NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Rowan AZ75 Mount

Alan White

On 20/10/2021 at 21:33, Alan White said:

Does that sit straight on the Vixen Tripod or do you have an adapter in use?
Just pondering that with the AZ75 as a very grab and go set up.

No. With an AZ100 I used the Rowan EQ5 adaptor and a Vixen one to get from 45mm to 60mm spigot. However an AZ75 would I think go straight on, but you might need a slightly longer tripod screw for safety. The Vixen tripod is good for it's weight but just slightly 'under' with the AZ100 as shown, surprising as it works with an EQ mount of comparable weight (SXD2), so it might work fine with a counterbalance on the AZ100. Pretty sure it would be good with AZ75 as I had a similar weight DS 2b twin mount AZ on it in the past as my grab and go..

• Like 2

On 21/10/2021 at 14:50, Tiny Clanger said:

Scone (pronounced in whatever local language gets understood in the cafe ) needs butter , it's the indisputable first layer to seal and level the crumbly stuff, above that the true controversy starts. I've heard heretical suggestions that the clotted cream can be seen as a butter substitute, and I deplore that thought.

If you're ever in Devon, keep going. It's for your own safety. ;)

• Haha 4
  • Confused 1

Just now, johninderby said:

Keep going and you’ll soon be in Cornwall where they do things “differently” and will welcome you with open arms. 😁😁😁

I had no trouble in Cornwall when walking the Southwest Coast path, fuelling my rucsac carrying , long distance walk with cream teas at every opportunity 🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, johninderby said:

Keep going and you’ll soon be in Cornwall where they do things “differently” and will welcome you with open arms. 😁😁😁

Keep going and you'll soon be back in Devon. :)

12 hours ago, Tiny Clanger said:

I had no trouble in Cornwall when walking the Southwest Coast path, fuelling my rucsac carrying , long distance walk with cream teas at every opportunity 🙂

Hopefully using a map smaller than the one held out at the start of the walk. The one with the upside down cover... ;)

11 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

1645199_c4788566.jpg

This is at the start of the walk in Minehead. The map cover is upside down if a normally folder map.

Given that I didn't start in Minehead, and I doubt it was there anyway back in the 1980s , it's not surprising I failed to understand.

1 hour ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Given that I didn't start in Minehead, and I doubt it was there anyway back in the 1980s , it's not surprising I failed to understand.

Fair enough. It will be a slightly different path now. Property development and large areas of erosion. :(

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Concordia000 said:

Hmm, due to some change of circumstances (I might get a bigger scope…) the AZ75 might actually be something I want to get.

Still though. I want it pink🤪

Any shade of Pink available with a slight Black Colour bias 😉 perhaps mistaken for Black by some

Coming late to this discussion .. sorry!  
I’ve had an AYO II for many years now and it’s served me extremely well up until now, however the AZ75 ticks a number of boxes which I regard as shortcomings with the AYO :-
1) the AYOs don’t have an alt lock (Stu’s knob?) which makes changing heavy eyepieces worrisome, and …

2) the load capacity appears to sit somewhere between the AYO II and AYO Digi II which for me hits a sweet spot.   Currently I’m using a 123mm refractor on the AYO with an all up weight of 10Kg which is really at the limit of the AYO ii’s capacity.  

3) the AYO II requires  an add-on module inserted in the vertical part of the “T” to incorporate the azimuth encoder and the additional module is secured by tiny hex bolts, which has never seemed a very robust engineering solution to me.  

4) I believe only the larger AYO’s provide any means of attaching a bracket for a DSC device such as a Nexus II or DSC, which means you have to resort to devising something for yourself.  Annoying ….

So, I think the lads have done an excellent job of researching the competition here and you can count me in for a new AZ75 when available.   Any one want a (much) used AYO II ?

p.s., personally I’m not bothered with slow motion knobs provided there’s a decent panning handle.

Edited by Alma
  • Like 6

• 2 months later...

After a long radio silence from me, I can report that the AZ75 testing continues with me using varying scopes.

The weather as we all in the UK know, has been attrocious and it has stopped play for a chunk of time.
I also had heating issues in December that made me less inclinded to go out and get cold as I could not warm up as easily after,
the arthritic knees give me hell enough as they are.

Anyway, January has gone well and testing is now back on track,
I have also now started using a binoviewer, so that's in the mix as well.

All is going well and enjoying the testing and of course being outside under the stars with the local wildlife.

A few tweaks have taken place, making things even more smooth and enjoyable, each one improves the AZ75,
which is not, I repeat not a diamond in the rough to start with,
so some changes are final polish type changes, all making the mount shine further.

I have fedback my latest testing findings to Rowan this weekend and we are exchanging e-mails on this now.
Please be patient, it's all for the good here and brilliant to have astronomer feedback with the designers and makers of this bit of kit.

So a short, all is good update.

Edited by Alan White
typos, typos, typos
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

A lot are waiting eagerly for tne AZ75 release bit when released by Rowan it will be spot on. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Not being well for a couple of weeks has stopped any testing of the AZ100 motors, not to mention the bloomin weather, but will be getting back to testing in the next few days. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, johninderby said:

A lot are waiting eagerly for tne AZ75 release bit when released by Rowan it will be spot on. 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

Not being well for a couple of weeks has stopped any testing of the AZ100 motors, not to mention the bloomin weather, but will be getting back to testing in the next few days. 🙂

Swift recovery  John, wish you well.

Yes, all this exciting kit is much awaited.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

On Wednesday a parcel containing the final test AZ75 was delivered to me.
Of course it has arrived with rain and cloud and I have had some serious disrtactions this week as well.

I hope to post my own pictures and feedback on this soon, weather and life willing.

All I can say is it's the same altered dimensions etc. as on @Stu report / thread, he has been lucky enough to have had time
and clear skies to picture and use it, looks great and look forward to doing th same with my one.

Watch this space......

• Like 5

Well life has been more generous today and I have had 20 minutes to unpack andd put the AZ75 on a trpiod again.
Its very slightly taller than the earlier test unit and has a second saddle now that fits my scopes, the earlier test one was not a final design, so being able to test 2 scopes was not workable for me with ease, it now is and very nice with two scopes fitted.

Here are some images of first set up and also with a solar and non solar scope fitted together.
All very nice, just needs some clear sky and away we go testing again, oh and some free time as well.

It really is feeling like a finished mount now, not a test unit in anyway at all, so clearly barring any unforseen issues,
which I doubt we will find (but you never know), then it may be very close to being something that Rowan will make the launch call on.
IMG_3899.thumb.JPG.cdff9f2d15b25b1d0ddbf09469fbd3d6.JPG

IMG_3897.thumb.JPG.00f300eba95f11ea2c417f0dc83111ff.JPG

IMG_3901.thumb.JPG.e83842acb1200735ab11f50e5e1699e3.JPGIMG_3902.thumb.JPG.4395f98a9b20a084d2690af861963c44.JPG

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1