used at a home location. The AZ75 is much smaller and lighter and so is much more suitable as a grab and go. I presume the decision not to include slo mod came down to balancing size and weight vs functionality. I’ve mentioned earlier that the AZ75 was a much easy lift that the AZ100; single handed lift even on the Uni-28, so it is all a question of what suits

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

I find slo-mos are absolutely critical for solar Ha observing, when you need to constantly manipulate the view to pick out best detail. Great that AZ75 can be used with push-to controls, and of course it looks superb, but would need slo-mos to make me consider replacing my Skytee

• Like 3