Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ75 Mount

Alan White

@Alan White it has taken 2 months but I have now followed your lead and fixed the DSC mounting "The White Way" direct to my AZ100 with a single 1/4 UNC screw and a 20mm spacer in black aluminium. New hole in bracket so it just clears the new AZ motor, not an issue on AZ 75 of course.

20230201_224847.thumb.jpg.0a22e10af6dc4c5628cb434a6aae4d33.jpg

20230201_223932.jpg.18a6cea07ea7657a1395218198c16d31.jpgLooks  very neat, dead solid and is just as easy to read. Thanks!

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

I have joined the club and bought an AZ75 with encoders. The AZ100 got a bit ungainly with motors and now sits on the pier, though technically still transportable. My small portable mount (based on Vixen AP modules) is not quite man enough for the FC100df fully dressed, but is perfect with FS60. (It does hold it steady but any clumsy mistake and the bearings could need resetting - tedious stripdown.)

So the A75 is the 'goldilocks' transportable solution for the FC100 and all three mounts (bears?) share the Nexus DSC. Sort of 'one ring to control them all' (mixed metaphors but only one software to remember - good for ageing braincells).

Fit of the DSC bracket is neat (tight 🙂) but only required an extra hole. It sits well on UNI tripod and, like any Rowan, will last forever. First 'light' tonight🫰🫰🫰 

20230417_163818.thumb.jpg.11631ccfcd6e64c438f724fb32071f95.jpg20230417_163419.thumb.jpg.3294dd782f918d06a8c3d38ad48c7aa6.jpgk,

20230417_163206.thumb.jpg.3e9d89937adcdf301933cfdb3ebb92ba.jpg

• Like 9

First light was brief. Aligned in twilight and 100% cloud came 1/2 hr before end of astronomic dusk. However, enough to be pleased, despite groping for absent slow motions a few times 🙂.. The horizontal stop is far more use than I realised - eg alignment start position  , setting up and taking down scope were all assisted. Clutches can be set just so and movement is smooth, even at higher mags for Venus and Mars (waiting for stars.....).  I knew it would be quite solid with a 4" but actually never noticed any shakes. I haven't  used a pure push too for sometime (at least not one this size) so there is some learning curve before it becomes second nature. Sometimes less is more, it's nice to have the choice.

• Like 4

A question for those with experience with this mount... I intend to mount a 5" refractor on an AZ75. Fully loaded, I anticipate the scope will weigh ~9kg. Is there any benefit to adding a counterweight on the other side, or may I get away without it?

4 hours ago, The60mmKid said:

A question for those with experience with this mount... I intend to mount a 5" refractor on an AZ75. Fully loaded, I anticipate the scope will weigh ~9kg. Is there any benefit to adding a counterweight on the other side, or may I get away without it?

I agree with Stephenstargazer. The mount will cope with the weight without any issues and will remain smooth. A counterweight is only necessary if you feel the whole setup is likely to be unstable and may tip over. I have my tripods at least half extended to have a wider base, and dig the spikes into the grass which makes the whole thing totally solid.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

So as an update, I have been using the AZ75 with my Altair 152 f5.9 Achromat, 
well within weight limit and without a counterweight, if well ballanced, which it is, things are buttery smooth.
I managed a Lunar session a few nights ago topping out at 3.5mm Pentax XW giving 257x magnification and 
all was steady and smooth.
Says alot for the Rowan build quality in my view.

All mounted on a Skywatcher 1.75" SS tripod. 
Picture for illustration only as in this its in WL mode with a Lunt Wedge and a 12.5 Morpeheus. Took the picture in daylight of course.

634A0623-312A-46A8-A156-C975CEBE4ABC.thumb.jpeg.b518db887366b8b2f09641259422e926.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 10

• 2 weeks later...
On 22/04/2023 at 01:22, The60mmKid said:

Thanks! Another question: What is the width of the mount from saddle to saddle? Apologies if this has been addressed. I've read through the whole thread, but by page 13 I forget what happened on page 2 ☺️

Sorry for slow reply

Flange face to glance face 186mm, outer saddle to outer saddle 227mm, hope that helps

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Stupid question perhaps, but here goes: Has anyone used one of the AZ100 pier risers with the AZ75? Judging from the schematics over at Rowan, it seems like these risers are fully compatible with the AZ75. It would be nice to have some extra distance to the tripod legs when observing with a front-heavy scope. Thanks!

1 hour ago, Hans Joakim said:

Stupid question perhaps, but here goes: Has anyone used one of the AZ100 pier risers with the AZ75? Judging from the schematics over at Rowan, it seems like these risers are fully compatible with the AZ75. It would be nice to have some extra distance to the tripod legs when observing with a front-heavy scope. Thanks!

Yes, @Stu has done this I believe.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hans Joakim said:

1 hour ago, Alan White said:

Yes, @Stu has done this I believe.

Yes indeed. It all works very well together. Thought I had a picture of it but it seems not.

• Like 1

On 26/11/2022 at 11:27, Stu said:

@Neil P Here you go, AZ100 and AZ75, both go on nicely and easy to swap round. You loosen the screws on the pillar and rotate it slightly and it just lifts out. Swap the top section onto the other mount and pop it back in again. The top plate is designed to take both mounts.

0719FB16-BFB6-4743-B882-FC4879CD53BC.jpeg

C471FDC7-BAEA-46B8-9AE5-7D3469EC4872.jpeg

A091802C-9BD5-40EF-BBE5-09D6F6B1736A.jpeg

@Hans Joakim - this is @Stu's pic. It was a few pages ago in this thread. Fresh in memory for me as i was reading this thread over the weekend and was having a think about my own options vis-a-vis the AZ75 as i have the AZ100 and riser already. Cheers

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @josefk! Much appreciated. 

This riser solution looks terrific. It's Rowan, so of course it is great. 

Very practical, as one can have the main riser element permanently attached to the Berlebach tripod head, and the top riser plate attached to the AZ. I'll be ordering one of these!

• Like 1

I've tried a couple of pricey friction mounts and found them to have too much stiction, even with the OTA balanced, etc.  How is 75 for fine movements like you can do with slo-mo?  I'd get an AZ100 and eliminate the question, but I already have other reasonably performing mounts with slo-mo and I'm not sure my astro budget can accommodate a 100 right now.

Also, is a guide bar / handle a nice to have or a need to have or ???  

Thanks!

• Like 1

Prompted by two things, @jjohnson3803 post above and my desire to get a BB tripod again after many years absent.

Slow mo was done to death during the early parts of this and @Stu thread as well.
As designed, its smooth so I and others now think no need for SM, but others think otherwise.
Put it this way I use a 3mm ep with it, I find it just fine on Lunar etc.

I fitted my long in its wrap, pan handle and just wow, makes the AZ75 even more magic.
And I hope this answers the above question to.

IMG_6660.thumb.jpeg.26dfec946c58e483cf67b9bfd99883ff.jpeg

It’s on the SW 1.75 for now, just working out height for either Uni18 or Uni28…

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 7

Thanks to @Alan White and @Stu for the comprehensive write ups of this mount. I love it, it’s soooo buttery smooth. I will not need slow mo cos it’s such a premium and precision mount that nudging it is a dream. 
Incredibly versatile too, I’ve got it set-up with the FC-76DC Tak clamp and ADM vixen saddle which means I can literally mount every scope I own on it. Addition of the pan handle makes it even better!

Absolutely rock solid on the SW steel tripod (which needed the 3/8” puck adapter); can’t wait to start using it for the planetary season and it will entirely remove all vibration. 

Don’t get me wrong, I liked the AZ4 but there was some stiction and it was a bit rough and ready but this is a Bugatti of AZ mounts. Extremely happy with the purchase. 😁

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 09/05/2022 at 14:06, AdeKing said:

RAM mounts are heavy duty device holders for mountain bikes, quad bikes, 4x4, boats, etc I think.

RAM produce a really good modular system, for attaching almost any device to almost anything but quite bulky I seem to remember when I had one to hold a GPS on my mountain bike.

https://www.ram-mount.co.uk/index.php?route=product/category&path=203_205

I'd guess that the holes in question are the ones either side of the threaded hole that the DSC Shelf ball joint screws into if that makes sense.

After reading this thread I decided to use RAM Mount parts to mount my cell phone to my AZ75 during observation sessions. It sure beats putting it in and out of my pocket all night. Thanks for the suggestion.

20230823_105500.jpg

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Alan White said:

Nice one @PatientObserver 👍

How about a side on image and one with the phone in place? Please.

That way we can see how it all works.

I needed the phone to take the original image; hence the reason I did not include it originally.

It is three parts:

RAM Mounts Cameras Motion Sensors Devices Tough-Ball with 1/4"-20 x .25" Threaded Stud RAP-B-379U-252025 with B Size 1" Ball https://a.co/d/hx1MTxs

RAM Mounts RAP-B-201U-A Composite Double Socket Arm - Short Arm Compatible with B Size 1" Ball Components https://a.co/d/cQH74ja

Peak Design Mobile 1" Ball Adapter Mount (Locking with Integrated Vibration Dampening) https://a.co/d/1FvZtuw

There are multiple (and less expensive) options for a phone mount. I happen to like Peak Design products and had recently replaced my cell phone case, so the Peak Design mount made sense for me.

My camera was configured to auto focus, and I did not take the best photos of the RAM Mounts, but hopefully it is clear enough to see.

DSC01736.JPG

DSC01735.JPG

DSC01733.JPG

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Alan White said:

Is that a Nexus on the front.

Yes indeed, indeed it is. I did not know that it came with a mount for the Nexus II, and a saw a solution I liked that used a SmallRig battery holder, so I did the same. I posted it in Stu's thread (where I found the solution), but here is an image of it:

NexusII.jpg

• Like 2

• 6 months later...
On 04/12/2022 at 14:13, Dek Rowan Astro said:

There is insufficient room in the enclosure for a connector like that, or another switch for that matter.

We did consider fitting a auxiliary output but managing what users would connect to it is impossible, and I can guarantee someone will try to jump start their car and wonder why the controller started to smoke 😉

A 5v USB power bank may work, I'll check out the schematic and if the power side look plausible, give it a test.

ATB

Derek.

This is the last I have heard about the AZ75 control box. Is it going to be offered or not?? Especially now the Rowan planetarium is pretty nicely sorted on ths AZ100.and even better if usb c power to the 'Pi'

@Dek Rowan Astro ?

On 11/03/2024 at 21:49, Stephenstargazer said:

This is the last I have heard about the AZ75 control box. Is it going to be offered or not?? Especially now the Rowan planetarium is pretty nicely sorted on ths AZ100.and even better if usb c power to the 'Pi'

@Dek Rowan Astro ?

The control box is suitable for both AZ100 and AZ75. It is effectively the AZ100 controller but without the motor connectors.

The latest version of the AZ100 GOTO firmware has a DSC option in the config, so you could actually use the AZ100 GOTO controller as a DSC on say a AZ75.

We're just about to put the DSC version of the controller on the web site, should see it there next week.

ATB

Derek

• Thanks 1