Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ75 Mount

Alan White

I do apologise for my last post, but to be honest I stand by the sentiment. There is a different set of criteria being applied to this mount, and people who have been quite happy with Dobs or totally manual mounts and saying slow motions are not essential are now judging this mount very differently.

It is what it is, buy it or don’t buy it, I really don’t mind. To me obsessing over slow motions misses the point of the mount totally.

Now please, let’s focus on what the mount is and not what it is not.

5FDB07EC-6392-47A9-BFB0-E2190084D8CA.png

5A32220A-5984-4870-A929-BEE810456E8D.png

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John said:

Being told how we must and must not think about a new product ???? :rolleyes2:

Not at all John and you know that full well. The point has been made, and repeated, and repeated ad nauseam. It is also inconsistent with previous positions held so the vehemence of the argument is a little odd.

These threads are about the testing of prototype mounts to iron out minor issues they may have. The design is not going to change fundamentally so repeating the same thing over and over again is pointless. The feedback has been heard, end of. Now let’s focus on the things that may need to be adjusted on this mount and that can be changed.

If you are not interested in the mount because it doesn’t have slow motion controls then I get that, but please let others who may have constructive input have a chance to do so, if they haven’t all got bored by now. There are some good things which can be changed on the back of our testing feedback which I think will really improve the useability of the mount, so I think it has been worth it despite all this.

Thanks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alan White said:

I cannot say yet John, as I have an 800mm FL scope in use presently.
Is that wide field? If so, then I best stop observing Planets with it, its only f7.8 after all 😉
If I can find a big long refractor, then indeed I will try one out.

I have a Celestron Omni 120 I can test on it. It’s about the same weight as an ED120 I think and a bit longer - f8.3 vs f7.5. That should show what an ED120 would be like.

• Like 2

18 hours ago, John said:

Being told how we must and must not think about a new product ???? :rolleyes2:

I wonder why John was not sent a set of this new mount to test. He is my favourite reviewer and I know he only uses Alt Azimuth mounts. John is also a pleasant reviewer whom I trust on his healthy, balanced judgement. I have based my eyepiece and mount purchases based on what he uses for his own observations. I have read many times his suggestion to manufacturers to come up with a mid range altazimuth mount to sit between Skytee 2 and more expensive ones. 

I think Rowan brothers have missed an opportunity here to communicate properly with potential customers of their new product. That is just my opinion and I hope their new mount sells well.

Edited by Dippy

17 minutes ago, Dippy said:

I wonder why John was not sent a set of this new mount to test. He is my favourite reviewer and I know he only uses Alt Azimuth mounts. John is also a pleasant reviewer whom I trust on his healthy, balanced judgement. I have based my eyepiece and mount purchases based on what he uses for his own observations. I have read many times his suggestion to manufacturers to come up with a mid range altazimuth mount to sit between Skytee 2 and more expensive ones. 

I think Rowan brothers have missed an opportunity here to communicate properly with potential customers of their new product. That is just my opinion and I hope their new mount sells well.

I hope that Alan and I can provide what you are looking for, I’ve had many of the comparable Alt Az mounts so can hopefully give a judgement based on experience. Just ask if you have any particular enquiries. I will do more testing as we go along and the weather allows.

Just to also add, we are not providing reviews at this stage as the mounts are prototypes. We are just testing, and giving visibility to the forum whilst feeding back comments to Rowan for their development. It would not be right to review the prototypes at this stage, that will come later.

• Like 3

As I understand it, this is not a sample of a finished , yet to be released product, but a prototype loaned out by the manufacturer for some field testing. In those circumstances a manufacturer's requirements are for practical feedback from individuals they have an established personal relationship with, not a review for the market.

• Thanks 2

43 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

As I understand it, this is not a sample of a finished , yet to be released product, but a prototype loaned out by the manufacturer for some field testing. In those circumstances a manufacturer's requirements are for practical feedback from individuals they have an established personal relationship with, not a review for the market.

However potential market response information may be useful to Rowan too. Albeit from a small self-selecting minority.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, UKDiver said:

However potential market response information may be useful to Rowan too. Albeit from a small self-selecting minority.

Yep, any feedback is good. Just trying to keep it balanced and focused on things that can be changed, whilst noting for future those things that can’t 👍

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dippy said:

I am not sure as to take this as an unitended slight, I am sure that was not inteded.

I think Rowan were expanding the testing pot, bearing in mind that I was an exponent of the different class of mount to the lovelly AZ100.

As @Stuhas already said but swp the names around.
I will add all I use are Alt-Az mounts and have abroad experience with them, I come from an engineering background as well.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

I hope that Alan and I can provide what you are looking for, I’ve had many of the comparable Alt Az mounts so can hopefully give a judgement based on experience. Just ask if you have any particular enquiries. I will do more testing as we go along and the weather allows.

Just to also add, we are not providing reviews at this stage as the mounts are prototypes. We are just testing, and giving visibility to the forum whilst feeding back comments to Rowan for their development. It would not be right to review the prototypes at this stage, that will come later.

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yep, any feedback is good. Just trying to keep it balanced and focused on things that can be changed, whilst noting for future those things that can’t 👍

Indeed it is and in reality part of what this and I assume @Stu thread are all about.
Rowan are receptive to customer feedback, even the desire for a Pink mount...... but don't get to hopeful on that colour 😉

• Haha 2

25 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Indeed it is and in reality part of what this and I assume @Stu thread are all about.
Rowan are receptive to customer feedback, even the desire for a Pink mount...... but don't get to hopeful on that colour 😉

All jokes aside, a red or grey version will be very welcome.

Another question for AZ100 owners actually: does anyone have experience using their mount with encoders but not with the Nexus DSC? I am thinking whether it would be possible to use another “hand controller” or make my own actually…

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Concordia000 said:

Another question for AZ100 owners actually: does anyone have experience using their mount with encoders but not with the Nexus DSC? I am thinking whether it would be possible to use another “hand controller” or make my own actually…

The only thing I’ve done differently is to use a Nexus unit rather than a DSC. This just gives connectivity to a phone or tablet for SkySafari without the additional ‘standalone’ functionality of the DSC. Works very well and is significantly cheaper.

35 minutes ago, johninderby said:

If ypu look up the colour Rowan you will find it is a shade of red.. 😁

35CE8B18-DB76-4812-8E2C-EAF6CE2CCF57.jpeg

Spooky ! That's the exact colour the birds used to deposit on my  white car's  paintwork in berry season back when I had a rowan tree in the front garden above the parking space ...

• Haha 4
  • Sad 1

9 minutes ago, Tiny Clanger said:

Spooky ! That's the exact colour the birds used to deposit on my  white car's  paintwork in berry season back when I had a rowan tree in the front garden above the parking space ...

So truly Rowan Red then ...

And you know it really is poor weather when the convesation turns to bird droppings (being polite here) 🤣

Edited by Alan White
  • Haha 4