Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Rowan AZ75 Mount

Alan White

21 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Is there any difference between the HEQ5 and EQ6 tripod fits with regard to AZ100 mounts, or are they compatible with both ?

Reason i ask is i have a spare EQ5 top plate for a Planet tripod, so if i ever go down the AZ100 route........

I have the AZ-EQ5-GT mount which has the Skywatcher 1.75" tripod and it has a different top to the 2" tripod which I believe is for the HEQ6 mount. The EQ6 has a larger diameter indent in the mounting plate on the tripod and I think the dowel is offset by more.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Space Hopper said:

Is there any difference between the HEQ5 and EQ6 tripod fits with regard to AZ100 mounts, or are they compatible with both ?

Reason i ask is i have a spare EQ5 top plate for a Planet tripod, so if i ever go down the AZ100 route........

I am unsure on this, but if you post this in the AZ100 thread folks may know.

I will ask Rowan when I see them this week though.

• Thanks 1

On 27/11/2022 at 20:37, Space Hopper said:

I believe the AZ100 comes with M12 tapped hole as standard (http://www.rowanastronomy.com/productsa6.htm#az100mount), so EQ6 type top plates should be compatible. The EQ5 top plate comes with the smaller M10 if I'm not mistaken, so may not fit out of the box...

John worked on a nice "dual EQ5/EQ6" solution some years back that may be useful: 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 27/11/2022 at 19:37, Space Hopper said:

Reason i ask is i have a spare EQ5 top plate for a Planet tripod, so if i ever go down the AZ100 route

hello Rob, whilst the AZ75 can be ordered with different threads the AZ100 is normally M12. However Rowan sell an M10/Pier adapter that they state "allows use of EQ5 or HEQ5 tripods". If you ever need one I have a spare! Still enjoying the monocular when walking 🦆

20220913_122508.jpg

• Like 3

1011167C-1507-43A9-881C-144FF2ABF8EA.thumb.jpeg.1ac158d84f084f775d46fc4064fd431f.jpeg

Following on from my visit to Rowan this week, 
we discussed my method of Nexus DSC shelf fitting without a ball head.
In fact I left the mount and shelf with them to ponder.

Suggestion is new holes in the shelf that align with the metric dual holes
and then the shelf is wobble free.

C471FDC7-BAEA-46B8-9AE5-7D3469EC4872.jpeg

The two holes in @Stu image show where my image has the  shelf fitted.

Please feel free to name your future offspring after me in thanks for such an amazing suggestion 😉

• Like 2

So, just took delivery of the AZ75! Very excited to get the mount up on a Berlebach UNI, but running into an issue with the length of the stock EQ6 bolt on the Berlebach top… the photo below shows the EQ6 top with the bolt as far up as it can go. Since the diameter of the AZ75 is too large for it to slot down into the recess in the top, the stock bolt will not grip the M12 tapped hole in the AZ75… 

Any ideas or suggestions for a quick workaround?

Photos will follow when I got this sorted…

IMG_0228.jpg

1 hour ago, Hans Joakim said:

So, just took delivery of the AZ75! Very excited to get the mount up on a Berlebach UNI, but running into an issue with the length of the stock EQ6 bolt on the Berlebach top… the photo below shows the EQ6 top with the bolt as far up as it can go. Since the diameter of the AZ75 is too large for it to slot down into the recess in the top, the stock bolt will not grip the M12 tapped hole in the AZ75… 

Any ideas or suggestions for a quick workaround?

Photos will follow when I got this sorted…

IMG_0228.jpg

I had exactly the same issue. Just remove the bolt (there is a rubber O Ring which stops it unscrewing) and find a replacement longer bolt. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, Stu said:

I had exactly the same issue. Just remove the bolt (there is a rubber O Ring which stops it unscrewing) and find a replacement longer bolt. 

Got it! Didn’t see that o-ring before you pointed it out. Have the stock bolt removed now and will pick up a longer M12 on my way home from work tomorrow. 

Thanks a lot Stu!

Edited by Hans Joakim
  • Like 3

9 minutes ago, Hans Joakim said:

Got it! Didn’t see that o-ring before you pointed it out. Have the stock bolt removed now and will pick up a longer M12 on my way home from work tomorrow. 

Thanks a lot Stu!

Excellent! It confused me for a while, and wasn’t the easiest to remove but glad you are sorted now 👍

• Like 1

There it is! I received the AZ75 yesterday, in excellent condition and safely packaged by FLO.

After replacing the stock EQ6 bolt with a longer threaded bolt (75 mm), I finally got the AZ75 secured to my UNI28 this afternoon. I am waiting for the clouds to hopefully clear later tonight, and have in the meantime updated the firmware on the Nexus and gotten to know the mount a bit better using my currently only scope, the TSAPO96. Please pardon the guidescope in the photos below; I was just too excited to get things underway! 

The mount itself is very smooth in both axes, and I found it easy to adjust the two clutches to get nice, smooth operation. The machining and construction is simply first class. Perched on top of the Berlebach, this is probably the finest piece of furniture I own.

Being used to iOptrons Go-To GEMs, this is refreshingly simple and quick to setup for observation. We are normally not particularly well-off weather-wise in south-western Norway, so having a lighter and more grab-and-go setup was a consideration when deciding on the AZ75. An amazing piece of hardware, and I am very, very pleased so far. 

Hoping to share some more impressions once the clouds lift some!

IMG_0230.jpg

IMG_0229.jpg

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, Hans Joakim said:

We are normally not particularly well-off weather-wise in south-western Norway, so having a lighter and more grab-and-go setup was a consideration when deciding on the AZ75.

The best ever dark sky I saw (before I was really into astronomy unfortunately), was staying in a friends cabin in Geilo (on the edge of a glacier I recall 🤔), about 30 years ago.... no lights anywhere (nearest civilisation was miles and miles away)... I recall the sky being just littered with stars, probably more points of light than dark bits... wonderful 😀 I need to find such a place again 🤞

Looks like a lovely setup you have there, and hope you get loads of stunning views with it 🤞😀

• Like 2

On 30/11/2022 at 17:26, Hans Joakim said:

So, just took delivery of the AZ75! Very excited to get the mount up on a Berlebach UNI, but running into an issue with the length of the stock EQ6 bolt on the Berlebach top…

This can be a problem with AZ100 too on EQ6 Berlebach.  I posted a quick solution for DIY as it can be hard to find a longer waisted hand nut. But then made an adjustable one:

https://stargazerslounge.com/topic/345938-rowan-az100-mount-owners-thread/?do=findComment&comment=4057372

• Like 2

AZ75 arrived from Rowan with a few special bits fitted, this is my mount with a pre-production Rowan goodie fitted.

77E415E4-C4A4-4330-AF1C-8B004EBF6C4A.thumb.jpeg.01202d07b7765d5e405a05cd1c6c0174.jpeg

Very familiar design if you have an AZ100 Motor set, minus a few bits like motors of course.

F2BAF138-8621-40DD-AD96-8A8C953FBC03.thumb.jpeg.0ea965bed60927f5f7311c9160191676.jpeg

0BD238FE-9EE4-4D97-BD66-049B819B0E61.thumb.jpeg.9673009b5dc042b9f3b98593f6294606.jpeg

I managed to convince the lads to let me test and feedback on this, it’s been shown at a few shows so far so familiar to some.

Edited by Alan White
  • Like 4

Motor controler with no motors? You had better tell us what it does do!  Presumably the WiFi and app?

Looks same size as Nexus, but slightly smaller than DSC. Does it have an internal battery like them ?  An alternative route to Sky Safari or is there a long term plan to something else ??? Intrigueing 🤔

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2

27 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

Push to without the Nexus DSC, correct?

A lot less space taken up than the Nexus DSC, however looks very similar to a Nexus II.

Mounting it inside would be the next step?

Yes I guess so, replacement for a Nexus and a much neater design and fit.

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Stu said:

Yes I guess so, replacement for a Nexus and a much neater design and fit.

One thing missing is that I'd imagine the power requirements are low, but there is a 12 v power supply required.

Why not have a built in battery, that way no cords to get tangled and a lot less fiddly.

Does the Nexus II have a rechargeable battery built in?

• Like 1

43 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

One thing missing is that I'd imagine the power requirements are low, but there is a 12 v power supply required.

Why not have a built in battery, that way no cords to get tangled and a lot less fiddly.

It would be easy to do, however, easy doesn't mean cheap.

Simply, the expected sales wouldn't justify the separate development and more stringent certification costs of a battery  powered unit.

ATB

Derek.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Deadlake said:

Thing is, the cords don’t get tangled so it’s not really an issue.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I have not had time to power up and play and probably will not get a chance until next week,
life is keeping me a tad busy at present.

What I have seen is it’s a Wi-Fi link and the app and very small and tidy,
I do not see internal fitting needed as the whole idea is modular after all.

It was very much on show at the IAS and at Kettering before that, so I expect a number of SGLers have seen it.

I am just pleased to have my own AZ75 and aim to get a nice tripod for it soon, 
it deserves better than my old SW 1.75” one.

Watch this space, but don’t forget this is the AZ75 thread.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, Deadlake said:

Yes USB rechargeable Lithium. Rather handy ?

I was so busy checking the AZ100 motors at IAS that I did not spot this on the AZ75 🙂. One thing about the 75/100 control boxes that would be nice is switched 12v outlets, less problem to certify??  

As there are no motors could this 75 version be made to work on a USB supply, which are plentiful and small, or even a PP9 battery?

Edited by Stephenstargazer
  • Like 2

On 30/11/2022 at 14:53, Alan White said:

1011167C-1507-43A9-881C-144FF2ABF8EA.thumb.jpeg.1ac158d84f084f775d46fc4064fd431f.jpeg

Following on from my visit to Rowan this week, 
we discussed my method of Nexus DSC shelf fitting without a ball head.
In fact I left the mount and shelf with them to ponder.

Suggestion is new holes in the shelf that align with the metric dual holes
and then the shelf is wobble free.

C471FDC7-BAEA-46B8-9AE5-7D3469EC4872.jpeg

The two holes in @Stu image show where my image has the  shelf fitted.

Please feel free to name your future offspring after me in thanks for such an amazing suggestion 😉

Good idea for a simple fixing, but I like my DSC inclined. I can feel an AWesome new bracket taking shape in the workshop soon....

2 hours ago, Stephenstargazer said:

One thing about the 75/100 control boxes that would be nice is switched 12v outlets, less problem to certify??  

As there are no motors could this 75 version be made to work on a USB supply, which are plentiful and small, or even a PP9 battery?

GX12 switched outlet for the AZ100 could make sense.

35 minutes ago, Deadlake said:

GX12 switched outlet for the AZ100 could make sense.

There is insufficient room in the enclosure for a connector like that, or another switch for that matter.

We did consider fitting a auxiliary output but managing what users would connect to it is impossible, and I can guarantee someone will try to jump start their car and wonder why the controller started to smoke 😉

A 5v USB power bank may work, I'll check out the schematic and if the power side look plausible, give it a test.

ATB

Derek.

• Like 2