Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rowan AZ75 Mount

Alan White

1 minute ago, Concordia000 said:

I soon need a manual alt-az mount to handle my 6kg (!!!) 4" triplet APO for visual. I wonder if the AZ75 is the thing I need or should I go for something like AOK's Vamo Traveller which is substantially lighter...

Personally, having used both, I think the AZ75 will handle a 6kg scope better. Do you need to travel with the mount? That’s the only reason I could see to go with the Vamo, nice mount notwithstanding.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stu said:

Personally, having used both, I think the AZ75 will handle a 6kg scope better. Do you need to travel with the mount? That’s the only reason I could see to go with the Vamo, nice mount notwithstanding.

Potentially want to travel with it, though that is not set in stone. If I do travel with any mount, it's likely I will bring my RST-135 for AP and visual rather than a manual alt-az just for visual.

The Goto on the RST is really useful for navigating unfamiliar skies. Having lived under B9 skies virtually for the entirety of my life I often find darker skies... challenging because there are too many stars and I can't tell which is which.

• Like 1

The push to with the 75 is equally helpful, as a travel mount, depends on how your travelling.

Sorry I am not inputting much at the minute but have a family member in hospital at present and a bit distracted.

• Sad 1

8 hours ago, Fedele said:

Am I wrong or hoped that the changes were made on the AZ75 to accommodate the goto kit?

No, the AZ75 will only be push to. I know you don’t/won’t like it Fedele but it’s a great mount regardless and others will.

• Like 3

45 minutes ago, Fedele said:

I saw a photo with the modification for encoders and cable connections. So it can host these and nexus

Yes, it can have encoders fitted, which the test mounts do, and I’m using it with a Nexus. Works well.

594A5D58-2458-4E95-B662-E03901C96125.jpeg

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fedele said:

I saw a photo with the modification for encoders and cable connections. So it can host these and nexus

Fedele, yes it was designed and always was for use with Encoders, indeed all test units have them fitted.
In fact we said that at day 1 when showing the pre-production units and some images show the Nexus fitted on @Stu thread and on my own with the Nexus DSC fitted.

In my first post in this thread I said:

'The mount will be available with or without encoders fitted, the version I am testing has them fitted, and I will use them with my own Nexus DSC unit that I already own and use on my OOUK Dobson, so something that I am familiar with.'

The encoders are an option at purchse as with the AZ100 unit.
It works very well with these in use or without.

The GoTo is for mounts such as the AZ100 with slow motions built in, this is how the motors fit.
The two mounts are different, as are all other manufacturers unit as well.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 2

Well lucky me, I have a clear sky and gaps in my diary today 😃
So what else to do but set up dual Ha and WL Solar on the AZ75, first time with the revised mount.

All works very smoothly as before and easily ballanced with the two scopes.
The mount is as I suspected now very, very nice indeed, the minor wrinkles have been ironed smooth.
Clearly needs a few night time run outs as well, perhaps the sky Gods will oblige.

Having a ball, Sol is obligingly active as well and keeping my mind off current situations in the world as well as my own world, lots going on out of our control at present.

B09B72F1-9F35-47E9-B049-0BE2C9C56858.thumb.jpeg.e036d6ba77fc70a1e777df3a461120fd.jpeg

42BC12B9-3D60-4F35-8B11-4CF00D57DA0C.thumb.jpeg.064298dc5571d855ac4fc655470b20ce.jpeg

That observing area always looks nice in the sunshine.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 8

I also grabbed a short Lunar session with the ED103 and binoviewer and can report all went well.

Got to use my 20mm Plossl’s as well, with good 3d view.
The mount is very smooth and controlled in movement, without feeling a need for slow motion or tracking.

No picture taken, sorry. Have to fit life around Hospital visiting at present.

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...

Well testing, aka using the AZ75 continues as time and weather allows, so a lot of Solar and some Lunar and Starlight testing continues.
All going very well, You just forget about the mount, as you should in use.
I have been using the enciders with my Nexus DSC computer and all working very well.

Having seen the Rowan own unit at the PAS in Kettering and asking nicely to Derek to try one,
well I hope one will wing its way to me for 'testing' very soon.

All I can say for now, dual mounted, single mounted and a lot of use, its a very sweet mount.

Seen with a SolarView SV50 Ha scope and my ED103 in White Light mode.

A5D7E253-11F9-435F-A02D-A11C9CBE7704.thumb.jpeg.1c65f67776db55766c4dc9143d61973a.jpeg

BB0CF309-CE4E-4537-87E7-80DF8F493DF6.thumb.jpeg.68b56a9069a3bada2c3f7cbd007639cc.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Still using it (oops testing it) and the mount just gets out of the way, so working well.

Been Solar, more WL with the 103 and Lunt wedge than the SV50, trying to wean myself from Ha for now as cannot afford an Ha scope and although enjoying the loan, know it’s out of my reach for now.

Also Lunar with mono view and binoview, loved it. Then double stars and bits that take my interest at the time.

Each and every session the mount does what it should, just work with smoothness and ease, the altitude lock works a treat, the clutches are smooth and the mount just moves so smoothly.

I do wish to try the Nexus DSC with sky safari or similar and phone or tablet, but struggling in how to do this, but await the Roman box for testing as this will be set up to do this.

I know the AZ75 is close to be marketed, it’s exciting, so many more can share this experience that I have been lucky to test, I just hope folks think it’s a nice as I do.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Used the mount most of last week for Solar and used all day most days at that too.

I managed a Teams meeting at the scope, just had a camera issue so could only use sound of course 😉

Anyway the ED103 and SV50 were dual mounted and all working well, still super smooth and no issues, the mount has been outside undercover for a month and nothing changed, which is good.

E21814E3-F119-4A86-8404-BE1F79D5C312.thumb.jpeg.9c4edf9751872bcb7d554f38d9341649.jpeg

During this testing period, I have become so happy with using my 103 that I sold my 10” OOUK Dobson and am now sold on the smaller refractor route for my observing. I know some will think this a sensible move and others will think I am nuts. 
So one thing the testing has done is focus my mind on where I am going (for now).

The AZ75 just vanishes in use with the above scopes, it could clearly handle larger longer scopes in my opinion, but not owning these and no one sending me ones to test with, it remains an opinion. 
The mount is sitting on a Skywatcher EQ5 steel tripod and Skywatcher Riser that was cut down by me to 8” a number of years ago, the whole set up is rock solid, very smooth and being a joy to use.

The only issue is not mount related, but my eyes, when using the DSC Nexus I need readers to see the screen, when I look at the sky I need my distance glasses…..such a royal pain in the rear end. So would using a link to my phone or tablet help? Or would I have the same issues? One to find out I suppose.

And I have been out in the dark too

CE64142F-D80D-4D22-A7AE-6A9B2259A731.thumb.jpeg.5878bd6256e280d838024ae52e3302c7.jpeg

Edited by Alan White
Added puctures
  • Like 7

Interesting to hear that you are now using the ED103 for your observing and have sold the 10” dob. I can see the logic as I am currently using my ED102 almost exclusively and would be perfectly happy with that as my only scope. It’s now mounted on an AZ4 with lighter tripod so even easier to set up. The only trouble is, with DSOs, I do sometimes think I’d get a better view if I hauled out the C8. Of course you don’t have that worry as you have sold your big scope, so you can enjoy your ED103 worry free. 👍

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, RobertI said:

Interesting to hear that you are now using the ED103 for your observing and have sold the 10” dob. I can see the logic as I am currently using my ED102 almost exclusively and would be perfectly happy with that as my only scope. It’s now mounted on an AZ4 with lighter tripod so even easier to set up. The only trouble is, with DSOs, I do sometimes think I’d get a better view if I hauled out the C8. Of course you don’t have that worry as you have sold your big scope, so you can enjoy your ED103 worry free. 👍

That hits the nail on the head.

The 103 does what I want well or very well,
the faint fuzzies are just smaller fainter fuzzies from home anyway, due to the excess LP.

The one scope also makes EP and mount choices simpler as well.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 23/04/2022 at 08:27, Alan White said:

Used the mount most of last week for Solar and used all day most days at that too.

I managed a Teams meeting at the scope, just had a camera issue so could only use sound of course 😉

Anyway the ED103 and SV50 were dual mounted and all working well, still super smooth and no issues, the mount has been outside undercover for a month and nothing changed, which is good.

E21814E3-F119-4A86-8404-BE1F79D5C312.thumb.jpeg.9c4edf9751872bcb7d554f38d9341649.jpeg

During this testing period, I have become so happy with using my 103 that I sold my 10” OOUK Dobson and am now sold on the smaller refractor route for my observing. I know some will think this a sensible move and others will think I am nuts. 
So one thing the testing has done is focus my mind on where I am going (for now).

The AZ75 just vanishes in use with the above scopes, it could clearly handle larger longer scopes in my opinion, but not owning these and no one sending me ones to test with, it remains an opinion. 
The mount is sitting on a Skywatcher EQ5 steel tripod and Skywatcher Riser that was cut down by me to 8” a number of years ago, the whole set up is rock solid, very smooth and being a joy to use.

The only issue is not mount related, but my eyes, when using the DSC Nexus I need readers to see the screen, when I look at the sky I need my distance glasses…..such a royal pain in the rear end. So would using a link to my phone or tablet help? Or would I have the same issues? One to find out I suppose.

And I have been out in the dark too

CE64142F-D80D-4D22-A7AE-6A9B2259A731.thumb.jpeg.5878bd6256e280d838024ae52e3302c7.jpeg

Can’t really relate to your eye struggles (yet), but I’d imagine the advantage of a tablet screen is that it could either show more details or show the same things, but bigger.

If you connect an iPad to SkySafari (and I imagine you will be doing that because SkySafari is the gold standard), what it would do is that it will show a cursor at where you are pointing and arrows directing you to the target. You’d still need to do the initial alignment, but you can make the text bigger in the settings. The downside is that the iPad screen is much brighter even at the lowest settings.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Concordia000 said:

The downside is that the iPad screen is much brighter even at the lowest settings.

Can SkySafari be set to green instead of red for night time viewing. The eye is less sensitive to red than green, so if using green the screen brightness can be turned down.

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Can SkySafari be set to green instead of red for night time viewing. The eye is less sensitive to red than green, so if using green the screen brightness can be turned down.

Yes, it can 

• Thanks 1

The only issue is not mount related, but my eyes, when using the DSC Nexus I need readers to see the screen, when

My sympathies! You could try one of those realy cheap strip readers for oldies (like me) and mount it above the DSC  screen? It is not a problem with brightness as DSC screen can be turned right up for daytime use. Low light myopia is actually very common. I luckily have good daylight and night vision but still struggle to read in low light. 

Keep us informed on the 75, have e joyed  this topic!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Still testing away and its still working well.

I did have a drama on Lunar yesterday evening, suddenly woud not move in altitude, most odd indeed....
well until I realised it was doing what I had set it to do with the Altitude Lock on having just changed from Bino viewing to Mono.
So all good with the mount but not so good with the grey matter.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

46 minutes ago, Alan White said:

Still testing away and its still working well.

I did have a drama on Lunar yesterday evening, suddenly woud not move in altitude, most odd indeed....
well until I realised it was doing what I had set it to do with the Altitude Lock on having just changed from Bino viewing to Mono.
So all good with the mount but not so good with the grey matter.

Alan, I was rushing to set up the 102ED and Olympus last night to catch the nearly full quarter Moon, the camera was on and I couldn't see the Moon in the frame when the finder indicated it should be there.  I panicked for nearly 5 mts - until I realised I had left the lens cap on the telescope!  🙄

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Hi Alan,

For what its worth IMHO if you struggle to read the DSC Nexus at night then you will definitely struggle with sky safari on the phone particularly if you want to read text related to searching or typing a note entry (rather than just using the sky display part) and particularly so in the the dim red night vision mode.

I use both DSC Nexus and Sky Safari. For comparison; in the daytime i probably need my readers for comfortable use of the phone but not for anything on the the DSC Nexus display. At night that translates to while i can make out the Alt/Az prompts and the large text for catalogue names on the DSC Nexus - without my glasses i can't read anything else. At the same time on my phone at night without my glasses  i can't see anything at all except the sky display. 

I'm pretty shocked actually how bad my eyesight is in the dark versus in daylight.

Cheers

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, johninderby said:

That’s why I use an iPad. 👍🏻

i'm waiting for two ram mount parts as i type so by the weekend i can make the same move 🙂

Does the AZ75 have the three unassigned (i.e unused) tapped holes at the base of the mount like the AZ100? Perfect location for ram mount fittings.

Cheers

• Like 1