SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Only One Telescope!?

Sunshine

2 hours ago, Gogleddgazer said:

I reckon that I am still searching for my forever 'scope, but even after only 12 months in the game  I have a better idea of what that might look like - and tend to agree with aa6ww above - needs to find that sweet spot between light grab and portability/ease of set up. I am erring towards 4" apo refractor, probably a double rather than triple as i sense imaging is unlikely to be something I will stick with. I love my Photoline 130, but it is damned heavy and in time will become too heavy for my aging frame to lunk outside. My Tak 76 is a joy to use, but I am conscious of its small aperture being a little limiting. Time will tell where I leap, but I probably need to do some side by side comparisons to see what the real differences are with something that sits between the two.

I'm sensing  a drift towards a premium 4" apo here.

A much underrated and yet superb such scope is the Vixen ED103s.. lightweight, great optics and they come up used from time to time for c£600-£800.

Dave

IMG_20170828_104456558.jpg.1e5573e376c17a3d8405cbe485000b2a.jpg

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, F15Rules said:

A much underrated and yet superb such scope is the Vixen ED103s.. lightweight, great optics and they come up used from time to time for c£600-£800.

Dave

Indeed so, that kind of thing seems to sit in the sweet spot for longevity and utility, albeit I've not looked through one yet! I've reading up on and lusting after a Tak TSA 102, but wonder whether I haven't simply succumbed to Takitis having fallen in love with the aesthetics, engineering and image quality of my FC 76 D!

2 hours ago, F15Rules said:

Dave

Couldn’t disagree with that Dave. I’d be perfectly happy with the Vixen if restricted to one scope. Have yet to actually look through one, but it’s on my priority list.
If I had dark skies at home, then a Newtonian would make most sense, but living with light pollution and requiring a travel friendly scope makes a 4” refractor the most flexible and satisfying compromise. Ideally, it would be aircraft friendly too - various options there, though looking at something a bit faster.

I guess the choice of "forever" scope depends on your observing interests :icon_scratch:

If probing into the deep sky to track down faint targets is your primary joy, a 4 inch aperture scope could well leave you "forever" wanting more aperture.

If however solar system targets plus double stars and some "light" deep sky observing are your bag, then a 4 inch might be just the ticket :smiley:

I can fully understand Ed Ting's #1 choice though - it actually offers you a wide range of observing possibilities :thumbright:

• Like 1

Surely the question is the problem,  not which is the "one scope to rule them all"?

For there to be one scope, there has to be one task? Looking for wide field views is not the same as looking at a planet or a DSO.

I don't believe there is 1 answer to all  problems.

JMO

On 19/09/2021 at 16:35, John said:

My favourite quote from that is "you wind up spending a lot of money to eventually find out that you didn't need to spent a lot of money" :thumbright:

From the age of twelve I've spent a lot of money on telescopes and when I got to fifty I bought one good telescope and no electronics anywhere near it. Its been a wonder filled journey and Ive never been happier. Ed's right. But isnt this the path.. 

Edited by StarryEyed
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, Chris said:

That was a really cool video, I do appreciate Ed's story telling. However, ironically it made we want loads of telescopes! 😆

😂. Agreed, and every time I see those beautiful classic white Newts in the background behind Ed, it makes me really hanker after one, or several!

• Haha 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 19/09/2021 at 18:26, Stu said:

Thing is Paul, a newt in an EQ mount is about the worst combination for star hopping really. Upside down view with the RA/Dec movement is quite tricky to master. A dob is much easier, being Alt/Az, or a refractor on an Alt/Az mount, the latter is what I find best for star hopping.

You've just persuaded me to think about ditching the Newtonian on EQ. Just been outside, lovely starry night, disaster.

Only beginning but it kept getting caught on cables then I undid the wrong bolt thinking I might help the movements and tube fell off. Collimation gone.

Back to the drawing board

1 hour ago, bish789 said:

You've just persuaded me to think about ditching the Newtonian on EQ. Just been outside, lovely starry night, disaster.

Only beginning but it kept getting caught on cables then I undid the wrong bolt thinking I might help the movements and tube fell off. Collimation gone.

Back to the drawing board

This is what you need ;) 

Sorry to hear about your problem, hope the scope is ok and just needs collimating.

7CBAC83A-27C3-4359-8E96-3F7E2CE35CEE.jpeg

03F44565-AD37-497E-9446-55C11556271F.jpeg